Author Topic: GCW Zero  (Read 1055117 times)

Articus

Re: GCW Zero
« Reply #2160 on: October 31, 2012, 08:37:17 pm »
Hey guys keep in mind that the majority of this project has been a one man show.  He does have a team of developers and they are doing an excellent job.  This whole project is a huge undertaking for all of them especially if the main planning, and overall execution is being done by one man.  At this point, the entire team has alot at stake, some put down cash, many have contributed their time and knowledge, and their reputation is on the line too.  As a supporter of this device, we too have cash invested, and some have already put in time to port emu/games/apps to GCW0.  I understand we want our units, but as a pre-order, we knew the risks and we knew it would take time.  Lets continue to wait and let the team do what they have to do.  This device is so close.

danilop2k2

• !
« Reply #2161 on: October 31, 2012, 08:44:03 pm »
I got plenty of handhelds to tide me over till I get mine... but I just love getting shinny new things pmsl

Yup, same here :) also recently set up that whole original xbox emu thing, pretty sweet stuff!

NICE, let's talk about all the other consoles we have ,

so we can  hide the fact that we don't even have a firm release date yet !

danilop2k2

• !
« Reply #2162 on: October 31, 2012, 08:45:50 pm »
to those who are getting impatient..

I just received this email from Craig of Open Pandora,

(I am an original Pandora order waiter.. I also paid the extra ages ago to get one sooner so have that too, imagine being sent the following after you had already paid in full over 2 years ago..)

Craig here, from OpenPandora.

We want to give you an update about what's been happening.

Our first PCB manufacturer almost destroyed us by failing to produce over 1000 PCBs at an
acceptable quality - we lost over $250,000, this was a disaster for us.

We're asking you for your help. We have produced a Super-Pandora 2.0 in limited numbers.

We want to ask you to upgrade to this unit for Christmas.

New features include:
A 1Ghz CPU (overclockable to ~1.2Ghz), 512MB of RAM, A Substantially faster 3D chip,
a much more robust case, a new LCD cable & genuine 10-15 hours of full use battery life.

This makes the Pandora 2.0 about twice as fast as the previous model - it's also made
by a new manufacturer in Germany, we have these units ready to ship, but they have cost
us substantially more to manufacture.

The upgrade price is $350. We know you won't all want to do this, but if some of you do
it will help us survive - and help us ship out more orders.

Top level emulators really fly now - PSX, N64, PC (up to Pentium emulation), MAME,
Amiga1200 - as well as Android games (you can run Android now) such as GTA3 & Max Payne -
with real controls - the extra power of the new Pandora is superb.

Please reply if you want to upgrade to this unit. It will hugely help us in making the
Pandora a success and lead on to future developments.

Thanks,

Craig and the OpenPandora team.

another scam.
they flamed me once , they won't ever again

Dexidus

GCW Zero
« Reply #2163 on: October 31, 2012, 08:57:26 pm »
I got plenty of handhelds to tide me over till I get mine... but I just love getting shinny new things pmsl

Yup, same here :) also recently set up that whole original xbox emu thing, pretty sweet stuff!

NICE, let's talk about all the other consoles we have ,

so we can  hide the fact that we don't even have a firm release date yet !

You got issues man. Like dude said, it's a pre-order, you should know what you got into - especially when dealing with gadgets and international shit.

These things happen, it's not in anyone's hands, you can bitch and moan all you want but it won't get your gcw zero in your hands any faster. It's not that your frustration falls on deaf ears, it's that shit happens and no one, including justin can do much, if anything about it.

Just be thankful gcw didn't lose 250k and that everything thus far is working out, aside from a few inevitable hickups.

Erik Twice

« Reply #2164 on: October 31, 2012, 09:49:18 pm »
THE SKY IS FALLING, I WANT MY MONIES BACK!!!!!!!1!!

No wait, it's pretty ok. It hasn't been a long time and communication has been good. I have no complaints.

K-77

• * Former Staff
« Reply #2165 on: October 31, 2012, 10:47:22 pm »
I can't resist really.

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190318102448/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVubd4N4i7M" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVubd4N4i7M</a>

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #2166 on: October 31, 2012, 11:20:08 pm »
Justin oh master oh mighty show us that there is a bright future ahead of us show us the write path oh lord oh mighty one please tell us we took the red pill and not the blue one my master.

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #2167 on: November 01, 2012, 12:20:55 am »

PLEASE FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO OR BITCH TALK ABOUT

It's Halloween. Go out and get laid like the rest of us.

Oh, and thanks for the Pandora letter. My heart goes out to those guys, I really hope they can look back at their project as a success. However, they're a great example of how hard it is to produce a machine that's so complicated. Keep the Zero simple, it'll be here before you know it.

Unless you're one of the complainers who also happened to preorder later than batch #1, which in that case I recommend you update us during your extended wait. If you can't be patient and handle the wait now, it's only going to get worse for you when others start getting theirs. Enjoy!

dewc

« Reply #2168 on: November 01, 2012, 12:28:46 am »
to those who are getting impatient..

I just received this email from Craig of Open Pandora,

(I am an original Pandora order waiter.. I also paid the extra ages ago to get one sooner so have that too, imagine being sent the following after you had already paid in full over 2 years ago..)

Craig here, from OpenPandora.
.... snipped ....

Wow! I find it surprising you're still waiting for your unit.  It must be nerve racking. I received my unit last year, but I also ordered on the first day. I still support the OpenPandora team, but the wait has been long and painful for many.  Now, here I am, waiting for a GCW0. I had faith in the Pandora team and I've faith in the GCW0 team. :-)

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #2169 on: November 01, 2012, 01:26:44 am »
Believe it or not, I took a look at pandora about 4-5y ago and saw the various delays and the fairly egregious pricing and just decided to skip it.  At the time I was scoping netbooks, but at the end of the day I went with a full notebook + discrete GPU which at the time was quite promising, MSI GT725, however that sent me to catalyst(uber shit ati drivers) hell... 'nough said.

In the same vein I've tried myriads of tablets, they're no notebook/netbook/desktop replacement no matter what the dimwit pundits and analysts would like you to believe, so shortly I will be back into scoping the GT725 replacement, however with an nVidia discrete GPU this time as I've just had it with AMD/ATI their crap drivers, and dropping support after a mere 3y meanwhile nVidia is still supporting back to GF2 IIRC or c. 2000. (go figure)

TGor74

« Reply #2170 on: November 01, 2012, 06:59:02 am »
@danilop2k2: It seems like you're trying to incite us to all grab our pitchforks and torches and head out to burn down the GCW castle, but I don't think many people are on the same page as you. I'm just patiently excited (if that is an emotion).

I've got exams til November 20 anyway so I can wait. I haven't even bought the new Pokemon, Doom 3 BFG edition AND I'm not going to buy Halo 4 at launch. (I'm trying to believe this but my friend already has a copy so I'm going to play it in a couple of days and then I'll probably rush out on launch day anyway to get it and then fail all my exams.)

Good idea to discuss what else we are doing though. I have a Dingoo A320 but have only used it with the original emulators. I only just discovered that there are other emus for the native OS. (This is stunning news to noone but me, obviously). I thought I needed to install Dingux, but now I've been playing Lynx and SMS games. Awesome.

@PureWicked.AU: Thanks for posting that email for OpenPandora. I ordered mine a while back and haven't heard anything. I've just sent them an email to remind them that I've paid in full and am still waiting.

ruffnutts

« Reply #2171 on: November 01, 2012, 07:32:27 am »
So glad I aint getting a pandora :)

TGor74

« Reply #2172 on: November 01, 2012, 07:48:34 am »
Winnie the Pooh on the topic of anticipation. He is wiser, and more articulate, than Yoda.

?Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.?
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

?Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although using his GCW-Zero was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to use it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.?
― TGor74, Winnie-the-Pooh

Articus

« Reply #2173 on: November 01, 2012, 08:42:10 am »
@TGor74- I cant do that too!!

?Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.?
― Mark Twain

?Good friends, good books, and a GCW Zero: this is the ideal life.?
― Articus

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #2174 on: November 01, 2012, 08:44:48 am »
<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190318102448/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8dLa5UDV5E" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8dLa5UDV5E</a>

crazyhorse2352

« Reply #2175 on: November 01, 2012, 09:01:21 am »

Sweeeet!, thanks for the video, quake 2 looks awesome!

Barsik

« Reply #2176 on: November 01, 2012, 09:31:04 am »
Will white model without protect glass?

zear

« Reply #2177 on: November 01, 2012, 09:52:21 am »
Will white model without protect glass?
no, qbert removed it because his prototype had scratches all over it

Lardos

« Reply #2178 on: November 01, 2012, 11:50:43 am »
Hello guys.
I come from germany so sorry for my bad english  ::)

I want to ask some basic questions about the GCW - Zero, because I'm really interested in getting one of these gaming consoles:

Is it possible to get one of these here in germany? Or is this product only available in the USA?

Can you run GBA games in fullscreen? Or do you have black stripes around the edges?

Do you know when it will be possible to get one? I already heared that there are still some driver problems. But do you have any suggestion, when we will able to get one?

yeah, that were all my questions I have
many greetings from germany!

K-77

• * Former Staff
« Reply #2179 on: November 01, 2012, 12:23:41 pm »
@Lardos you can find all the answers in this topic.