Author Topic: GCW Zero  (Read 1036689 times)

Veritas

Re: GCW Zero
« Reply #2130 on: October 31, 2012, 02:05:51 am »
so when are we going to get the systems??!!

This is what I'd like to know too.  I mean no offense, and tell me if I'm out of line,  but there does seem to be an inordinate amount of excuses lately.

gcw

• http://GCW-Zero.com
« Reply #2131 on: October 31, 2012, 03:32:42 am »
No excuses just facts and truth I work a day job until this takes off I work in the IT field and I have projects I'm responsible for on a daily basis with hard deadlines. If I had the luxury of quitting my day job and going full time with this I would but I have a family to take care of and bills to pay. 

This has been a long hard road with lots of twists and turns and road blocks that have been over come. When I started this consultants told me that it would take 2 1/2 years from concept to market.  We have done it all in little over 9 months from concept to first shipment almost out the door.

We haven't breached the market front but early adopters will soon be holding in their hands an end product.

So with all that said once I get the units flashing will take 4 to 5 minutes then loading about another 10 minutes and finally testing about 10 minutes so about 25 minutes per unit. 

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #2132 on: October 31, 2012, 03:36:55 am »
Considering project GCW is not his livelihood, it was his own ambitous project and we're all paying for the privilege of owning his dream console, I'm more than willing to let the guy's private life take priority for a few days here and there. I know the meaning of time crunch, right now I'm helping out with a few local political campaigns and it's eating up every free minute of my waking day, I'm barely able to type this before I hit the gym at 10:00pm my time. (say, there's an idea: go find something to do. Time flies when you're not hitting F5 here all day)

He could have easily made this his own pet project and kept it for himself while we all desperately shook money in his face. Other preorderers have been waiting a lot longer and instead of complaining we know how fortunate it is to have come this far.

Veritas

« Reply #2133 on: October 31, 2012, 04:09:13 am »
I'm sorry I got a little disgruntled.  I had my bank card # stolen today, and a bunch of charges placed on it.  I've been dealing with that all day, and lashing out on people.  It's frustrating.   >:(

gcw

• http://GCW-Zero.com
« Reply #2134 on: October 31, 2012, 04:16:52 am »
@Veritas Sorry to hear that had similar thing happen about ten years ago it sucks hopefully they catch the bastard and your bank protects you from the charges. No reason to apologize at all think we have all been in same kind of boat with being disgruntled one time or another.

NoeL

« Reply #2135 on: October 31, 2012, 04:26:38 am »
No excuses just facts and truth
I think people are more upset that you keep announcing release dates then overshooting them. There's only so many times you can get peoples' hopes up then let them down before they get impatient. I've recently been in the same boat: for the last few months I've been doing pixel art for a guy but due to a combination of university work and liberal estimates I had to keep giving him excuses instead of the work we'd agreed on. Like you, this is/was my first attempt so I more than understand how easy it is to underestimate how long something will take.

So with all that said once I get the units flashing will take 4 to 5 minutes then loading about another 10 minutes and finally testing about 10 minutes so about 25 minutes per unit.
And you only gave yourself two days for this? How many people are helping? I know there's qbert, but who else? If you're doing 40 units you're looking at ~20 hours, which would probably take you around two weeks working alone after your day job (unless you devote a weekend to it and power through, but surely you'd want a break from a 55hr work week).

Even with the help, I'm guessing it'll be at least two weeks before the units are shipped, assuming no more problems crop up (and they always do). If you guys can pull it off sooner I'd be impressed, but I have realistic expectations.

On a related note, any idea when the next batches are due to arrive from the factory? I'm excited for the device but I know mine won't be in the first batch. :P

On a not so related note, given the devices has the wifis (and the bigger GBs  8) ) would it be possible to stream media from a home network? I know that the software to do so almost certainly doesn't exist yet, but would the hardware permit that?

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #2136 on: October 31, 2012, 05:01:46 am »
Considering Qbertaddict lives way too far from Justin, I doubt he'll be the one flashing, testing and sending the devices, it would cost too much.

And come on guys, it's not like the devices are to be shipped in Two Months?. They are in Justin's city, so I'm sure they'll start to ship very soon, since they can flash, test and send them in parallel. And that small delay isn't that bad, since it does look like it's the very last delay. And I shall remind you guys that we have yet to see a video with working HMDI or OpenGL... More time for the devs mean a better experience from the start!

NoeL

« Reply #2137 on: October 31, 2012, 05:35:19 am »
Considering Qbertaddict lives way too far from Justin, I doubt he'll be the one flashing, testing and sending the devices, it would cost too much.
Interesting... so what do you make of this:
i haven't even seen the final product and i have to flash and test them all

Articus

« Reply #2138 on: October 31, 2012, 05:47:31 am »
Qbert is just the one testing and making vids, he has said so in several videos.

edit: on a different note, Ive purchased a few items to make me a dock attachment for my current alarm radio.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:50:39 am by Articus »

willgoo

• * Confirmed Reseller
    • Willgoo - Retro Handheld Paradise
« Reply #2139 on: October 31, 2012, 07:38:26 am »
No excuses just facts and truth I work a day job until this takes off I work in the IT field and I have projects I'm responsible for on a daily basis with hard deadlines. If I had the luxury of quitting my day job and going full time with this I would but I have a family to take care of and bills to pay. 

This has been a long hard road with lots of twists and turns and road blocks that have been over come. When I started this consultants told me that it would take 2 1/2 years from concept to market.  We have done it all in little over 9 months from concept to first shipment almost out the door.

We haven't breached the market front but early adopters will soon be holding in their hands an end product.

Go one your hard work. GCW Zero is worthwhile to wait. I am very patient for it. I totally understand your work, my friend.

PureWicked.AU

• Australian GCW reseller
« Reply #2140 on: October 31, 2012, 09:47:45 am »
sounds like it's not long to wait now guys, a little patience and they will be in our hands.. I'm still waiting on my original Pandora meanwhile :-P

I too will know the joys of flash and send 100 of them coming my way to Australia to do, my plan is to flash and send when the order comes in..

looking forward to mine anyway

happy to wait.. don't stress about us too much Justin, we will wait..

jutley

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #2141 on: October 31, 2012, 12:15:15 pm »
Patience is a virtue good things come to those that wait.You may have all heard these terms come on guys lets just make a fire and gather round and sing together now oh cum ba ya my lord cumbar yar.

ruffnutts

« Reply #2142 on: October 31, 2012, 12:26:15 pm »
Haha.. this thread is getting massive now....anyway more video's will keeps us cheerful 8)

danilop2k2

• !
« Reply #2143 on: October 31, 2012, 12:36:47 pm »
Haha.. this thread is getting massive now....anyway more video's will keeps us cheerful 8)

just videos are not enough anymore...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:41:59 pm by danilop2k2 »

ruffnutts

« Reply #2144 on: October 31, 2012, 02:13:42 pm »

just videos are not enough anymore...

Ok maybe some pics of the finish product then....