Author Topic: GCW Zero Buttons(quick question)  (Read 1786 times)

zoeey123 (OP)

GCW Zero Buttons(quick question)
« on: March 06, 2015, 03:48:42 pm »
Ok, so the one question I have regarding the device is the closeness of the select button to the button just above it.  I believe this may have been mentioned before, but my specific question is, does the select button do anything if accidentally pressed, or if pressed at the same time as another button? Does this ever cause issues for people, or is it just a subjective thing?

Thanks!

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
Re: GCW Zero Buttons(quick question)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:26:00 pm »
hey there. I totally understand where you are coming from with this kind of question. I have owned a Zero for over 6 months & can honestly say that YES, THE SELECT & 'B' BUTTON ARE TOO CLOSE TOGETHER.

Having said that, there are alternatives while playing games that utilize multiple buttons during gameplay, etc. First, some games have the option to change the control scheme. Second, use muscle memory to adjust your RIGHT THUMB so it doesnt affect/touch the SELECT button repeatedly. I have big thumbs & I learned to adjust the way I press the 'B' button over time. It takes some getting used to but if you can let that pass & adjust quickly, it really isn't an issue.

Try to hold your right thumb in more of a horizontal way instead of diagonally & you should be absolutely fine. Again, I adjusted quickly & have no complaints. And also, the issue only becomes an issue when playing button-mashing games or fighting games. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hope this helps.

Xaijiqq

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 04:45:24 pm »
in the past on more than a few occasions i've accidentally hit 'select' when trying to use the 'B' button usually during rapid presses.  although when i did the dpad mod, after adding small plastic under the face buttons giving them better height the problem has since been eliminated

Senor Quack

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 07:54:27 pm »
The ease of mistakenly pressing Select is definitely an issue. In my ports, I've started paying attention to it and leaving Select either unmapped or mapped to a control that won't interfere too much with the game when pressed. I encourage other authors do the same.

Xaijiqq

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:41:59 pm »
but my specific question is, does the select button do anything if accidentally pressed, or if pressed at the same time as another button? Does this ever cause issues for people, or is it just a subjective thing?

Thanks!
oh yeah to answer your question more specifically it all depends on what you're playing when accidentally hitting the select button.  for the emulators its mostly not an issue for example the ones using the unified start+select to enter an options menu the ones i tried the select button alone appears disabled while other emulators go straight to a menu when pressing select.  so the most that could go wrong would be an options screen appearing.  holding the power switch while hitting more than 1 button is potential for glitchy behavior which can be resolved by rebooting- on/off

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 07:53:47 pm »
Exactly. It's really just a matter of getting adjusted to the emulators, settings, etc. Once that happens and depending on the game, it's not THAT big of a deal.

zoeey123 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 05:56:22 pm »
Ok, thank you guys for the info.  I appreciate it.

Post a new topic