Author Topic: Durability  (Read 3012 times)

tekkaman (OP)

Durability
« on: September 29, 2014, 04:25:08 am »
How durable is the GCW Zero ? I heard that it has problem with the buttons. I have a Caanoo that I bought brand new and in less than a year the battery is dead. The battery meter goes crazy up and down and then it last for an hour. -_- It seems that these emulation systems don't tend to last long.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:27:19 am by tekkaman »

CSX

Re: Durability
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 04:01:01 pm »
I found one more weak point -- screen. I don't like protective screens and always remove them from everything.  On most devices screen glass/plastic is quite hard and it's much harder to get scratches on a screen then on a soft protective film.

But GCW is an exception =( In fact my headphones made nasty looking scratches on the screen, so apparently standard apple headphones made from much harder plastic then GCW's screen.

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 04:03:37 pm »
I found one more weak point -- screen. I don't like protective screens and always remove them from everything.  On most devices screen glass/plastic is quite hard and it's much harder to get scratches on a screen then on a soft protective film.

But GCW is an exception =( In fact my headphones made nasty looking scratches on the screen, so apparently standard apple headphones made from much harder plastic then GCW's screen.
Do you have a KS unit? Those come with two protective layers of plastic. The bezel itself shouldn't be easily damaged with just your headphones.

CSX

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 04:41:13 pm »
Yes, it's a KS unit. I know about two layers and I removed both of them after my second protective screen became all scratched. I was hoping that screen is more durable.

I keep it the same way I used to keep my Caanoo, PSP and Vita - in separate pocket of my backpack, with headphones wrapped around the console (and that is my mistake).

fredmacking

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 05:15:49 pm »
It doesn't really hurt my gameplay... but I got some scratches on my GCW Zero screen as well... anybody got any home remedies for removing scratches... I heard using clear toothpaste works... but I was too scared to try it.

Fluxchar

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 05:57:22 pm »
clear toothpaste? well, thats a first for me. i happen to think the durability of the GCW is awesome. i like heavy feeling units most so this is a inbetween for me. the buttons are solid and the dpad is great. The only thing i hate is the analog stick which turns in a 360 rotation. i look past it and it doesnt bother me though :)

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 06:17:52 pm »
White toothpaste can be used in some instances (white=clear if anyone is confused). Toothpaste is abrasive, think of it as ultra-fine sand. If you have deep scratches, it probably won't do any good. But for light scratches, it might be able to smooth out the screen. I don't know if this would work if you have a screen protector on it, I would imagine that if you overdo it, it'll just eat through the screen protector and you'll be left with a hole in it.

Edit: oh, and most important- you'll use a tiny bit of toothpaste mixed with a little bit of water (mix it in a bowl or in the palm of your hand), then scrub the screen with your finger in a circular motion. So don't just apply plain toothpaste to the screen, that'll probably make everything worse!

I used this method on my Gameboy Micro and got good results, but the Micro's cover is removable so that made it much easier because of course this is messy. On the Zero, you might end up with white build up where the bezel meets the case if you're not careful.

Bonus fact: you can use toothpaste to restore the old yellowed headlights on your car!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:24:47 pm by Pardue »

MightyJAK

• My tumblr
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 06:34:36 pm »
I've dropped my SE a few times on the bus while playing some drunken Pop'n Music, the only damage has been a few scratches on the back. I've decided to install a wrist strap to be safe though.  :P
My machines:
GBC,GBA,GBA SP,NDS,NGPC,Panasonic FZ-10 3DO,NES,Sega Nomad,Sega CDX w/Power Base Converter,PS1,PS2,PS3,Saturn,Dreamcast,PC (Win 98, XP, 7),Dingoo A320,Dingoo A330,Gemei A330,LetCool N350JP,PAP-GAMETA,GCW-Zero SE,Kyocera Rise,2DS,GP2X-F100,GPD G7,JXD 100,JXD A1000,JXD A3300,JXD F3000,JXD V5000,JXD S7300B,Hyperkin SupaBoy

Currently playing: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (2DS)

Erik Twice

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 09:11:34 pm »
Wait, wait, how do you play Pop'n Music on the GCW?  :o

spinmaster

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 10:26:50 pm »
I actually find the GCW quite durable. I had a Dingoo A320 a couple of years ago and I found the buttons etc. clumsy as hell. I think the overall build quality of the GCW is more than ok. Some people reported some sticky buttons at some earlier kickstarter devices, but there is a silicone fix for those (just search on YouTube).

I had no problem at all so far with the durability (now having the GCW for 4 months or so) and would buy it again. Also, the battery seems to be very good. I just came back from a 2 week holiday and played each day for about an hour and battery is still running. :)

Hope this helps!

tekkaman (OP)

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 04:33:22 am »
Thanks for the report guys. I'm actually thinking if I should buy a cheap battery for the Caanoo or save for a Zero. I really loved the device. It's not perfect though. Before the battery problem I was having problems with the analog pressing down by itself. What I did was open the console and add a few drops of 3in one oil and it fixed it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:40:20 am by tekkaman »

Post a new topic