Author Topic: Do you remember this ?  (Read 479 times)

gameblabla (OP)

Do you remember this ?
« on: May 22, 2017, 11:32:33 pm »
2 years ago, i tried to predict the future and what will happen to the GCW Zero here :
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-development/future-firmware-release/msg132184/#msg132184

It turns out some of the things became true, only after 2 years.

The community still is waiting for TV Out to be supported but most of them became hopeless
and moved on to other things, such as getting their credit card stolen by Google.
This was true back then and with constant shortages in supplies, it's even more true now.
Most formers gamers now either :
- Watch other gamers play the game
- Too busy to play games huh !!!
Verdict :True (Not that it was hard to predict :P)

The few people left were hopping that Justin would bring his Magic Wand to do something about it...
but the miracle never happened.
Justin, after lots of frustrations with the manufacturers, became depressed too and moved
entierely away from retrogaming, which has become a niche again with new devices like the Oculus Rift. and Hololens.
This one is definitively is true : Justin is still missing and nobody knows what he's up to.
The last we got from him was the fact that he had issues with his family.
Verdict :True

David Knight over the years became pretty sad : he tried to switch to Android instead
but he has found the toolchain difficult to use and the few apps he came up with are a complete failure.
David Knight now works on network security, he's no longer a homebrewer.
I don't know if he attempted Android developement but i do know that he's no longer working on any homebrew ports and now works for a company in IT.
Verdict :Mostly true

zear became so sad, he still has not finished UMG, his gameboy-like platformer.
He fondly remembers the Dingoo days and the GCW Zero's death really hurt his feelings.
He decided to do a youtube channel where he will talk about open-source devices and retrogaming
in general.
His channel had a small following and he was pretty happy about that.
He died peacefully on his bed 20 years later.
After this post, they made an update saying that only 2 worlds were left before the game was complete.
Since then, it is still in development... As for the rest, i'll see you in 20 years ! (or not...)
Verdict :Partially true

Ziz too tried to move to Android, with little success.
He has become frustrated with the touch controls and the bad ratings from children because
the gameplay is too deep and the graphics are 8-bits.
Ziz still has not given up but he quickly understood that his golden years were now over.
So far, he hasn't attempted Android development but maybe that will come in time... (Ubuntu phone's gone, Firefox OS's dead, Sailfish OS's now kremlin backed etc...)
Maybe his golden years are yet to come...
Verdict : Wrong

GCW Zero and the Pyra were the last open-source handled to be released to the market
due to difficulties and conflict of interest with manufacturers and were unable to answer the user's new needs.
While the Pyra was a little success, it still wasn't enough for EvilDragon and they quickly felt the lack of funds
for their new project.
Their Kickstarter was a success but they were unable to ship the new consoles and they went bankrupt.
With no news from Justin, it seems that the GCW Zero won't get any successor. As for the Pyra, it is still not released yet...
DragonBox still exists as of now.
Verdict :Partially true.

Lemme know what you think of this retro-perspective down below

EvilDragon

• DragonBox Shop
Re: Do you remember this ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 01:59:44 am »
We're far from being dead :)

Yep, it took longer than I expected, but I'm communicating with everyone, won't hide or disappear and keep posting news... Which differs quite a bit from Justin, I guess ;)

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

I'm evil.

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:01:06 am »
same here!

opt2not

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 04:59:50 am »
What is the ultimate purpose of this thread?

illuminerdi

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 04:27:28 pm »

I believe OP is engaged in some kind of scientific proof for the theory that "Haters gonna hate".

This post would constitute part 2 of the cycle, where he defends his original thesis.

Stay tuned for part 3: soul crushing disappointment as reality sets in when he realizes that nobody gives a shit about his pointless trolling.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 05:52:07 pm »
Yep, it took longer than I expected, but I'm communicating with everyone, won't hide or disappear and keep posting news... Which differs quite a bit from Justin, I guess ;)
Happy to know you're still working on the pandora's sucessor.
Sadly, Justin is MIA. :(

This was some kind of a retroperspective to see if anything changed from the better since then.
And unfortunely it got worse :(
(i miss david knight and his ports)

I believe OP is engaged in some kind of scientific proof for the theory that "Haters gonna hate".
This post would constitute part 2 of the cycle, where he defends his original thesis.
Stay tuned for part 3: soul crushing disappointment as reality sets in when he realizes that nobody gives a shit about his pointless trolling.
I admit this made me laugh.
Not that it hurts or anything, the number posts per day in the GCW Zero is very low anyway.

Stay tuned for part 3 the next year !
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:54:19 pm by gameblabla »

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 06:23:14 pm »
haha  :P

Post a new topic
Post a new topic