Author Topic: D-Pad MOD possibilities  (Read 4925 times)

care16la20 (OP)

D-Pad MOD possibilities
« on: June 21, 2015, 03:30:10 pm »

Hi does anyone have a "list" of which d-pads can fit on GCW0?
I know the gameboy first model is possible, but that one is hard to find so would like to know other options....
For ex. joysticks like Snes are easy to find around so if those for ex fits, that would be nice

Thanks

Surkow

• * Administrator
Re: D-Pad MOD possibilities
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 05:48:57 pm »
It's probably cheaper to buy a complete replacement housing, which includes all buttons.

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 02:09:06 pm »

Hi Surkow

What I meant by opening the topic is :

Besides the Gameboy DMG d-pad, what other options we have to make this mod ?? Gameboy DMG parts are not easy to find around here....

Regards

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 02:40:03 pm »
Yep, I understood it perfectly. That is why I suggested you to buy them from China for cheap. :D

NDS lite and Gemei buttons seem to be alternatives.

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 04:10:32 pm »
Yep, I understood it perfectly. That is why I suggested you to buy them from China for cheap. :D

NDS lite and Gemei buttons seem to be alternatives.

Hi Surkow

Yep, got it but the major issue is the importation procedure..... =/

Btw, so the D-PAD from NDS Lite is able to fit on the GCW 0 ??

fosamax

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 07:14:21 pm »
You should be able to buy dmg or nes d-pad from that site :http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/custom-buttons

There's lot of color, even some transparent ones...

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:26:47 pm »
You should be able to buy dmg or nes d-pad from that site :http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/custom-buttons

There's lot of color, even some transparent ones...

Hi, so the NES d-pad fit's as well? What about the SNES one? is it possible to use it?

fosamax

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 09:45:22 pm »
I bought both from kitsch bent and they are very similar even if some cutting and sanding is required. There's no need for modifiing the gcw shell. Otherwise, SNES d-pad is quite bigger and will not fit the gcw case without cutting its case which i don't recommand. BTW, i think surkow is wrong about nds lite d-pad since it's probably too small and doesn't show a propre pivot.

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 12:21:19 am »
I bought both from kitsch bent and they are very similar even if some cutting and sanding is required. There's no need for modifiing the gcw shell. Otherwise, SNES d-pad is quite bigger and will not fit the gcw case without cutting its case which i don't recommand. BTW, i think surkow is wrong about nds lite d-pad since it's probably too small and doesn't show a propre pivot.

So your bet would be to go for the one from NES ? Is it much better when compared to gcw0 d-pad?

ker

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 01:28:20 am »
NES dpad works just fine, but it's a bit tall and it's not very comfortable. DMG is the best option I think (DS lite is smaller)... or perhaps a WiiU one

fosamax

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 08:52:05 am »
Yes NES d-pad is a bit taller than DMG d-pad but both could be modified to fit the zero case without any modification on the case itself so you can always go back if you're not happy with your mod.

I tend to prefer DMG anyway.

The Wii U require you cut the GCW case to fit so no way to move back if something goes wrong.

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 02:57:08 pm »
Yes NES d-pad is a bit taller than DMG d-pad but both could be modified to fit the zero case without any modification on the case itself so you can always go back if you're not happy with your mod.

I tend to prefer DMG anyway.

The Wii U require you cut the GCW case to fit so no way to move back if something goes wrong.

Hi , I found those 2 d-pad's, but the problem is that either are a little bit smaller than the original of GCW0 ...

So is there somehow to use them, or its not worth trying? And the one that looks like the one from GameBoy has a hard rounded plastic part around to be cutted...

fosamax

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 04:15:08 pm »
http://www.open-consoles.com/t7583-mod-gcw-zero

In french but should be prett straightforward....

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 01:50:22 pm »

Hi all,

Finally found an GameBoy first model d-pad and tried the MOD

Now, sharing a few considerations:

- This is NOT an easy task; Very far from be an simple 30 min job...
- The worst part is cutting the material; The plastic is very hard to cut, I had to use 3 different tools to cut and shave the corners, etc....... Even made a big hurt on my finger during that process heheh
- If you wanna to make it look nice, you will have to paint after finishing because its nearly impossible to leave the d-pad without any scars on it due to the cuts.
- Im 90% satisfied with the result because one of the directions still needs some little cut, but should be simple to solve ......

Well in the end it's very nice, a huge difference over the original gcw one....

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 03:00:58 pm »
Congrats! Maybe some pictures?

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 03:52:42 pm »
Congrats! Maybe some pictures?

Hi,
Thanks; Sure, let me just finish 100% which is:

- Pass plastic glue on some small scars and imperfections left by the cuts.
- Put on the bottom a thin extension on the directionals, since the size of the d-pad is a little bit smaller that the gcw so you can see a small part of the rubber behind it. The idea is to cover that
- Paint in black

Xaijiqq

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 11:59:39 pm »
- This is NOT an easy task; Very far from be an simple 30 min job...
- The worst part is cutting the material; The plastic is very hard to cut, I had to use 3 different tools to cut and shave the corners
- If you wanna to make it look nice, you will have to paint after finishing because its nearly impossible to leave the d-pad without any scars on it due to the cuts.
- Im 90% satisfied with the result because one of the directions still needs some little cut, but should be simple to solve ......

Well in the end it's very nice, a huge difference over the original gcw one....

this is almost exactly my experience with the dpad mod i replaced mine with a red dmg.  instead of painting over the cuts i just used a black magic marker to cover the lower spots which worked out good

fosamax

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 09:08:55 am »
If you're ready to spend the amount of time needed, it's possible to achieve some very slick results.

Here's a GCW I modded for a fellow from openconsoles.com.

D-pad is a cristal clear DMG D-pad and buttons are from an A320e case.

D-pad is the easiest part with the right tools : x-acto knife for cutting, nail file and nail polisher for perfect finish.

Buttons are way harder since you need to cut the GCW case and also modify button layout by adding a acrylic base.
For cutting the GCW case, I used this :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-282637-Repairmans-Taper-Reamer/dp/B0015NPPBU

Here's the result :

Buttons are really a huge improvement over originals...

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 01:59:02 pm »
If you're ready to spend the amount of time needed, it's possible to achieve some very slick results.

Here's a GCW I modded for a fellow from openconsoles.com.

D-pad is a cristal clear DMG D-pad and buttons are from an A320e case.

D-pad is the easiest part with the right tools : x-acto knife for cutting, nail file and nail polisher for perfect finish.

Buttons are way harder since you need to cut the GCW case and also modify button layout by adding a acrylic base.
For cutting the GCW case, I used this :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-282637-Repairmans-Taper-Reamer/dp/B0015NPPBU

Here's the result :

Buttons are really a huge improvement over originals...
]

Hi , looks very nice;

The problem is to have the correct tools, I improvised a lot with what I had available.

Now, I think if I fix some scars with a few plastic glue, and after that paint so that the paint layer gonna hopefully make it look like brand new, then Im satisfied with the result

Saw no reason to mod the buttons, but accept suggestions about what mod's are possible for that without having to cut them to adapt, since they are rounded and this makes the things harder....

The d-pad mod is highly recommended; Yesterday, before going to the process of polishing the d-pad, painting, etc... played FatalFury with an single coin and arrived to the last boss due to the easy that it is to perform the special attacks...

care16la20 (OP)

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 05:10:04 pm »

Hi , there it is the result

Removed the paint on the top and left only on the borders to make the feel of the d-pad surface better...

Now, still need to resolder analog points to the board

Post a new topic
Post a new topic