Author Topic: D-Pad and Other Hardware Improvements  (Read 31797 times)

Atlantis_Risen

Re: D-Pad and Other Hardware Improvements
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2014, 06:22:22 pm »

Xaijiqq

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2014, 09:20:33 pm »

Aeter

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2014, 09:02:49 pm »
This looks pretty sweet, and it's always good to see new ideas.
Also thanks for the suggestion of using spark plug grease, now I finally know what to look for.
Looking for silicon lubricant just gave me tons 'lube' results.
I'm going to try and get some grease tomorrow and hope my A and Y buttons become less clicky sticky.
~cucullus non facit monachum~

wepecko

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2014, 12:36:14 pm »
Hi, I got this new Zero  ;)

buttons are from Dingoo obviously. they are 1mm diameter wider, so the slight modification to the case needs to be done...

Goggles2114

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2014, 04:15:27 pm »
That actually looks pretty nice.

Kudonomiya

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 10:50:25 am »
Wow, where did you buy those buttons?

Nebuleon

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2014, 10:56:27 am »
They are, or were, from a Dingoo A320.

wepecko

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2014, 11:58:19 am »
i made some photos during the process so I can post a little to-do tut if someone would be interested.

kaio

• All about GCW-Zero on Russian + Repo
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2014, 03:27:32 pm »
i made some photos during the process so I can post a little to-do tut if someone would be interested.
wepecko, please post it
GCW-Zero | JXD S602

zear

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2014, 04:03:52 pm »
They are, or were, from a Dingoo A320.
Dingoo Technology A380.

wepecko

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2014, 05:11:53 pm »
OK, so basically my original intention was to have all buttons in red and also DPad ala Nintendo. So I asked here and there and got a set of NDS buttons and also A380 buttons (thanks JodyFox, Anthony)

(top to bottom: NDS, A380, GCW0)

unfortunately the NDS has much smaller Dpad cross so I wasn't able to use it. Also the rubber pads under Dpad and buttons are not cross-compatible with GCW0 without some heavy modification. The size (diameter) of NDS buttons is perfect for GCW0 but they are quite lower (shorter?) than GCW0. But this can be solved as you will see below.

So I decided to go with A380 bcause it looks nice with white Dpad, until I find some better replacement. The only problem is that A380 buttons are something like 1mm diameter bigger than GCW0. Luckily there is enough space to modify the case so the buttons will fit.

Tools you gonna need :-)

So first, you need to make the hole bigger. I've got limited resources so I used drills number 7.5 and 8 (I hope I remember the correct sizes). The GCW0 plastic is quite soft so if you use sharp drills you will need just your hands. Be carefull and work patiently to scrape only the small amounts of plastic so the hole keeps perfectly circular. Use #7.5 and then #8 until the button fits perfectly in the hole.

Here you can see widened button hole

The second thing is that every button has its own outshots to keep the button in the place without rotation. ofcourse they are not GCW0 compatible :-) There is also collar edge which is bigger then is needed. For this you need the small rasper to make the edge smaller to fit in the hole.

Collar egde before and after the modification

The third thing is to take care of the bottom of button.

As you can see, you need to add something there to fill the hole. Also its great occasion to adjust the height of button to your needs. For me the original GCW0 buttons have little bit too "long" step to push the button so I made the fill little bit higher for more "rapid pushes" :-)

you just need to cut a strip of paper (approx. 130mm x 3.5mm), roll it tight and fix it with a drop of glue in the bottom of button

It's in the place finally..

As a last step you need to cut small strips of some kind of sturdy paper to replace removed outshots and glue it carefully in the place. It looks little bit clumsy but I believe its good enough replacement and I didn't notice any troubles with button rotation so far.

So basically that's it. I'm quite satisfied with this mod. Buttons are little bit bigger, closer to each other, they work without any problems or jamming and their surface is acrylic so the fingers slides better between them. Also the ugly "rattle" noise of original buttons is away.

DARK-SPIRIT

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2014, 10:11:46 pm »
Wow, looks great with the A-380 buttons. can't wait to modify the console.

sloth713

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2014, 07:19:36 pm »
Are there any updates on the D-Pad, buttons, and analog stick hardware improvements? 
Like many others I would like to buy a GCW Zero but I'm waiting for the hardware to have all the kinks worked out.

fosamax

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2014, 02:20:12 pm »
Here's mine :

ker

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2014, 04:53:37 pm »

fosamax

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 05:15:06 pm »
It's a classic Gameboy DPAD from http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.kitsch-bent.com%2F&ei=lsfXU7CiMcab1AXN9oCgAg&usg=AFQjCNHCQ98g5ALa_1cGmbTN1BVbSmcxzA&bvm=bv.71778758,d.d2k

I added a small plastic part under ABXY button so they don't move anymore when you shake the device and the A button doesn't get stuck anymore (way easier than DPAD mod).

I also masked the LED and the place under the bezel with electric tape to avoid some annoying light (it's a bit overdone for the LED since you can't see those except in full obscurity)...

Beerman1138

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 08:06:12 pm »
It's a classic Gameboy DPAD from http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.kitsch-bent.com%2F&ei=lsfXU7CiMcab1AXN9oCgAg&usg=AFQjCNHCQ98g5ALa_1cGmbTN1BVbSmcxzA&bvm=bv.71778758,d.d2k

I added a small plastic part under ABXY button so they don't move anymore when you shake the device and the A button doesn't get stuck anymore (way easier than DPAD mod).

I also masked the LED and the place under the bezel with electric tape to avoid some annoying light (it's a bit overdone for the LED since you can't see those except in full obscurity)...

Nice mods.  In fact, what did you use for that small plastic part?  My A button sticks to the point where I have to open it up to fix it, and would like to try this with mine.....thanks!

Goggles2114

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2015, 11:55:23 pm »
Hey mind walking through what you did with the battery? Did you make it so it can be swapped out?

fosamax

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2015, 08:55:45 am »
Hi, what I've done to the battery is adding a JST connector, commonly used by RC enthusiast :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xjst+connector&_nkw=jst+connector&_sacat=0

You can see more pics on that tutorial :

http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-general/gcw-zero-disassembly-and-d-pad-mod-tutorial/msg110661/#msg110661

I soldered one end on the mobo and use thermal heat shrink on the battery side.

Depending how much wire you've got, you may be able to use heat shrink on both sides. My zero came with very short wires so I could'nt open it easily and that mod is really great if you want to perform other modification like d-pad mod that
need many ajustments.

Button mod otherwise is quite easy.

Xaijiqq

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2015, 09:53:37 am »
Button mod otherwise is quite easy.
I really can't stress enough how much an improvement it does adding something underneath the face buttons.  it just feels complete and though it is a very simple fix its still a hassle to open the device but i would say worth the trouble all things considering

for mine i glued one of these faceted acrylic jewels under each button, perfect fit: