Author Topic: Charge battery: USB vs Power Adapter  (Read 8169 times)

sciopath (OP)

Charge battery: USB vs Power Adapter
« on: August 19, 2013, 11:24:45 pm »
Hi,

I have a few questions about battery charging.

The unit can be charged via PC or with the help of USB wall adapter but it will take a considerable amount of time to charge the device. A power adapter specific for your country/region will be included with the console.

. What do they mean by "considerable"? Did someone tried to estimate a ratio about USB/Power adapter time needed?
. By the way, is there a more precise information of the level of charge instead of the small downright icon. Something like in /sys/power/... or /proc/acpi/... ?
. If I prefer to charge via USB (which I do; hate to have different power adapter laying around). Do you have any idea if this "considerable" amount of time may ending prematurely damaging my computer USB power supply (the max mA USB rated is much less than the supplied power adapter output)?

. Is it hardware related or may be fixed via software update (... don't have to much faith in that one)?

Thanks!

Beerman1138

Re: Charge battery: USB vs Power Adapter
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:07:33 pm »
I know this topic is old, but I do have something of value to add. 

Most USB ports are set up to supply 5V DC at 500mA (as this is the standard); the adapter used to power the GCW-Zero supplies 5V DC at 2A (2000mA).  So, it theoretically will take 4 times longer to charge off a standard USB port as it will off the included adapter. 

That being said, there are extensions to the standard, allowing up to 2A to be supplied to devices.  I have one such charger, and will try charging to see what happens. 

As far as damaging USB ports, there is that possibility; but the devices usually negotiate capabilities before they start drawing power. 

Prophet

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 06:48:55 pm »
Wait a second... I never received an ac wall adapter with mine.

Am I supposed to have one? ($160 KS package)

EDIT: oops, I do have it. I just forgot where I put it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:47:29 am by Prophet »

surfi80

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:00:37 pm »
for real? that bitch friend  >:(

I did a preorder in Ithic and only takes me a month and with wall adapter  ::)
play with the best? die like the rest!

http://www.elotrolado.net/wiki/PS_VITA_Usuarios_EoL

spiteface

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 02:47:39 pm »
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I just got my GCW a few days ago, and did not have a DC charger with mine (a googling turns up that they do not supply one anyway), while my first charge was done via USB, I would prefer not to do this with my PC, as I only have one free USB port in the front (The other taken up by my wifi antenna). Would this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EFP0UQ0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0XABP297WV6TR83KJ1HZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455345967&pf_rd_i=468294

be suitable? It says 5V, 2A, which is what's needed. I'm not entirely sure of the size barrel I need. This one seems intended for most tablets that have a dedicated DC charger port. Cheap too.

What size barrel would I need? 2.5mm? I guess I could spend a bit more and get one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc%C2%AE-Universal-Portable-Battery-Smartphones/dp/B00H3UGGQ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420296592&sr=8-2&keywords=5v+2a+power+adapter

As they have an array of tips, which I could use for charging other things anyway.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:52:13 pm by spiteface »

Aeter

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 05:38:37 pm »
I use the USB adapter from my Asus tablet, which is 2.0A/5V and that works fine for me.
Apparently the the AC plug on the GCW0 isn't that stable and a small tap can stop it from charging.
At least that's what I've read around here about power adapters.
~cucullus non facit monachum~

AskaLangly

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 01:32:43 pm »
I use one that I purchased originally for the PSP-1001, and connect it either via USB or AC. I have a USB extension cable, and that works fine.

silence9123

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 11:57:05 pm »
I'm also interested in buying an AC adapter.
I can't find any information about the size of the tip.
Is it 2.5 mm ? 3.5 ?

Thanks

lilarcor

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 11:52:51 pm »

I'm also interested in buying an AC adapter.
I can't find any information about the size of the tip.
Is it 2.5 mm ? 3.5 ?

Thanks
It's 2.5mm

mujotomi

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 12:08:56 am »
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I just got my GCW a few days ago, and did not have a DC charger with mine

And where did you buy your GCW?

retrogott

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 05:28:18 pm »
Hi, I aso dont have a Power Adapter for my GCW Zero and I like to ask if I can use this USB Adapter for charging it?:

It has the following specs:

Input: 100-240 VAC 50/60Hz
Output: 5V DC 1A

Aeter

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 06:58:27 pm »
5V/2A is best I think for quicker charging but I've used both and both work fine.
The 5V/2A is my tablet charger the 5V/1A my phone charger.

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 08:46:36 pm »
ya, i've noticed that the wall charger included with the Zero takes FOREVER to fully charge the unit. I need something that will charge quicker... any specific model suggestions?

Thanks!    :-*

retrogott

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 09:27:13 pm »
. By the way, is there a more precise information of the level of charge instead of the small downright icon.

Thats also my question right now. is there any way to find out how much % is exactly left in the battery?

Aeter

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 11:22:07 pm »
Nope would require a lot of units testing batteries to get correct values apparently.

retrogott

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 10:46:33 am »
So when the battery icon is red, how much battery is approximately left then? is a red icon a good indicator that I should charge my device?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:59:45 pm by retrogott »

tekkaman

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 06:08:59 pm »
This device uses Lithium Batteries. As with any Lithium Battery you shouldn't deplete it completely as it will damage the battery.

You can use this guide to take care of your battery:

http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html

The guide is for laptops but it's the same with any device that use Lithium Batteries.

Swarmadd

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 08:50:40 am »
Hello everyone, this is my first post here  ;D

I've got a question and I don't want to make a new topic for this : Can someone tell me what is the original barrel charger's polarity ?

I'd like to make an AC cable for charging, it would fit with the one I made for my DMG (2.5mm), but I don't know if there's any regulator for this inside the Zero... (Had it very recently, haven't opened it up yet :) )

Quote from: retrogott
So when the battery icon is red, how much battery is approximately left then? is a red icon a good indicator that I should charge my device?
Late answer ^^ : You could use the pyBattery application, it's good for this !

Post a new topic
Post a new topic