Author Topic: Battery replacement info  (Read 3215 times)

glimmer (OP)

Battery replacement info
« on: May 26, 2015, 12:07:05 am »
The battery's definitely going bad. I may have forgotten to keep it charged at some point, or maybe it's just the fact that it's old. (Obviously, all our GCW Zero batteries are old by now.)

Does anyone happen to know the maximum workable size (dimensions) and chemistry (LiFePO4 / NMC / other)?

I've been through a lot of posts, and there's very little to go on.

Also, any information about the connectors would help. I don't really know what sort of connector (if any) the battery uses or whether it's glued in place--anything like that.

Yes, I could find out some of this (probably not the chemistry) by opening mine, but I *have* read that it's relatively easy to damage, so I'd rather open the case exactly once if someone else has this info.

Thanks!

Beerman1138

Re: Battery replacement info
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 11:08:41 pm »
I have my old GCW-Zero still open, I'll pull the all the info I can find on it when I get home in a few hours.  If I remember correctly, it doesn't offer much in the way of a description, but I'll do what I can. 

Beerman1138

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 02:33:41 pm »
Sorry for the delay. 

The label on the battery reads:
HR 4636108PL
+37V 2200mAh
T.DC.Y022000001

I'd wager the first line is the part number, the second gives the spec of the battery.  Hope this helps!

glimmer (OP)

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 05:08:08 pm »
I'd wager the first line is the part number, the second gives the spec of the battery.  Hope this helps!
It does, very much. If I can't find the part number, having the nominal voltage is still helpful. Looks like it's pretty certain to be some form of lithium polymer. Well - I hope so. :)

Do you have the dimensions of the battery?

Alternately, could you take an educated guess at the max size I could fit in there? I don't know if there's a lot of breeze between components, or if it's packed so tight it would be hard to fit a business card in there. ;)

Also, it's hard to make out from the picture--how's it held in place? And if you can get me a picture of the connector(s), that would be fantastic.

Thanks so much for helping with this!

fosamax

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 05:47:04 pm »
Take a look at my disassembly guide : http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-general/gcw-zero-disassembly-and-d-pad-mod-tutorial/msg110661/#msg110661

Keep in mind that there's no connector by default but there's way enough room to fit a JST connector as seen on pictures of my unit.

Regarding the battery size, you can measure it on that pic :

I don't know about the depth of it. Battery size should be quite similar to the dingoo ones (actually sold out on deal extreme but you may check the dimensions)

fosamax

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 05:52:34 pm »
Here's the reference : http://www.dx.com/fr/p/3-7v-2300mah-replacement-battery-pack-for-dingoo-a-320-30996#.VWX1v-9Rf_E

And from the user review :

Recent Customer Reviews
Great battery
 dxelec Post on 05/11/2014
Bought to replace a battery in my GCW-Zero. It's a bit thicker than the GCW-Zero's stock battery, but fits alright. Battery comes with a protection circuit. Working great so far.

and size : Dimensions: 3,78 x 1,38 en en x 0,2 en
Poids: 1,38 oz

fosamax

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 06:15:47 pm »
 should probably open my device to double check but by using photoshop, I guess that one may fit :

http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/3-7-V-lithium-polymer-battery-2500-mah-5038108-large-capacity-mobile-power-battery-products/2020199570.html

glimmer (OP)

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:44:14 am »
should probably open my device to double check but by using photoshop, I guess that one may fit :

http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/3-7-V-lithium-polymer-battery-2500-mah-5038108-large-capacity-mobile-power-battery-products/2020199570.html
Thank you!

I appreciate the links but DX burned me very badly a couple of times in the past. I ended up having to file disputes with my bank to reverse credit card charges. They got every item in one order wrong and I ended up throwing away everything they sent me.

I don't really know what AliExpress is or whether I should trust it. I'm located in the United States fwiw. I'd rather avoid international shipping. At least from China but at all if I can.

If you can recommend a shop with US presence I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again!

fosamax

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 08:38:46 am »
You can see AliExpress as Amazon Market Place for China. I only made one purchase recently for a dingoo A380 case (just for the buttons) and all went well. IIRW, AliExpress keep your money as long as you don't state you received your order but there's no paypal protection (credit card needed or other obscure bank transfer).

At least the seller doesn't get your credit card information...

I have no idea of where to search for Li-Po batteries locally in the US.

Maybe you could try asking on http://forums.modretro.com
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:24:40 am by fosamax »

gamefreak_joey

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 10:38:06 pm »
Did you ever find a solution for this? I am replacing my batteries in both the GCW units I have, but will I need any protection circuits, or can?t I solder the wire directly to the battery?