Author Topic: The GameGadget  (Read 34685 times)

ruffnutts

Re: The GameGadget
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 12:55:39 am »
I do like the look of it though - no doubt I will end up buying one anyway lol

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 01:10:26 am »
You guys are happy paying for roms?

That's not meant to sound insulting, just a question.

zear

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 01:13:13 am »

If that means legally owning a rom - why not?

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 03:25:51 am »
Well I'm imagining that it will be a similar setup to the Wii's Virtual Console network, which is great but games are limited and by the time you buy the Game Gadget and a handful of games it will ending up costing a lot of money for the sake of playing some 8/16 bit games.

twisty2k7

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 10:15:55 am »

I have most ROMs anyway but I like to think of it as supporting the industry.  I don't plan on buying all of them at all, but perhaps some of my favourites, if it helps support a) the developers of the games and b) the continued support of the console (remember, if it doesn't work, they'll go bust and where will the gamegadget 2.0 be!!!)

Coccijoe

• Underground Portables
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 12:11:09 pm »
Don't know if somebody ever tell that, according to the FAQ it's the same cpu than the a380 and a320e one.
Not really a "dual-core" it just have a vpu

FAQ

What kind of cpu architecture is inside?
We use an Ingenic 4750 which is based on the MIPS32 (MIPS-II) family. It has custom 'X-Burst' extensions to accelerate some multi-media functions.

What OS will the SDK run on?
Linux/X86 only

Will it be easy to use SDL on it?
Integrating SDL is done by linking 'libsdl'.

What kind of cpu architecture is inside?

We use an Ingenic 4750 which is based on the MIPS32 (MIPS-II) family. It has custom 'X-Burst' extensions to accelerate some multi-media functions.

Do it support OpenGL ES 1, 2?
No (GameGadget does not have additional 3D acceleration hardware).

What OS will the SDK run on?

Linux/X86 only (as of now ? additional versions in development)

Will it be easy to use SDL on it?
Integrating SDL is done by linking 'libsdl'.

What can it do?
Simple 2D games. 16bit or earlier emulation. Some simple 3d/2.5d games (Doom, Quake, etc).

What it can't do:
Modern games. 3D. Android or iOS (or other mobile platforms).

http://www.gamegadget.net/developers/info_14.html

crzune

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 09:20:21 am »
only 16 bit ? well I'm afraid that leaves me out I was hoping with those specs they could at least emulate gba maybe I'll just go for one of the jxd's or yinlips consoles

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 10:52:15 am »
only 16 bit ? well I'm afraid that leaves me out I was hoping with those specs they could at least emulate gba maybe I'll just go for one of the jxd's or yinlips consoles
I'm sure gpSP can be ported to it (if the firmware isn't closed off for homebrew).

twisty2k7

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 02:20:07 pm »
I know Wikipedia is open to be edited by anyone but the console's wikipedia page states that it will do GBA games, hopefully than the A380 anyway, can't get Medal of Honor Infiltrator to work past the title screen

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 05:13:33 pm »
Don't get your hopes up. Every gpSP port will suffer from the same game glitches. There are no developers working on the core.

twisty2k7

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 01:21:41 am »
Bit of a pain this.  The developers have just started talking about the console a mere 10 days before launch and have announced that only titles purchased through the iTunes-style store will be playable on the app.

So when they say that over 100,000 games will be playable on the console, you have to sell at least one of your kidneys to pay for a small percentage of those games

I know it will only take people about a week to work out how to hack the system but it's funny how they announce this AFTER they charge your credit card as soon as you preorder

bigdavebear

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 12:19:28 am »
I guess the only real solution (as far as legality) would be a device that maybe connects to a online service to steam retro games.

If its to download them, then prices have to be reasonable.

You used to be able to get on demand movies off the Internet but prices was like ?2-3 a Movie which is too much sometimes, so the whole Netflix, Sky Movies Anytime route is better a set price per month for access to a Movie Libary.

something like that for a handheld device would be fine, but then it would mean having a internet connection.

twisty2k7

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 11:57:43 pm »
I think it's realistic that a handheld like the Gamegadget or Dingoo/Pandora etc needs an internet connection anyway.  Let's face it, if you don't have the internet it's HIGHLY unlikely that you've heard of a Dingoo

I am more than happy to support the Gamegadget venture and pay for downloads but would have liked to carry around my ROM library on it rather than have to carry my A380 too to carry the other 99% of games

I can't think it'll take long for the console to be hacked but you will have to wave goodbye to your warranty if you do, that I'm sure of

razumikhin

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 11:11:16 pm »
PSA: Game Gadget is running a contest on Facebook to give away their first system. Just have to like a status update before tomorrow.

http://www.facebook.com/gamegadgetgames/posts/378461235508305

twisty2k7

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 12:12:24 am »
Also, according to Gamegadget themselves via Facebook, if you paid full price or used a discount voucher to pre-order your console through them and you can STILL find it cheaper elsewhere (Grainger Games is selling it for ?68.99 HINT HINT), e-mail Blaze Europe (details on Facebook) with the link to the cheaper item and they'll refund the difference to the credit card you pre-ordered with

P.S. also, like the page while you're there, let's drum up some support for this UK Apple-killer ;D

twisty2k7

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 07:40:26 pm »
Blaze have confirmed that the console is being delayed slightly.  Though Amazon, Grainger Games and Play.com all state the release as the 27th April, Blaze have said that they plan for a street date of the 6th April, which is next Friday.

There is a lot of useful stuff on the http://www.facebook.com/gamegadgetgames page including the announcement of the following games as the ten free games included on launch:

Golden Axe
Altered Beast
Comix Zone
Ecco the Dolphin
Gain Ground
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
VectorMan
Crack Down
Shadow Dancer
Space Harrier II

The following games will also be available on launch day:

Alex Kidd (not sure which one)
Kid Chameleon
Columns
Coulmns 3
Ecco: The Tides Of Time
Ecco Jr
Fatal Labyrinth
Virtua Fighter 2

Others too

twisty2k7

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 07:33:17 pm »
Blaze will now be giving away 30 games, not 10 for anyone buying and registering their console before the 30th April.  There is also a video showcasing the Megadrive games:  http://www.gamegadget.net/

This is a new video, not the now world-famous early visualisation video that's been there forever and a day and the date of the 6th April has been confirmed

hiredgun

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 10:57:12 pm »
I agree with everyone so far that almost nobody is going to pay and go through the hassle to download Mega Drive games from a specific site when there are a ton of other handhelds that let you do it for free from any ROM site.  HOWEVER, according to this

" Overview

A developer can either:
a) Make direct use of the standard linux kernel framebuffer for sound and the also standard ALSA kernel subsystem for sound.
b) Use the SDL (+SDL_gfx, +SDL_image, +SDL_mixer, +SDL_net, +SDL_sound, +SDL_ttf) to program graphics and sound.
c) Use DirectFB for graphics (included but mostly untested).

Obviously the preferred choice is (b), since the included SDL has been tweaked and optimized to work with the specifics of the machine.

The developer can make use of any of the other included libraries (for example for reading XML configuration files). If he needs a library not included as standard, he can just compile it and distribute as part of his application (in the same directory).

Developers are welcome to suggest libraries to be included in our firmware.
Porting an application that ALREADY runs on linux should be quite easy, given that it is suited to the 320x240 resolution. In some cases the developer will just have to tweak the compile scripts or make files to use the GameGadget toolchain compiler instead of the host system compiler.

Porting an existing linux application can be sometimes very easy, but I don' believe anything can run "as is" without some work."  Taken from this official page   http://www.gamegadget.net/developers/info_14.html
I am no expert, but it seems that if this were all true, people could play homebrew emus without having to pay for roms as long as some one stepped up to the plate and ported emulators over to the console.  If this were possible, I think that the GameGadget would be a lot more reasonable. H.G.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:58:57 pm by hiredgun »

twisty2k7

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 07:49:45 pm »
For those not following on Facebook, all preorders will be shipped this Wednesday to hopefully beat the Easter weekend bank holiday.  30 games will be available to download free after registration and if you e-mail Blaze europe with the link to Grainger Games who are selling this much cheaper, they'll price match via a refund when they ship your console, so you can get it for ?68.99 instead of ?80 (?100 if you forget to use "gamegadget20" in the promotional codes bit

bigdavebear

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:23 pm »
I feel that the prices are a little steap.

?5 a game, just as Nintendo do with a lot of their Virtual Console Games.

Some games are worth that, but some are not. If they made compilation packs like say all Sonics for ?5 then fair enough.

I think that a price of ?2 a game would be fairer, the company has to remember a lot of people could use various hand helds to run homebrew and play roms for free.

I just think the prices are whats going to put people off.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic