Author Topic: The GameGadget  (Read 34685 times)

MPQC (OP)

The GameGadget
« on: January 03, 2012, 05:48:00 pm »
Looks pretty cool if you ask me.

http://www.gamegadget.net/

Anyone have more info on it?

bamboori

Re: The GameGadget
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:08:11 pm »
afaik its gonna be a cheap, overpriced dingoo clone :p

MPQC (OP)

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:12:27 pm »
Well that's disappointing.

lemmywinks

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:17:56 pm »
I love the design of this, looks like a much more thought has gone into it than the usual Dingoo-a-likes. The normal SD slot, GBA SP style shoulder buttons and solid construction make it look like a proper console and not just a Chinese knock off.

But.........

It's gonna be ?100 plus delivery. It looks like the usual GBA/Snes/Megadrive standard console. I can buy a Yinlips including shipping from Shenzen for ?10 less than this console costs.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

CREATICA

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 08:25:16 pm »
Another dingoo clone. Just what we needed.

bigdavebear

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:54:23 am »
This is the new console from Blaze who did the Sega MD systems which was ok, but Emulation was buggy i.e sound not right.

Build quality may be better than some of the chinese machines, i am not to keen on the buttons and D-Pad mind.

The rumour is this system will emulate Sega MD, SMS and GG and Nintendo, NES, GB, GBC and SNES.

Maybe it will emulate more?

Apparently the device will be licenced, so that means you download games like say for instance how you do on Wii with Virtual Console Games.

But a lot will depend on the price and if the system will read regular rom files, or else they may not compete with the Dingoo A320 or GPH Wiz/Caanoo never mind systems that are comming out that can emulate more than limited selection of 8/16 bit systems.

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 03:24:50 am »
I've read the little bit of info available on this device, and don't believe this thing will actually let you play your own roms from an SD card. They will have some form of market where you can buy roms and other licensed games.

Given its price and lack of freedom, count me out.

CREATICA

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 10:15:19 am »
I've read the little bit of info available on this device, and don't believe this thing will actually let you play your own roms from an SD card. They will have some form of market where you can buy roms and other licensed games.

Given its price and lack of freedom, count me out.

I dunno if you've already noticed but we always agree on everything. We're the super-grumpy faction of this forum or something.

About a market based on old games (that are available for free if you google enough) is just a preposterous and a ludicrous idea. It can't just work. C'mon. One thing are android app and another old megadrive roms. It Smells like a fail.

The d-pad sucks big time and I declare war on this crappy handheld.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:22:03 am by CREATICA »

lemmywinks

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:04:26 am »
About a market based on old games (that are available for free if you google enough) is just a preposterous and a ludicrous idea. It can't just work. C'mon. One thing are android app and another old megadrive roms. It Smells like a fail.

Well, technically any software is free if you google it enough.... That doesn't mean there isn't a market for old games providing they are cheap - lets be honest, a 20 year old game that has already made it's profit should be extremely cheap, like less than $1/?1. Somehow I doubt the makers of this console will be charging the right amounts though.
Having said that, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony seem to be doing alright repackaging old games and selling them over their live services for comparatively high prices.

I actually quite like that model as I like to pay for the things that I own, one of the reasons I have quite a large retro games collection that is still growing. If this service would allow me to purchase Rondo of Blood for example at a good price then I'd be all for it. What I do object to is having to pay twice and repurchase a game when I already own the original cart.

If this console doesn't allow roms to be loaded from any other source than it's own market then it will fail dramatically and rightfully so. Who is gonna buy this when there are cheaper open options available?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:10:01 am by lemmywinks »
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 11:27:17 am »
@ CREATICA, yep, noticed that we tend to share similar opinions - you must be very smart. ;D

I have a strong feeling that this device will be very locked down, the developers intend to create money via selling licensed roms and other similar gaming content. It most likely will not allow you to run your own content. This combined with a much too high a price puts me off it entirely.

If you're familiar with the C64 remake, which is a waste of time and money in my opinion as it's just a PC running a buggy Linux OS... but that's another discussion... anyhow, they've done the same thing. I.e. you can emulate C64 games but you need to pay for them via an online market.

Blaze have those various SEGA consoles (with piss poor emulation) that aside from having a bunch of built in licensed games, allow you to run your own carts. This is don't mind (aside from the horribly cheap build quality and poor emulation) as I am more than happy to fork over money for a physical copy of a game.

I really don't like this new age of downloadable content (as in games you buy and must download using specific software etc and never receive a hard copy). What happens when these companies go bust? What happens if/when the server goes down, indefinitely? How do you sell your game when you're bored with it? I miss the old day of trading and buying second hand carts. :(

lemmywinks

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 12:52:19 pm »
I really don't like this new age of downloadable content (as in games you buy and must download using specific software etc and never receive a hard copy). What happens when these companies go bust? What happens if/when the server goes down, indefinitely? How do you sell your game when you're bored with it? I miss the old day of trading and buying second hand carts. :(

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. On the whole I much prefer a cart or disc, I like having them as a collection and I also still play them on the original hardware. However for games that are rare and cost silly amounts on eBay it would be handy to have a cheap and readily available download service where you could legitimately download content.

I already used the example of Rondo of Blood, which I have seen go for ?30+ on eBay which is much more than I want to pay. The same is true of Symphony of the Night, in fact to actually legally play these games I had to buy the PSP Rondo and unlock the original versions! If these games were cheaply available as a download (say ?2-?3 for a CD file) then I'd buy them straight away.

With retro games there are two markets - peple who want to play them and people who collect them due to their scarcity/value, obviously with an overlap. I'm also a working musician and we have a similar thing with old instruments - collectors buying them because they hold prestige and increase in value yet they remain unused, while the people who would actually use them as originally intended are priced out of the market.

Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

bigdavebear

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 04:45:04 pm »
Well like with the Wii and Virtual Console Games.

Provided the Emulation is good (on par with PC) and Prices not bad then i guess there is a market for it.

But again it comes down to prices as with TV/Cable provider who provide movies on demand sometimes the Price is just too high, for me paying ?2-4 for a Movie is high, if they was 50% of the price i would consider it.

so if the games are cheap say $1 to $5 each or they do discount collections then i think maybe there would be a market, i got the Sega MD Collection for PS3 which gave me 40 games for ?20.

If the GameGadget can give as good emulation and price per game as that, then indeed it could work.

But i still dont like the look of the D-Pad or Buttons i think the Dingoo A320s look better. (apart from the L and R ones ;) )

jimclarson

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 07:25:26 pm »
hopefully if they went to all this trouble to make a game library of retro games for purchase/download then i hope with a 500 mhz prosessor they hired some darn good coders for this, i might get it if it does flawless snes emulation, but thats a big iff in itself as i dont see this going very far, unless someone takes a grinding wheel to the already open hanheld, thus making it more 'open' if you get my drift

...looks both ways in a dead giveaway nonchalant manner....

anyways, i hope they revise this in the future into a 1gz version that full fledged open, and make money from hardware alone like gph did, rather then make us pay for things.... that we should.... pay for.... yet are free on the internet by legal technicalities....

honestly the whole game library download of retro games confuses me and makes me feel like they'll get shut down shortly after its put into effect, i dont see how entire 8 bit and 16 bit game libraries can be marketed towards people in this manner, sure nintendo can do it cuz theyre frek'n nintendo therefore they can buy all rights to old games and market them as play please, cuz theyre nindendo, but a tiny company turning the dingoo clone fad into a market stategy that doesnt make much legal technicality sense? i dont get it, if it comes out i might get it just cuz've the build quality in hopes someone just may take a grinding wheel to it, thus expanding its open-ness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmQFcVR6vEs

~jim~

lemmywinks

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 09:13:06 pm »
They probably just license them with the current copyright holders getting healthy cut on each sale, basically selling themselves as a revenue stream.
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

Coccijoe

• Underground Portables
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 07:55:05 am »
pre-order are open
http://www.gamegadget.net/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:20:24 pm by Coccijoe »

K-77

• * Former Staff
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 12:12:09 pm »
reset button so near to d-pad? Are they serious :O

ruffnutts

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 08:31:15 pm »
Who's getting one 433Mhz dual core hmmm 99 quid its a bit expensive dont you think?

Coccijoe

• Underground Portables
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 09:21:21 pm »
It's not from china, so yes it's a bit more expensive :)

twisty2k7

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 09:24:24 pm »
In case no-one has noticed the gamegadget is now available to preorder.  If you use "gamegadget20" as a discount code it knocks ?20 off the price, making a much more reasonable ?79.99, code was e-mailed to me earlier in the official newsletter and it works, mine is now on order

This could be amazing.  I LOVE the fact that it's in the UK so should be well supported from the company if nothing else

Coccijoe

• Underground Portables
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 09:30:13 pm »
thanks ;)

Post a new topic