Author Topic: NesterOD 0.2  (Read 4144 times)

DiegoSLTS (OP)

NesterOD 0.2
« on: September 03, 2012, 05:27:20 AM »
Hi, this is a port of "NesterDC for SDL" (which is part of a port of Nester for the Sega Dreamcast).

Yes, another NES emulator for OpenDingux, but I think this one is the best (all credits to Nester and NesterDC developers).

EDIT: Maybe it's not the best in all aspects :P, I found some games with problems (Battletoads & Double Dragons doesn't work, for example), but give it a try!

Release 0.1:
- Based on NesterDC 7.1
- Almost fullspeed without frameskip at 336Mhz
- Really good sound at 44100Mhz
- Save/Load states
- SRAM support
- Support for a LOT of mappers (~130)
- Added support for .zip files

Release 0.2:
- Added a pretty simple GUI with some options
- Added Fullscreen mode with good speed
- Fixed zapper, now it's supported
- FDS tested, it works, but read the notes below
- Icon :P

For FDS games:
- You need disksys.rom file in the same folder as nester.od, it's not included. The roms must have the FDS header, "*NINTENDO-HVC*" header won't work (if the header is wrong you'll see a message in the Log Viewer of OD).
- When the game asks for another disk, press R and change the Disk number in the "Disk N°" option, then press B to return to game and wait. Disk A is N°0, Disk B is N°1, etc.
- I'm not sure how does the FDS works with SRAM (I tried Castlevania and my character is gone after a reboot), but Save States seem to work.

For Zapper games:
- Load the game and press Power+B to switch to mouse mode. You won't see the mouse pointer, you'll see a little white square.
- You can enter the GUI while on mouse mode, but you have to disable it (press Power+B again) to move through the options.

Not tested:
- Tested on OpenDingux first end-user release, but maybe it works in older versions.

Plans for the next release:
- Optimizations (if possible)
- Save/load current settings
- Try to fix some games (like Battletoads & Double Dragon), but I'm not even sure if that's possible.
- Try to add new mappers

Controls:
D-Pad, A, B, Select and Start - NES controller
D-Pad (mouse mode) - Aim Zapper
A, B (mouse mode) - Shoot Zapper
Y - Save State
X - Load State
Hold - Pause nester (Hold again to resume)
R - Open GUI

Downloads:
NesterDC 0.2 (add a link to nester.od on GMenu2X and use the "selector browser" option)
0.2 Source

Old:
NesterDC 0.1 (put nester.od wherever you want, add a link on GMenu2X and use the "selector browser" option)
0.1 Source
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:41:47 AM by DiegoSLTS »

dmitry_smagin

Re: NesterOD 0.1
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 05:44:51 AM »
Nice! :)
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

ruffnutts

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:25:10 AM »
Nice so far looking forward to the next release  ;)

Articus

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:19:18 AM »
I like it better than FCE320, so far!  --just my opinion

wy_scorpio

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »
great work!
there have some question...some chinese rom cant run,can add mapper 195,193,191?and can make these chinese rom run?thx ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:34:15 PM by wy_scorpio »

samir

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 10:51:31 PM »
Thanks Diego! Any instructions in how to play games designed for Zapper, like Duck Hunt?

DiegoSLTS (OP)

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 12:47:58 AM »
Nice! :)
Nice so far looking forward to the next release  ;)
I like it better than FCE320, so far!  --just my opinion
Thanks!
great work!
there have some question...some chinese rom cant run,can add mapper 195,193,191?and can make these chinese rom run?thx ;)
I'll see what I can do, I'll take a look on those mappers, but I'm not sure if I can write them from scratch. Do you know any open source nes emulator with those mappers implemented? Maybe I can take some code from them, but I can't promise anything =/.
Thanks Diego! Any instructions in how to play games designed for Zapper, like Duck Hunt?
I haven't tested that, maybe using the mouse, but I think the cursor is hidden. I'll take a look for the next release.

-----

I've almost finished the menu, but I'm really busy with other projects (work and university) so it'll take a while, sorry.

DiegoSLTS (OP)

Re: NesterOD 0.2
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:39:51 AM »
New release! First post updated.

dmitry_smagin

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 08:05:43 AM »
Great! :)
Could anyone test it on GCW-Zero?
GCW-Zero prototype, Dingoo a320, Ritmix rzx-50, Dingoo a380, Xperia Play

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
Great! :)
Could anyone test it on GCW-Zero?
I will test it now. Fceu320 works great already though. Its always nice to have alternatives ;)

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 08:39:21 AM »
The sound skips really bad on the GCW but the scaler works well. FDS games don't seem to work though. I have the bios in the right directory but maybe my roms dont have the header.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:42:37 AM by qbertaddict »

wy_scorpio

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 01:21:30 PM »
great work!
I'll see what I can do, I'll take a look on those mappers, but I'm not sure if I can write them from scratch. Do you know any open source nes emulator with those mappers implemented? Maybe I can take some code from them, but I can't promise anything =/.

there have a emu support most chinese roms...
download link:http://code.google.com/p/myvirtuanes/

thx :)