Author Topic: The best emulators for each platform  (Read 25043 times)

conso

The best emulators for each platform
« on: February 03, 2010, 04:00:50 pm »
Hi.

Dingux now really has a huge amout of emulators. It can get confusing to pick the best emulator for the game you want to play.
With this thread, I want to prepare a list of best emulators per system and create a wiki-article from it. It could also be the basis for new local packs, to help newbies get the best possible experience.

amstrad CPC -> Pituka
arcade (new) -> fba320
arcade (old) -> mame
atari2600 -> Stella
atari7800 -> Dingux-7800
atariST -> Hatari
gameboy(color) -> gnuboy
gameboyadvance -> gpSP
c64 -> vice
genesis -> picodrive
msx -> dingux-msx(easy to use) / openMSX (high compatibility)
neo-geo -> fba320
neo-geo-pocket -> uNGP
NES -> fceu320
PC-Engine -> dingux-hugo
playstation -> psx4dingoo
snes -> snes9x
zx spectrum - GP2Xpectrum

Please help me fill the gaps. For example, I have no idea wich is the best msx, colecovision, atariST or c64-emulator.
Discuss on performance, compatibility and usability if you wish and correct me if I picked some wrong candidates.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 03:02:10 am by conso »

Hellsing1

Re: The best emulators for each platform
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 04:03:52 pm »
Hi

Add Vice for the C64
Add fceu320 for NES
Add dingux-msx for MSX

Hellsing

conso

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:12:47 pm »
thx, added :D

waiting for more, will test some emus myself now

Kalisiin

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:50:03 pm »
And just what is wrong with NESemu for Dingux?  Or Dingux-Hugo?
Stella 2.35 is definitely best for Atari 2600, it runs on Dingux, and beats the pants off the former Dingux-2600.
There's still Dingux-7800 for the Atari 7800, as well as PROOSystem for Atari 7800 on the native side.

conso

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:59:32 pm »
Don't know what's wrong with nes-emu or dingux-hugo.
This list is thought to get better over time, so if think one's better then an emulator on the list, say why that's so and I'll change the point in the list.
Point is -> max. one emulator per platform, unless there's very good reason (like with mame and fba)

I'll add Stella and Dingux-7800 right away. And would be thankfull for other recommendations.

kYn

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 10:16:51 pm »
Hey, this topic is a very good idea, thanks!

Kalisiin

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 11:32:06 pm »
Don't know what's wrong with nes-emu or dingux-hugo.
This list is thought to get better over time, so if think one's better then an emulator on the list, say why that's so and I'll change the point in the list.
Point is -> max. one emulator per platform, unless there's very good reason (like with mame and fba)

I'll add Stella and Dingux-7800 right away. And would be thankfull for other recommendations.

No one had to give a reason for FCEU320 for NES...or for uPCE for PC Engine.

I just say HUGO had served me quite well for my needs for PCEngine.

That and the fact that uPCE is new...and also hard to install...and may yet have bugs, because it's new, whereas HUGO is stable and solid....

Hellsing1

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 11:41:23 pm »
Hi,

The author of NESemu converted Fceu320 because it was more mature and played Nintendo disk games. Haven't done a speed comparison as the native Dingoo is better that both and if people really want to play NES games they should just use the native one.

UPCE is very simple to setup, you only need to add syscard.pce to play the CDs. Version .4 is stable.

Haven't used Hugo for a while. I'll put it back on to remind me.

Hellsing

conso

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 12:20:04 am »
No one had to give a reason for FCEU320 for NES...or for uPCE for PC Engine.

I just say HUGO had served me quite well for my needs for PCEngine.

That and the fact that uPCE is new...and also hard to install...and may yet have bugs, because it's new, whereas HUGO is stable and solid....

Hey, don't be so picky ;)
I started this topic to find the best emulators and therefor created an initial list with emulators that served me well.
In your last message you just asked what's wrong with nesemu or dingux-hugo and I gave a clear answer - I don't know.
As soon as someone tells me a certain emulator is better then another and for what reason, I'll swap asap.
Also, I won't hesitate on adding emulators for different platforms.
Now with you and Hellsing not really agreeing, it's kind of a hard decision to make. From what I read, Fceu320 seems like a clear winner to me and unless someone jumps in with a detailed comparison of those pcengine-emulators, I'll probably have to check those out myself.

conso

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:23:41 am »
sorry for double post, someone please remove

Hellsing1

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:26:38 am »
Hi

It's just a friendly discussion. :)

I've had a look at both of PC Engine emus and there really isn't any real difference.

Hellsing
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:28:25 am by Hellsing1 »

conso

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 12:53:15 am »
Right, you can't do a list like that without some discussion :)
if emulation is of ~same quality with both pcengine-emulators, wich UI do you prefer?

Solstice

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 12:19:39 pm »
Why is it that nes emulation on dingux isnt that great with some slowdown,but the official emulator runs them great?? thought it wouldnt be any problem to run the old nes fullspeed

Also i really like snes9x but the fullscreen option looks like rubbish and impacts speed alot, i hope someone can fix this someday ;)

Fba320 is my fav emulator btw
Dingoo A320 stock 1.2 + Gmenu

PSP slim 2002 Gen 5.50 D3 Prom4

eule

• * Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 01:17:57 pm »
For AtariST emulation, Hatari is still the best (and will stay for Atari STE and Falcon [lol, try it  ;D, wish someone would fix it]). But a new competitor is on the way, DCaSTaway.  :D
As for PCEngine, i think uPCE is faster, runs many games fullspeed @ 333 mhz, whereas Hugo is preoverclocked to 400 mhz. Also Hugo glitches at Galaga...  ;D Plus CD emulation with uPCE.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:21:04 pm by eule »

conso

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 04:30:56 pm »
For AtariST emulation, Hatari is still the best (and will stay for Atari STE and Falcon [lol, try it  ;D, wish someone would fix it]). But a new competitor is on the way, DCaSTaway.  :D
As for PCEngine, i think uPCE is faster, runs many games fullspeed @ 333 mhz, whereas Hugo is preoverclocked to 400 mhz. Also Hugo glitches at Galaga...  ;D Plus CD emulation with uPCE.
alright, so uPCE will stay :)

about AtariST: OK, so I'll add Hatari for now. Please inform me if/when DCaSTaway really is better.

Are some platforms still missing?

Amstrad?
spectrum?
colecovision?
more?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:36:35 pm by conso »

Kalisiin

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 05:53:52 pm »
Seems like you only want to pay attention to Dingux.

No Coleco yet for Dingux.

ColeCOO is for Native side.

And as far as "best" goes...may I again point out that that is a VERY SUBJECTIVE thing.

conso

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 09:12:52 pm »
aye, this list is dingux exclusive.

There seems to be a colecovision-emulator for dingux by zx-81: http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/categories/104-ColecoVision

Anyone tested it?

Sure, this list is somewhat subjectiv, but i try to build it on consense as much as possible.

Kalisiin

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 11:06:17 pm »
aye, this list is dingux exclusive.

There seems to be a colecovision-emulator for dingux by zx-81: http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/categories/104-ColecoVision

Anyone tested it?

Sure, this list is somewhat subjectiv, but i try to build it on consense as much as possible.

Have to check that out...I was not aware of a Coleco Emu for Dingux.

Badboyluc

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 08:49:00 am »
for atariST system the DCaSTaway emulator is much better.

jevilon

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 09:27:54 am »
Amstrad CPC - Pituka
ZX Spectrum - GP2Xpectrum