Author Topic: PC Engine / TG16 / Turbo Grafx emulator HuGo for Native - based on Dingux-Hu-Go  (Read 50500 times)

clach04 (OP)

I've not tested out ISO running. One thing that is not clear from the readme is that you need the syscard(3).pce file for iso support.

I don't have any iso's so I can't test this  :-\

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
You need to put a system card bios file in the 'DingooHuGo' folder, where the .APP is. Name the bios file 'syscard3.pce'.

This will load the PC Engine CD-ROM system screen when an .ISO is selected. This is as far as I have gotten though, it comes up with a load error after that. I will try some different bios/ISO files and see if that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:17:36 am by Frank_fjs »

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
Success with CD games.

Not all CD games that I have work but some do. I just loaded Godzilla and it worked fine. This was a .BIN file. I also tried Double Dragon 2, which is an .ISO but this did not load. So, you will have to experiment with various image files.

Sound is not enabled but there's not much that can be done about this, this version of the emulator doesn't support it.

Just grab a System Card v3 rom file, rename it to 'syscard3.pce' and place it in the same directory as the .APP file. When you select and load a CD game, the CD-ROM System menu will be displayed. Hit run, and if successful your game will load. If it doesn't like the file it will state a load error.

clach04 (OP)

Success with CD games.

Not all CD games that I have work but some do. I just loaded Godzilla and it worked fine. This was a .BIN file. I also tried Double Dragon 2, which is an .ISO but this did not load. So, you will have to experiment with various image files.

Sound is not enabled but there's not much that can be done about this, this version of the emulator doesn't support it.

Just grab a System Card v3 rom file, rename it to 'syscard3.pce' and place it in the same directory as the .APP file. When you select and load a CD game, the CD-ROM System menu will be displayed. Hit run, and if successful your game will load. If it doesn't like the file it will state a load error.

Thanks for clear the instructions, karma to you!

If anyone wants to start a comparability wiki page that would be useful, the wiki page now has DingooHuGo http://dingoowiki.com/index.php?title=DingooHuGo

Compatibility should be the same as the DIngux version.

I'm not the original Hugo (or even Dingux-Hu-Go) author and I'm not likely to work on emu issues.

clach04 (OP)

I cant run a .iso file (Castlevania), but I can run this in the Dingux version, any suggestion, clach?

Just to be clear, Dingoo HuGo does NOT ship with any roms, which is slightly different to the Dingux version.

Nickeng

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

PCE is my Fav system - now my A320 is complete !

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

Russia_dingoo

Thanks for great work!
Can you port Picodrive for native OS please...
It is one of the best emulators in dingux...
A lot of games runs fullspeed!
Native OS would be great with complete emulators !
Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:55:01 pm by Russia_dingoo »

clach04 (OP)

Can you port Picodrive for native OS please...

I'm waiting for Ayla to release the SDL version he is working on (and he has a bunch of projects he is working on, so no ETA), without that, there is no chance of a port.

darfgarf

I'm waiting for Ayla to release the SDL version he is working on (and he has a bunch of projects he is working on, so no ETA), without that, there is no chance of a port.
*cough* SHE *cough*

ricsi

Dingux Hu-Go for Native.

Thanx ... great work.

I am wondering ... maybe you could also release a SIM version?

clach04 (OP)

I am wondering ... maybe you could also release a SIM version?

I could (see OhBoy and my gnuboy source code for how to support both .SIM and .APP), I'm reluctant to do so.

Reesy, has done this for PocketSNES because he is a nice guy :). Now he is being asked for a .APP  for SMS Plus http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingoo-releases/smsplus-v1/msg26202/#msg26202 no good deed goes unpunished  ;)

I personally think for that a .APP is best, because:
  • .zip files can be supported, this is NOT possible with .SIM
  • you can change roms easily without exiting the emulator
  • scrolling in the Native "emulator"/"interesting-game" browser is awful, really awful. Especially if you have a lot of files. I've written a python script to organize roms by alphabetical directories to make this less unpleasant

If a .SIM was to be released, you would not be able to use DooEngine, the post I linked to above makes a good point for why .app is useful under Native (if you use DinGear, you can't use SMS Plus and vice versa), as we don't have a gmenu style browser/launcher.

So I'm not keen on doing this, I'm not totally against it though. Everyone is different, I can see case where .sim is useful (small number of files, no other equivalent emulator available).
If someone wanted to implement this support (and make binaries) I'd be happy to help if I can (hence making my example code on how to do this available).

Right now my next task is to implement stat() support so that save states work.

I'm not trying to be awkward; do you really want a .SIM?

grumpus

About the ZIP support... Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, every extension can be opened with ONE sim emulator in the native OS. And ZIP is reserved for the CPS1 emulator.
Now, if this is the *only* reason that hinders ZIP support for SIM emulators... Couldn't we just, for example, rename the PC Engine or SNES zipped roms to something other than ZIP (like PCZ or SMZ) and open them directly from the native browser?
I suspect the Neogeo MVS and CPS2 files are actually some kind of archive with a different suffix.[/list]

clach04 (OP)

About the ZIP support... Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, every extension can be opened with ONE sim emulator in the native OS. And ZIP is reserved for the CPS1 emulator.
    Now, if this is the *only* reason that hinders ZIP support for SIM emulators... Couldn't we just, for example, rename the PC Engine or SNES zipped roms to something other than ZIP (like PCZ or SMZ) and open them directly from the native browser?
    I suspect the Neogeo MVS and CPS2 files are actually some kind of archive with a different suffix.[/list]

You could rename all your roms. IMHO This is less than ideal (Z implies "unix .Z compress" format not .zip) and seems like busy work :( I won't personally be working on that, I'd rather be playing games :)

I personally like gmenu's browser approach, for launcher browser support. It would be nice if we could have something like this for native (no idea how though, DD are you listening? :-)).

Once OpenDingux is out, this issue may go away. We'll all switch over to OD ;D

clach04 (OP)

New download, for people who haven't already downloaded. It includes a default.pce to avoid hangs. No new code changes yet.

grumpus

You could rename all your roms. IMHO This is less than ideal (Z implies "unix .Z compress" format not .zip) and seems like busy work :( I won't personally be working on that, I'd rather be playing games :)

I personally like gmenu's browser approach, for launcher browser support. It would be nice if we could have something like this for native (no idea how though, DD are you listening? :-)).

Once OpenDingux is out, this issue may go away. We'll all switch over to OD ;D

Well it's easy enough to write a little script for renaming masses of files. The one I wrote is only 44 bytes ;) I'm sure there are dozens of tools for that on Windows, too.
      As for the extension, .Z may be problematic, but .SMZ, for example, wouldn't imply anything. Actually, I'd be fine if the new extension was .WTF anyway, as long as it works :D

Don't worry though, I don't have a lot of PC Engine roms, so I won't bother you about that. My tremendous SNES and Mega Drive folders, on the other hand, would benefit. :)

armo3000

Thank You for this emulator. Do you planning make sim version?
      And if you'll make native-style menu and saving settings for any every game like in pocketsnes it will be ideal emulator

EugenyN

I downloaded a version with default.pce but screen turns black and Dingoo freezes, after splash.

A:\Game\3D Games\DingooHuGo\hugo_dingoo.app
      screen - ILI9325

stdout for hugo
      --[ INITIALISATION ]--------------------------------
      Cd_emulation is 0

ricsi

I'm not trying to be awkward; do you really want a .SIM?

You are not being awkward.
      (THANX for porting this emu to native)

I can absolutely live with the status quo (eg. app file only - no sim).

JPWasko

Downloaded the new HuGo zip, but still getting the intro screen, followed by a black screen and the dingoo freezes.  Default.pce is in the main .app folder.  Any help would be appreciated.

clach04 (OP)

I downloaded a version with default.pce but screen turns black and Dingoo freezes, after splash.

A:\Game\3D Games\DingooHuGo\hugo_dingoo.app
      screen - ILI9325

stdout for hugo
      --[ INITIALISATION ]--------------------------------
      Cd_emulation is 0

My bad :( the pce was corrupted in that file. New default.pce at https://bitbucket.org/clach04/dingoo_hugo/downloads?highlight=19169

Post a new topic