Author Topic: New OhBoy release for native  (Read 68955 times)

clach04 (OP)

New OhBoy release for native
« on: August 20, 2011, 07:24:53 pm »

New release. Main changes since last pubic release:
  • Support for Ayla's full screen scaler
  • Menu improvements, e.g. control of key bindings. From Hi-Ban
  • IMPORTANT the menu key(s) have changed, slide the power button to enter the menu
  • Improved SD card support
  • New smaller font From Hi-Ban
  • More palettes From Hi-Ban
  • Support for more save slots From Hi-Ban
  • Enable/Disable FPS From Hi-Ban
  • Optional TTF support
  • Install anywhere with just the .app file (background and font file are optional)

http://code.google.com/p/ohboy/downloads/detail?name=dingoo_native_20110820_r63_57657b7e1cae.zip

For a change log see http://code.google.com/p/ohboy/source/list

There is caanoo support too BUT I don't have a Caanoo so I'm not personally making Caanoo builds.

As always I'm looking for help with the OhBoy wiki and for development/building releases.

[EDIT: doc the other new stuff I forgot!]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:29:39 pm by clach04 »

gsoft

Re: New OhBoy release for native
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 08:54:31 pm »
It worked absolutely fine on my old Gemei X-760+  ;)
However the sound is low :(
Can I change the code!

Please send a source code  ???

gsoft

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:14:59 pm »
limit volume on dingoo is 30
limit volume on Gemei X-760+ is 100
Please make a version of gnuboy for Gemei X-760+ with limit volume = 100

samir

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 12:30:23 am »
Thanks! Oh boy is the best GB emulator for Dingoo!

wy_scorpio

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 05:57:20 am »
great!this emu is very good!
but there have some little bugs...if these can be adjusted...this emu will be best!

bugs below
1.why not set "gb' a button" as "dingoo's a button" by default,...
2.brower dont support chinese filename...
3.some roms dont be supported...
4.if can add a gbc filter that can chang corlor to mono ,will good.. 

a little question..how much is default frequency?i want to know,thanks:)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:07:47 am by wy_scorpio »

hi-ban

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 04:08:07 pm »

the source code is multiplatform (GP2x, Caanoo, Wiz, Dingoo), and the key config code is common to all platforms. It happens that GP2X, WIZ and Caanoo are the majority here, so the default values are the ones which are better for them. Anyway, you can remap them the first time you use the emulator, and the config will be saved forever.

clach04 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:30:50 pm »
It worked absolutely fine on my old Gemei X-760+  ;)

Excellent, thanks for the Gemei X-760+ report.

However the sound is low :(

Have you considered modifying the SDK so that the SDK deals with different sound levels? This would avoid the need to change each project for sound levels.

Can I change the code!

Please send a source code  ???

Please see the project website for code. If people really want me to send code to them I will probably charge for this to preemptively avoid nuisance requests (see term 1 of the GPL v2.0 license). Everything anyone needs to build and modify the project (bar the SDK) is available from the website, if I've missed anything please let me know.

clach04 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 05:43:21 pm »
but there have some little bugs...if these can be adjusted...this emu will be best!

bugs below

That is probably a good idea, I've been mostly tweaking patches  so I've not had time to play properly with the new build  :-( The physical locations make mapping A=A a good idea (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingoo_A320 pictures of button placements).

Before that gets changed, are there any other defaults that should change? If there isn't a good consensus in this thread, please create a poll so people can vote.

Sadly there is no way around this due to the text system in use :-( The workaround here is to romanize ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization ) the filename

Can you be specific? What roms are not supported or is this  a comment on non-ASCII  filenames?

See main.c 44100. A while back Ayla was looking at improving sound support in gnuboy (rather than OhBoy) but lost his source after a HD crash :-(

kuk1977

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 02:58:13 pm »
Gambatte(Dingux) vs Ohboy(native)
Selected examples of games

Gambatte(Dingux):
Cannon fodder (U)[C]- Works Fine
Densha de Go! 2 (J)[C]- Works Fine
International Karate (E)[C]-Works Fine
Test Drive6(U)[C]-Works Fine
Gambate: Don't Work  saved state, no menu, no zip.

Ohboy(native):
Cannon fodder (U)[C]-bad intro. Game Works
Densha de Go! 2 (J)[C]-Non-Working
International Karate (E)[C]-Graphical glitches
Test Drive6(U)[C]-Really slow animation
Ohboy(native): menu yes, zip yes , saved state yes.

Sorry for my english
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 06:18:47 pm by kuk1977 »

gsoft

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:38:25 pm »
Please see the project website for code. If people really want me to send code to them I will probably charge for this to preemptively avoid nuisance requests (see term 1 of the GPL v2.0 license). Everything anyone needs to build and modify the project (bar the SDK) is available from the website, if I've missed anything please let me know.

It is possible to download?
I can only see but can not download the source code
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:42:12 pm by gsoft »

hi-ban

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 06:26:31 pm »
you need to download it with a client program like tortoise hg
http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/

gsoft

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 03:16:38 pm »
you need to download it with a client program like tortoise hg
http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/

Great Thanks  ;D

wy_scorpio

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 03:48:59 am »

bugs below

That is probably a good idea, I've been mostly tweaking patches  so I've not had time to play properly with the new build  :-( The physical locations make mapping A=A a good idea (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingoo_A320 pictures of button placements).

Before that gets changed, are there any other defaults that should change? If there isn't a good consensus in this thread, please create a poll so people can vote.

Sadly there is no way around this due to the text system in use :-( The workaround here is to romanize ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization ) the filename

Can you be specific? What roms are not supported or is this  a comment on non-ASCII  filenames?

See main.c 44100. A while back Ayla was looking at improving sound support in gnuboy (rather than OhBoy) but lost his source after a HD crash :-(

thanks
in NO.2 question:ah ,cant support chinese filename...:(
in NO.3 question:some roms cant run ,such as "rockman DX3" etc..i have test ,DX3 can run on gnuboy4D
in NO.4 question:i express wrong message... sorry for my english...i mean...if can add a gbc filter that can chang corlor screen to black and white screen ,will good.. 

i find another bugs...
CPU frequency cant be set,for example when you set CUP at "200mhz" ,then press apply or apply&save,then exit menu to run game...when you once again open the menu the CUP at "default"...,is not at "200mhz".....

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:20:55 am by wy_scorpio »

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 09:23:44 am »
But I redid it completely ;)

The improvement I made was a better synchronization with the sound thread; as a result some sounds were much better (like, the little sound when you press start on the Pokemon games). The problem is that the changes I made are not easily portable to oh-boy, as it handles the sound completely differently (because of the frameskip feature I believe). Oh-boy does not use a power-of-two as the buffer size, which is necessary for it to run on legacy dingux (otherwise it will crash), and triggers sound cracks and even kernel crashs on OpenDingux.

If you can change the sound subsystem so that it uses a power-of-two value for the buffer size, it's a matter of re-compiling oh-boy to get it to play nicely on OD.

Solstice

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 06:35:09 pm »
Really Great Emulator! Would be nice to be able to set rom path to minisd/mass tho, you can browse to them but not set path there. Also maybe adding left and right to jump thru roms faster would be good to

Dingoo A320 stock 1.2 + Gmenu

PSP slim 2002 Gen 5.50 D3 Prom4

clach04 (OP)

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 05:57:41 pm »
But I redid it completely ;)

The improvement I made was a better synchronization with the sound thread; as a result some sounds were much better (like, the little sound when you press start on the Pokemon games). The problem is that the changes I made are not easily portable to oh-boy, as it handles the sound completely differently (because of the frameskip feature I believe). Oh-boy does not use a power-of-two as the buffer size, which is necessary for it to run on legacy dingux (otherwise it will crash), and triggers sound cracks and even kernel crashs on OpenDingux.

If you can change the sound subsystem so that it uses a power-of-two value for the buffer size, it's a matter of re-compiling oh-boy to get it to play nicely on OD.

One of the many To Do items is to pull the sound code out of OhBoy and rely on (a slightly modified) gnuboy SDL sound routines. Similarly the gfx painting  system should under go the same change too. Sadly I don't have any time to implement this though :-( I'm having trouble keeping my other projects going!

clach04 (OP)

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 06:05:20 pm »
in NO.3 question:some roms cant run ,such as "rockman DX3" etc..i have test ,DX3 can run on gnuboy4D

I wonder if that is either because gnuboy4d is using an older gnuboy base (i.e. regression bug in gnuboy) or some dingux/native difference (occasionally we find oddities at runtime). Could you contact me privately about this rom?

in NO.4 question:i express wrong message... sorry for my english...i mean...if can add a gbc filter that can chang corlor screen to black and white screen ,will good.. 

Ahhh, I see! the existing color filter could probably be hacked to do that, I don't have time to work on that at the moment but I've created http://code.google.com/p/ohboy/issues/detail?id=25 for tracking.

i find another bugs...
CPU frequency cant be set,for example when you set CUP at "200mhz" ,then press apply or apply&save,then exit menu to run game...when you once again open the menu the CUP at "default"...,is not at "200mhz".....

That one s actually deliberate. My concern was people over/under-clocking and forgetting (or having problems) and needing a quick way to reset without resorting to edit .rc files. I'm reluctant to change that behavior.

clach04 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 06:19:04 pm »
Really Great Emulator! Would be nice to be able to set rom path to minisd/mass tho, you can browse to them but not set path there. Also maybe adding left and right to jump thru roms faster would be good to

This did previously work :-(  see http://code.google.com/p/ohboy/source/detail?r=fcdbcd7df812a8e05a662a8121c1fcb1af8a9a4e I'm not sure when this got broken.

One thing you can do as a workaround is edit the .rc file and set the path that way. Either on a desktop machine or on the Dingoo using https://bitbucket.org/clach04/dpadtext/overview

RE fast scrolling, yeah we need that :-( I'm pretty short on time these days. I started working on it when I had a lot of spare time (after knee surgery when I had to sit all the time), right now I'm trying to address the atrophy I have. I've not abandoned OhBoy, OhBoy is just lower on my priority list now. So if people have well engineered, clean patches that don't require re-working or cleanup that is the best way to get new features implemented. Even better would be a hg repo that can simply be pulled into the official repo.

wy_scorpio

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 11:34:20 am »

I wonder if that is either because gnuboy4d is using an older gnuboy base (i.e. regression bug in gnuboy) or some dingux/native difference (occasionally we find oddities at runtime). Could you contact me privately about this rom?

Ahhh, I see! the existing color filter could probably be hacked to do that, I don't have time to work on that at the moment but I've created http://code.google.com/p/ohboy/issues/detail?id=25 for tracking.

i find another bugs...

That one s actually deliberate. My concern was people over/under-clocking and forgetting (or having problems) and needing a quick way to reset without resorting to edit .rc files. I'm reluctant to change that behavior.

....maybe is roms chinese name problem..
when i change chinese name to english..DX3 can run fine..

DL95

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 02:41:20 pm »
i cant seem to run it, i deleted all of previous gb emulators, is there something else i have to download with it?

Post a new topic