Author Topic: LynGOO v1.1  (Read 9953 times)

Spiller (OP)

LynGOO v1.1
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:37:25 pm »

v1.1 (15 Nov 2009)
  - Added screen rotation controls.
  - Added sound on/off control.
  - Added CRC32 checks to save/load state.
  - CPU Speed set to 400MHz.
  - Frameskip disabled; not effective.

Download from: http://www.vdklip.com/dingoo/

Important note regarding save states
The format for save state files has changed in v1.1. This means that save states
from previous versions of LynGOO can no longer be loaded. This is an unfortunate
but neccessary change. On the bright side: save states should now be compatible
with the original Handy emulator and its ports.

Spiller (OP)

Re: LynGOO v1.1
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 09:40:32 pm »
Status with regards to some requests I got earlier:
  • Graphical glitches in Shadow of the Beast and Roadblasters have not been fixed yet.
  • Saving and loading the config is still not implemented; too much internals are changing still.
  • Adding a scanline filter is low priority and in reality I may never be able to add it.
  • Performance enhancements seem unneccessary now that LynGOO runs at 400MHz.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:44:02 pm by Spiller »

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:08:16 pm »
Please do not use overclock by default, it's much better if it's available as an option. Overclocking may harm the Dingoo in the long run.

Otherwise, thanks for the new release :)

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:55:35 am »
It's not overclocking, right? I thought the CPU is underclocked by default?

alekmaul

• Portabledev
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 07:56:39 am »
Yes, cpu is underclocked to 336 Mhz by default to preserve battery.
Just one question Spiller, where do you find code for dingoo speed modification ?

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 08:23:53 am »
Yes, cpu is underclocked to 336 Mhz by default to preserve battery.
Just one question Spiller, where do you find code for dingoo speed modification ?

Partly from A320Speed.zip and partly from the sources found on the Ingenic FTP server. Send me a PM reminder and I'll upload it to the development thread later today.

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 10:21:08 am »
Well just because it's underclocked doesn't mean there won't be problems if you change the clock speed in this particular hardware configuration. The hardware (and how it handles heat) is probably built around this clock speed. So it may still be harmful.

Saying that it's underclocked only to preserve battery wouldn't necessarily be true.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:24:39 am by Harteex »

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:24:55 am »
Partly true, but maybe we should discuss this in a seperate thread in the development section. I'll create such a thread tonight and share my code. At this same time we can discuss proper use of (over)clocking features.

Kalisiin

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 02:47:16 pm »
Don't you think clock speed should be a user-set option?

I do.

Something to change in this version, or something for Version 1.2?

I won't knowingly overclock my device, because I don't want to break it.

I think if you can add screen rotation, you can add a control to allow people to set their clock speed from a series of a few choices....

Since you have Dingoo normally at 336 and you set to 400...how about options for, say, 336, 360, 380, and 400...increments of 20?

QBert

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 02:28:21 am »
Partly true, but maybe we should discuss this in a seperate thread in the development section. I'll create such a thread tonight and share my code. At this same time we can discuss proper use of (over)clocking features.

Personally, I think if there's an "optimum" overclock option for a particular emulator, it should be enabled by default. However, a user-selectable overclock setting would keep everyone happy.

In any case, it's great to see Lyngoo getting closer and closer to perfection. Thank you for your efforts, Spiller!

Hellblaze

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 04:33:10 am »
Screen rotation control works perfectly. Thank you :)

Unfortunately and perhaps a bit ironically... TV out no longer works.

I have reloaded 1.0 and I can confirm that TV out worked fine in that version.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that this problem is actually caused by the overclocking.

I have never been able to play overclocked games on my big screen. As soon as I run the overclock app with TV out connected, the screen turns into a black and white mess of lines.  Same thing happens now when I load a ROM in LynGOO 1.1 while TV out is enabled.

For the record, if anyone else gets stuck like this, you can exit TV Out mode just by holding the power button up for a few seconds.

Spiller (OP)

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 08:27:32 am »
Decision taken: LynGOO 1.2 is not going to be overclocking by default anymore. My initial thought was that the Dingoo was underclocked just to preserve battery, but it seems I was wrong. Some people have Dingoos which do not run stable at 400MHz because of heat problems. The TV out problem is interesting as well. It may mean that the TV out has to be reinitialized / synced after changing the CPU speed or it may mean that the TV out doesn't work at all when overclocked.

I will do my ultimate best to squeeze a bit more performance out of LynGOO and see if I can run even more games at 100% without overclocking. Handy was not designed for performance however. Also the framerate for the problem games (Shadow of the Beast, Chip's Challenge) most often is 75 FPS which is quite high. The frameskip option in Handy is worthless too; the only thing it does is stop the emulator from outputting a frame to the screen, all effort put into painting that frame has already been done by that time.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:29:56 am by Spiller »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic