Author Topic: Overclocking?  (Read 7147 times)

artur7 (OP)

Overclocking?
« on: December 28, 2011, 02:24:47 pm »
Hello.
I'm new user of Dingoo A320. I'm experiencing difficulties in GBA and PSX emulating.
How to overclock the default Dingoo system (not Dingux) for better GBA playing?
Is there any possibility to run eg. Top Gear Raly or Driver 2 at full speed??

DiegoSLTS

Re: Overclocking?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 03:44:13 pm »
Overclocking tool for native: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,116,43

I've never used it, so I'm not sure how it works.

samir

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:33:06 pm »

bigdavebear

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 05:36:59 pm »
Hiya Overclocking is not really needed for most GBA games they run near or as fast as the orginal GBA.

As far as PSX goes well you have to like Overclock to 430Mhz or more (not many can get over 430Mhz some dont even go upto that) and then you have to turn off sound, then do frame skip all to get about 50% speed or so.

I would not even bother with PSX Emulation if your after that the Caanoo is not so bad, or try the YDP-G18 that seems to do the job, or Sony Xperia Play Phone.

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:28:25 pm »
Thanks. Can you tell me what about gba? Why those games are working so slowly?

DiegoSLTS

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:28:47 pm »
Top Gear Rally and Driver 2 run at a playable speed in gpsp (OpenDingux) with clock set to 408MHz but with slowdowns.

If a game doesn't work in an emulator, it just doesn't work, we've already told you! You can try another emulator or overclocking, but you can't do much about games that run at 4 or 5 fps, they are too much for the dingoo.

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 02:21:01 pm »
Yeah, I know about it.
And what about PSX? I tried to run a few games but every one freezes or crashes after PSX logo (Colin McRae 1, NFS 1)

zear

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »
Forget about PSX. It's too heavy for the Dingoo to emulate it.

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 04:32:56 pm »
And can you tell me how about Full Throttle game?
I played it on Nokia N95, and it was great (on emulator, of course).
Is there any possibility to run it on ScummVM on Dingoo A320?
If there is an option, is it playable??

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 05:42:26 pm »
All right, I have Abe odyssey and Rally Champ.
I'll try to set best framerate, but how to enable sound? In PSX4All settings sound is on, and in in-game settings it is also on.

lemmywinks

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 06:07:31 pm »
If you have configured the game to run at an acceptable rate then it's probably best you leave the sound off. I'm not aware of any PSX games that run at an acceptable framerate on Dingoo with sound.

PSX emulation on Dingoo is a novelty and a bonus for those games that run OK.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Rosenkranz

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 06:13:00 pm »
Full Throttle is possible on ScummVM like on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U3PTB_XOeQ

You can enable sound but it will be totally unplayable on psx4all (that is the reason why it is always off). You should try to play games which don't depend of sound, like Red alert or C&C, UFO-XCOM, or something like that which are playable with lower frame rate.

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 07:30:19 pm »
Thanks. I'll try to install Full Throttle tommorow.
But I have another question about PSX4ALL : I managed to run Abe's Odyssey at full speed. It looks great ;-).
But everyone that played that game must admit, that the most important was the sound (the way that Abe was speaking ;-)).
So, I want to ask : how to turn on the sound in this game? In PSX4ALL the sound is ON, and in game's menu also it is ON, but I can't hear anything. I know that it will probably make this game unplayable, but I just want to hear it.
Is there any way to enable sound??

And another question : in Dingux menu, on the bottom of the screen, there's "336mhz" sign. I understand that it is processor clock speed. How to increase it??
When I press start, I can see options : "Clock for GMenu2X - 400" and "Maximum overclock - 430".
Which one is the value that affects the games (including PSX4ALL and GPSP)?
I tried to set "Clock for GMenu2X" at 430, but Dingux crashed.

Rosenkranz

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 08:12:29 pm »
To enable sound, you should download psx4all version with sound in it from this site here I think(not sure which one):
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,1

The number which says 366Mhz is clock speed of icon you have selected in the menu(so you can have programs you start with different clock speed). To edit them you should press  SELECT button and on the menu go to Edit *name of the icon here* by pressing B
You will get another menu where you have Clock(default: 336) where you should put desired clock speed of that program you want to start. Exit by pressing START button. I put my psx4all on 430Mhz.

I think that you shouldn't overclock GMenu2X because it is only clock of menu and not of the games :). I keep it on 200Mhz. And while you are editing program's clock, you could lower the back light value from 100 to maybe 60. It will increase your battery life while still keeping everything visible.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:16:11 pm by Rosenkranz »

artur7 (OP)

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 04:16:09 pm »
Is it safe to overclock native software??
Will it help to get a better framerate in GBA games??

Post a new topic