Author Topic: Guide - Flashing custom firmwares to your Dingoo  (Read 66782 times)

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
Re: Guide - Flashing custom firmwares to your Dingoo
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 03:11:45 pm »
The problem sounded like you had probably enabled custom themes support, so when it was sat on the paw screen you needed to copy over the /SYSTEM/ directory to your internal flash.

Nickeng

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 05:48:41 pm »
The problem sounded like you had probably enabled custom themes support, so when it was sat on the paw screen you needed to copy over the /SYSTEM/ directory to your internal flash.

OK interesting point - that did probably happen.

Thanks for the tip.

eule

• * Former Staff
  • e
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 06:12:46 pm »
Thatīs the same thing that happened to me, sorry for the confusion i started back then.  :)

NinJato

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 06:22:48 pm »
I have spent the last two months learning all I can about the Dingoo and the available software (...and sorting ROMs). I have flashed my test Dingoo over 50 times trying to make it "perfect". I have had my 16GB Micro SD for a week now and triple checked all the English... Last changes: "Browser" to "Explorer" and ">" to "->".

My Dingoo: 3.5GB free Internal Memory and only 530MB left on the 16GB SD Card  :P
FW Ver. 1.2-POV with default "paw" boot screens and English (http://members.shaw.ca/jato/FullEnglishTranslations.txt).
My own custom "Frankentheme" (Windows XP Theme, with Mac Menu Icons and iTouch Sub-menu Icons).
All the latest Dingoo Emulators, Applications and Jungletac ROMs.

Capcom, NeoGeo, GBoy Advanced, Super NES, NES and Sega GameGear ROMs on the SD Card.

Dingux (dual-boot):
Methane Bros, gChess, Mancala
Wolf3D, Doom, Duke3D
MAME, Sega Genesis, Turbo GRFX-16
Calculator, Write

...would... you... like... to... Play... A... Game?

;D

Special thanks to omgmog and Dingoonity for all the information on customizing firmware!  8)

Edit:
I just flashed my 4th Dingoo and noticed one last bit of Engrish (figures... as soon as you're done the last one, you see a mistake :P ).

Open Slideshow changed to Start Slideshow

Translations.TXT updated (hopefully for the last time), on December 2nd, 2009.
 :o
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:43:51 pm by NinJato »

Kalisiin

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 07:59:56 pm »
I have spent the last two months learning all I can about the Dingoo and the available software (...and sorting ROMs). I have flashed my test Dingoo over 50 times trying to make it "perfect". I have had my 16GB Micro SD for a week now and triple checked all the English... Last changes: "Browser" to "Explorer" and ">" to "->".

My Dingoo: 3.5GB free Internal Memory and only 530MB left on the 16GB SD Card  :P
FW Ver. 1.2-POV with default "paw" boot screens and English (http://members.shaw.ca/jato/FullEnglishTranslations.txt).
My own custom "Frankentheme" (Windows XP Theme, with Mac Menu Icons and iTouch Sub-menu Icons).
All the latest Dingoo Emulators, Applications and Jungletac ROMs.

Capcom, NeoGeo, GBoy Advanced, Super NES, NES and Sega GameGear ROMs on the SD Card.

Dingux (dual-boot):
Methane Bros, gChess, Mancala
Wolf3D, Doom, Duke3D
MAME, Sega Genesis, Turbo GRFX-16
Calculator, Write

...would... you... like... to... Play... A... Game?

;D

Special thanks to omgmog and Dingoonity for all the information on customizing firmware!  8)

Nice!

I feel ya on the "sorting ROMS" thing...I have been doing that about since I got the Dingoo...I'm near the end of what has been a very time consuming task now, and should finish with over 1000 games I actually like and may even play on my system...and almost none that I would never play.

In fact, if I can be 100 percent sure on how to get rid of games I do not want on dingux, I'd get rid of the ones I don't want there, like Doom.

It seems to me that if you alter the dmenu.cfg file, and then take out the entire game's file, that should permanently remove unwanted built-in games from the dingoo, but I'm not willing to risk that until I have a full backup of everything else done first.

Kalisiin

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 09:58:47 am »
OK, I'm just a bit confuzzed here.

If you use only the HXFTool to customize...then your Dingux flash remains intact...otherwise if you use your burning tool, then you'd have to re-flash Dingux again, too?

If you can use just the HFXTool...does this allow for then custom themes on the Dingoo, so that you could, say, use the Windows 7 theme?

I'm just not sure about this.

Basically all I really want, more than anything, is to fix the rotten English, and make it into real English.

Nickeng

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2009, 10:19:46 am »

If you use only the HXFTool to customize...then your Dingux flash remains intact...otherwise if you use your burning tool, then you'd have to re-flash Dingux again, too?

If you can use just the HFXTool...does this allow for then custom themes on the Dingoo, so that you could, say, use the Windows 7 theme?

Basically all I really want, more than anything, is to fix the rotten English, and make it into real English.

I dont use Dingux , but with the HXFTool you can enable support for custom themes and use the Windows 7 theme (i use this) and same time you can replace the 'engrish'.

We 'all' really need to lobby Dingoo and get them to accept a community supplied English language text options file and have them intergrate it into the next firmware release. Surely this cant be that hard to do ?

I also used this as a basis: http://members.shaw.ca/jato/FullEnglishTranslations.txt.

How do we get them to update the next firmware?

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2009, 10:22:25 pm »

Yes, the firmware burning tool will wipe out the Dingux boot stuff from your Dingoo (it won't touch your SD card), so you will simply have to reinstall the Dingux boot loader after you flash a custom firmware with the firmware burning tool. Alternatively, you could try installing a custom firmware (such as the Dingoonity 1.2 cfw) using the regular upgrade method.

Kalisiin

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2009, 05:21:10 am »

Yes, the firmware burning tool will wipe out the Dingux boot stuff from your Dingoo (it won't touch your SD card), so you will simply have to reinstall the Dingux boot loader after you flash a custom firmware with the firmware burning tool. Alternatively, you could try installing a custom firmware (such as the Dingoonity 1.2 cfw) using the regular upgrade method.

Dingoonity 1.2 won't screw up Dingux, then?  Can you use HXFTool with that...or is there some other way to get custom bootup screens on that?

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2009, 02:41:44 pm »
Dingoonity 1.2 won't screw up Dingux, then?  Can you use HXFTool with that...or is there some other way to get custom bootup screens on that?

As I said, if you install a custom firmware by upgrade (a320.hxf on root of internal flash, boot while holding down on d-pad) it won't alter the Dingux boot. In some cases though this method doesn't work, so you would have to use the firmware flasher (firmware burner... whatever you want to call it), which would overwrite the Dingux boot files, so they would need to be reinstalled to your Dingoo afterwards.

Dingoonity cfw 1.2 works fine with the firmware editor, providing you make the images exactly how I say to in this very guide.

evilronald

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 02:16:02 am »
cheers dude, this got me out of a sticky situation after i bricked my dingoo...erm by switching it on! ???, anyhow, all fixed now lol  ;D

woooozzaa

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2009, 03:26:06 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to write this easy tutorial. Was there any more tests tried on the firmware? Like shuffling the menu around (ex: adding sub-menus for each emu) getting rid of those white lines in the lists etc. ? Might work on some themes to contribute to the scene a little  :).

EDIT: *mod edit, moved to right topic*
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:34:32 am by omgmog »

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 01:36:18 am »
From what I could tell there isn't anyway to physically move/add/remove the menu entries, just change the strings that are displayed.

If you look in my Dingoonity Custom Firmware topic though, you will see that I've made a version with a relocated /Game/ directory -- moved to the miniSD instead of internal flash.

So that's one kind of mod you can do.

You could also sort your roms/games into subdirectories for a bit more structure, but that's about it

dingoomom

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2009, 09:24:53 pm »
As someone who is totally new to this emulator world, I found this post very helpful. I have 2 questions that I think it would be helpful if they were addressed.

1. When going into the system diagnostics to see which LCD version I have, I did not know how to get out of it. I just did a reset.

2. When using the patch for themes, the instructions say the a system directory is generated and needs to be moved to the root of the Dingoo. Where is this directory found after it is generated?

In my first attempt, I tried to skip dealing with the system directory hoping to do it another time. Unfortunately I just bricked the unit. Hitting reset while holding B unfroze it and I flashed an unedited hxf file. The Dingoo is happy once again (and so is my son!)

Thanks for a great tutorial!

ETA: for some reason the a320.hxf file was not on the dingoo. The first time I connected to the computer, it finished the update and closed the connection to the computer. The second time I connected to the computer, it was visible to the computer and I just copied the a320 file from the computer to the dingoo, then restarted the dingoo while holding the d-pad "down" key. It is now recognizable again.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:46:21 pm by dingoomom »

omgmog (OP)

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2009, 12:29:47 am »
As someone who is totally new to this emulator world, I found this post very helpful. I have 2 questions that I think it would be helpful if they were addressed.

1. When going into the system diagnostics to see which LCD version I have, I did not know how to get out of it. I just did a reset.

2. When using the patch for themes, the instructions say the a system directory is generated and needs to be moved to the root of the Dingoo. Where is this directory found after it is generated?

In my first attempt, I tried to skip dealing with the system directory hoping to do it another time. Unfortunately I just bricked the unit. Hitting reset while holding B unfroze it and I flashed an unedited hxf file. The Dingoo is happy once again (and so is my son!)

Thanks for a great tutorial!

ETA: for some reason the a320.hxf file was not on the dingoo. The first time I connected to the computer, it finished the update and closed the connection to the computer. The second time I connected to the computer, it was visible to the computer and I just copied the a320 file from the computer to the dingoo, then restarted the dingoo while holding the d-pad "down" key. It is now recognizable again.

Hi there,
Thanks for the feedback on the tutorial, now in response to your questions:

1 - Pressing B should get you out of the diagnostics screen, that's the usual button behaviour to go "back to the previous screen" on the Dingoo firmware
2 - Hxftool will generate a folder alongside the exe that you launched, inside that will be the "SYSTEM" directory.
  --- a note here, by flashing a custom hxf and forgetting to put the "SYSTEM" directory onto your Dingoo you haven't actually bricked it. You should still be able to boot into usb mode (boot+b) and then copy the "SYSTEM" directory over to the flash, without having to restore an untouched a320.hxf

I hope that helps,
Max

Post a new topic