Author Topic: Video Review Tegra Iplay 7 with Tests Witcher 3,gamestream, MAME, Dreamcast,psp  (Read 27338 times)

nielo360 (OP)

Video review
<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190314014456/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWeexulug0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWeexulug0</a>
Iv been messing around with the iplay 7 inch Tegra 4 for quiet a bit. If you see my posts on the iplay thread in this forum  you will notice it has been by far the most challenging device to get into a stable review state. This is due to the large amounts of unknowns with regards to bug fixes and firmwares and the language barrier. Nevertheless, I think Iv reached a fair compromise in terms of what I could reasonably fix to get the video going soon.

Notes:
The iplay uses standard HID controls and runs android 4.4.2 ( the elusive lollipop update is nowhere to be found)

There are so far 3 Chinese roms and 1 international rom. (international rom has battery standby drain,low volume issues so I dont recommend using that.) None of these roms include the illusive updated keymapper from nvidia which is shown here on the iplay. http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3368667729

This Chinese Rom(change language to English in settings) which I will link below is fairly stable in every way, however does not include the updated Nvidia keymapper either (necessary for fps games) nor does it have the google play store. You may use tincore instead along with google installer to easily install the play store.

Start and select need to be assigned to the back or multi button by using 3rd party apps such as game controller 2 touch or tincore.

Performance mode is always kept on Max =all cores no fps limit because Normal mode= limits fps to 30, while power saver mode = Limits it to 2 cpu cores and 30fps. This feels like a bug although it does not affect the battery much.

The Iplay screen is 56hz and does effect some emulated games (not all) and can be rectified to some degree by using frameskip on those emulated games.

Does support 5ghz networks. (make sure you use asia channels in your router if its not showing)

Turn off nvidia prism in power saving settings because it makes the screen have an odd yellow tint when its on.

LINKS
ROM: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3368667729
ROOT: I used kingroot: http://www.kingroot.net/down
Google installer (in chinese must be rooted for use):  http://pan.baidu.com/s/1nt5I5RF
Benchmarks

GPD Q9 comparison:
Screen on the iplay is much better in terms of color than the GPD Q9 despite the fact that both are ips displays

The iplay screen however is 56hz (which effects some emulated games but not all)

The iplay considerably thinner and lighter to hold in comparison to the GPD Q9

Although the pics dont show it well its quiet a bit less chunky than the GPD Q9

IPLAY Control scheme:
Dpad, left Analog, L3

Face buttons, Right Analog, R3

R1, R2,L1,L2
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:35:46 am by nielo360 »

Stranger_Eddie

Nice review friend  ;D

Did you do some test with OTG cable in Iplay?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:27:28 am by Stranger_Eddie »

nielo360 (OP)

Nice review friend  ;D

Did you do some test with OTG cable in Iplay?

I dont have the Otg cable for it so I cant test hdmi

wrc1010

Should i get the matrimax iplay or GPD Q9 because this 2 gamepad device look promising to play all android or emulator game?

rotaryfreak3

Should i get the matrimax iplay or GPD Q9 because this 2 gamepad device look promising to play all android or emulator game?

Well the iPlay seems to be more than double the price of the Q9. Are you on a budget?

wrc1010

Well the iPlay seems to be more than double the price of the Q9. Are you on a budget?
Actually i already have nvidia shield portable but i dont like the 5 inch screen and decide to sell it and get the 7 inch gamepad.

From what i have do some online research, so far GPD Q9 and Matrimax iplay is the best two 7 inch gamepad now and iplay is more expensive then Q9 but dont know whether the Q9 performance will be enough to play all the android and emulator game because i know iplay will be no problem to play all the game because it is using nvidia shield chip.

Like to know which gamepad is more stable and also which will be get most update because i know nvidia shield portable come out a lot of update but dont know matrimax iplay will be getting same update as nvidia shield portable or not.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:26:05 am by wrc1010 »

nielo360 (OP)

Actually i already have nvidia shield portable but i dont like the 5 inch screen and decide to sell it and get the 7 inch gamepad.

From what i have do some online research, so far GPD Q9 and Matrimax iplay is the best two 7 inch gamepad now and iplay is more expensive then Q9 but dont know whether the Q9 performance will be enough to play all the android and emulator game because i know iplay will be no problem to play all the game because it is using nvidia shield chip.

Like to know which gamepad is more stable and also which will be get most update because i know nvidia shield portable come out a lot of update but dont know matrimax iplay will be getting same update as nvidia shield portable or not.

Im still trying to get the review done but despite being a pretty good 7 inch device I would strongly suggest you wait for the shield portable 2 or buy a GPD G5A/G7 or ipega 9500 unless you have time to make slight calibrations on the device (Rom's, keylayout editing for gamestream controls,switching between game controller 2 touch and tincore) When you calibrate the device its great but this is purely an enthusiast device and not for mainstream use given its price and software bugs. I dont think you should get the Q9 the nubs are simply bad, the cpu isnt the strongest, the gpu however is quiet good.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:35:21 pm by nielo360 »

wrc1010

I already say i have nvidia shield portable but 5 inch screen is too small for me and i would like to buy 7 inch gamepad.

So either i get matrimax iplay or gpd q9 because this 2 gamepad is so far run on high performance but just dont know which one is more stable and usually will get update.

Like to know where are you getting your matrimax iplay from?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:45:50 pm by wrc1010 »

nielo360 (OP)

I already say i have nvidia shield portable but 5 inch screen is too small for me and i would like to buy 7 inch gamepad.

So either i get matrimax iplay or gpd q9 because this 2 gamepad is so far run on high performance but just dont know which one is more stable and usually will get update.

Like to know where are you getting your matrimax iplay from?

If you only want to pick from Q9 and iplay, i would say pick the  Q9 the software is better and you get more updates perhaps(but its simply bad for gaming as the controls are not good). If money is not an issue and you are well versed in android (flashing, rooting, removing system apps) you can get iplay 7.  I got mine from aliexpress.

nielo360 (OP)

Apologies for the long delay here is my video review if anyone is curious about the iplay 7:
<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190314014456/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWeexulug0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWeexulug0</a>

Virus_God

Good Review ;)

Vygor

Thank you very much for the multithreading tip in PPSSPP emulator my beloved Gran Turismo works much better on my W1!

nielo360 (OP)

Thank you very much for the multithreading tip in PPSSPP emulator my beloved Gran Turismo works much better on my W1!

glad it is was helpful!

wrc1010

Too bad recently i just get my JXD S7800B and it look also good enough to play every game but not good as iplay as i know.

I wonder whether nvidia shield portable 2 will be either 7 or 8 inch screen same like iplay that build in game controller on it. If yes then i definitely get it.

dreball

Great review sing nitpick! I'm new to the mobile Android emulator scene and I am probably what everyone calls a noob. I know you all hate me now. For the last month I've been researching which 7-inch device would be best for me and I've often been lead to digoonity boards as they are really good and informative. Its pretty clear the iPlay 7 is the most powerful device with the best screen but obviously there many other good/decent 7-inchers.

Im looking for a device that will be simple to set up emulators and ROMs for them because frankly I can't understand most of the technical jargon on these boards. To give you an idea, I'm a Mac user(I know you all hate me even more now). I've been able to setup some emulators with ROMs/ISOs on my mac but obviously Android is more complicated(especially if its in Chinese!). I just want a device that's easy to setup, easy to keymap and optimize and will emulate N64, PS1, NDS, and Dreamcast(along with the retro consoles), no game-streaming. Fastcardtech offers the iPlay rooted(don't really know what that means), unlocked(kinda know) and with Google Play installed which i know is essential for getting emulators(not sure about ROMs/ISOs though). Im not sure if this means the device will be in English or not.

Im not dumb, just have never worked with computers much, so I'm willing to do a little bit of tinkering to get any 7-incher to work optimally, but again I don't know very much. I've narrowed it down to JXD 7800B, GPD G7, iPega 9700 & 9701, Archos Gamepad 2, Wikipad, Tuvva Power Play, iBen OYE Style, bigben Gametab One, and Tegra iPlay 7(the one i'm most excited about). I also like the iPega's and GPD G7 type controls a lot. Knowing the deal fastcardtech can give me, which device should i get? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

nielo360 (OP)

Great review sing nitpick! I'm new to the mobile Android emulator scene and I am probably what everyone calls a noob. I know you all hate me now. For the last month I've been researching which 7-inch device would be best for me and I've often been lead to digoonity boards as they are really good and informative. Its pretty clear the iPlay 7 is the most powerful device with the best screen but obviously there many other good/decent 7-inchers.

Im looking for a device that will be simple to set up emulators and ROMs for them because frankly I can't understand most of the technical jargon on these boards. To give you an idea, I'm a Mac user(I know you all hate me even more now). I've been able to setup some emulators with ROMs/ISOs on my mac but obviously Android is more complicated(especially if its in Chinese!). I just want a device that's easy to setup, easy to keymap and optimize and will emulate N64, PS1, NDS, and Dreamcast(along with the retro consoles), no game-streaming. Fastcardtech offers the iPlay rooted(don't really know what that means), unlocked(kinda know) and with Google Play installed which i know is essential for getting emulators(not sure about ROMs/ISOs though). Im not sure if this means the device will be in English or not.

Im not dumb, just have never worked with computers much, so I'm willing to do a little bit of tinkering to get any 7-incher to work optimally, but again I don't know very much. I've narrowed it down to JXD 7800B, GPD G7, iPega 9700 & 9701, Archos Gamepad 2, Wikipad, Tuvva Power Play, iBen OYE Style, bigben Gametab One, and Tegra iPlay 7(the one i'm most excited about). I also like the iPega's and GPD G7 type controls a lot. Knowing the deal fastcardtech can give me, which device should i get? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Welcome to the forums, youll find many helpful people here as almost everything I know about these devices I learnt from forum users here as well. For a 7inch device that has good support and is easy to use I would suggest you get the GPD G7, its easy to use powerful enough to run alot of emulators. The G7 comes with happy chick pre installed so all you need to do is choose the rom you wish to download. Once you get used to that you will want to pick certain emulators that you find work best for you in case your not happy with your stock emulator. I cant recommend the iplay because the 56hz screen can be an issue in some games but not all and the price/learning curve can be steep for a newcomer.The jxd 7800 has a host of issues and is pretty much obsolete as jxd has stopped making consoles.

As with all Chinese devices I think you will quickly realize you will have to make some sacrifices no matter which device you choose, with the G7 its the mediocre screen which is not ips. As for the ipega 9700 It may work fine as is but they are no updates released for it nor is there much support for it as the company has not released the source code to any of the devs here. The GPD G7 is well supported and should you want to in the future you can use the excellent legacy Rom available in the gpd forum for further customization such as overclocking and bloat removal.

For your future purchases I would also recommend you always invest in a device which people have used thoroughly and posted about since this will help with any issues or fixes and also prevent you from loosing money over RMA/shipping back to china.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:26:22 am by nielo360 »

dreball

nielo360, thank you so much for the advice!!! I definitely like the G7, the controls look great and it seems pretty powerful. My only concern is what effect the 1GB of RAM(rather than 2GB) will have on performance. Also does it come in english? What about Google Play?

For the iPlay Im not too concerned about the 54Hz screen after your video. It looked like frameskip and hyperthreading fixed that issue and that seems simple enough even for me. The price is manageable too. I just talked to fastcardtech and they said the device has English and Chinese as default languages. From your experience though, it sounds like they are lying. Or maybe when they unlock, root, and add google play it changes language default.

I will probably buy the G7 now(I hope it comes in English lol) and then once I get the feel of it, hopefully buy the iPlay. Who knows, maybe the price will drop or better yet a new 7-inch Tegra K1 or X1 comes out. I've heard the Nvidia Portable 2 will have X1 and an 8inch screen. that'd be great

nielo360 (OP)

nielo360, thank you so much for the advice!!! I definitely like the G7, the controls look great and it seems pretty powerful. My only concern is what effect the 1GB of RAM(rather than 2GB) will have on performance. Also does it come in english? What about Google Play?

For the iPlay Im not too concerned about the 54Hz screen after your video. It looked like frameskip and hyperthreading fixed that issue and that seems simple enough even for me. The price is manageable too. I just talked to fastcardtech and they said the device has English and Chinese as default languages. From your experience though, it sounds like they are lying. Or maybe when they unlock, root, and add google play it changes language default.

I will probably buy the G7 now(I hope it comes in English lol) and then once I get the feel of it, hopefully buy the iPlay. Who knows, maybe the price will drop or better yet a new 7-inch Tegra K1 or X1 comes out. I've heard the Nvidia Portable 2 will have X1 and an 8inch screen. that'd be great

Frameskip sort of fixes the issue (its 99.9% smooth not a 100% due to skip effect in ppsspp). The iplay does have an English rom (that has google play included) however my device came with the Chinese rom (no google play, but you can change language in settings). With emulation 1gb is more than enough you will not notice any performance degradation due to ram. Ram is generally more useful for heavy multitasking or the few high end android games that need it(conduit HD)

People are expecting the shield portable to be announced at e3 june 14th or so and lot of us are looking forward to it.  The G7 generally comes with the English rom and google play ( this may depend on the seller but it is always prerooted)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:42:01 am by nielo360 »

dreball

Where did you get your iplay from? the lowest price I could find was at fastcardtech for $250 plus they have some nice options for a dummy like me.

Good to know that 1GB will be plenty for emulation, that'll put some other devices back in play for me.

I just saw your review on the G7 and it looks pretty good, a better screen would be nice though, especially after how crappy you said it was ;D. did you ever end up modding the D-pad? I love platformers so I kinda need a good D-pad. The iPega 9700 D-pad looks nice plus a better screen.

I also saw your Nvidia Shield plus iPega 9023 videos cause Im considering that too even though it'd be overkill. Hey I heard that most emulator Roms don't use more than 2 cores, does that mean that the X1(having 8 cores) won't be better than the K1 for emulation?

nielo360 (OP)

Where did you get your iplay from? the lowest price I could find was at fastcardtech for $250 plus they have some nice options for a dummy like me.

Good to know that 1GB will be plenty for emulation, that'll put some other devices back in play for me.

I just saw your review on the G7 and it looks pretty good, a better screen would be nice though, especially after how crappy you said it was ;D. did you ever end up modding the D-pad? I love platformers so I kinda need a good D-pad. The iPega 9700 D-pad looks nice plus a better screen.

I also saw your Nvidia Shield plus iPega 9023 videos cause Im considering that too even though it'd be overkill. Hey I heard that most emulator Roms don't use more than 2 cores, does that mean that the X1(having 8 cores) won't be better than the K1 for emulation?
I got mine from aliexpress with shipping it came to about $320.  If you are playing anything below PSP game emulation you dont need an x1 or tegra k1 as they are indeed overkill, that being said if you want  more Powerful PSP, Dolphin(in the future) emulation you will need a k1 and higher.

Post a new topic