Author Topic: Nvidia Shield worth buying? If I have 3DS and Vita?  (Read 2789 times)

KSS1992 (OP)

Nvidia Shield worth buying? If I have 3DS and Vita?
« on: April 11, 2014, 12:25:53 am »
I know I posted this before I promise this is the last one lol. I do own a 3DS XL and a Vita and I was wondering if it's worth getting a shield the emulation is intriguing but I wonder is it really worth if I have these other two lol.

retrogamer

Re: Nvidia Shield worth buying? If I have 3DS and Vita?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:54:00 pm »
The Shield is excellent for emulation, so I would definitely recommend it for that. I have also been quite happy with the game selection android has, seems like it is getting better. I had a PS Vita and liked the system, but it did not have enough games or the type of games I like. I ended up selling my Vita and have been quite happy with the Shield since I got it. I also find it more comfortable to play games for long periods then the Vita.

You cannot really compare the Vita or 3DS to Shield. They are dedicated handhelds that overall have better games, if you like the games the systems have, but the Shield is the right system for me and has the type of games I like to play. Even if you only want it for emulation, I think the Shield is worth it.

It really depends what you want.

Rock27

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:03:41 pm »
it depents...
Shield is perfect for emulation, if you are not interest in this, the shield is not for you.
3DS and Vita has better games than Android, but Android has the 50% of the Indie games of Vita and usually cheaper.
The Shield  has more FPS (single and multi) and Racing games than the other two, and a lot of Hack&Slash games and 16 bits rpg, and has some mmorpg too. But the quality of that games are not equal to nintendo or Sony exclusive games.

If you have a Nvidia GPU in your PC compatible with Shield maybe you can stream all your Steam catalogue to Shield if your internet is good.

Shield is usually the best handlets for PC gamers or 20+ years people, Android games are cheap like Steam games, not so expensive like Nintendo or Sony; and you can play all the retro emulation you want. But if you have the other two handlets and good money maybe if not for you.

Sorry for mi english

­

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 05:00:02 am »
If you only had the 3DS, I'd say it was worth a buy. Currently, the 3DS's catalog is limited and contains mainly of rehashes of same old concepts - and you can get the games they mimic and more running on the Shield. It just isn't worthwhile to buy that console.

On the other hand, the Vita can and does emulate PSP and PS1 titles, plus it has its own miniscule library of games. When it will be hacked, it could potentially emulate NES, SNES, Gameboy\Color\Advance, and more. Having it as a POTENTIAL retro gaming system plus a new console may be a smart choice, and if you already own it - you may want to skip the Shield, as it will hold its value as a primary retro console for a limited time.

The pros of the Shield are already stated here - it runs Android and is compatible with most, if not all, of its library of games. It can function as a tablet. It is the most capable emulation and gaming Android device on the market. You really can't go wrong buying if you're looking for that kind of thing - but here's the catch. Being an Android device, it will not have exclusives, not major ones at the very least. So it isn't about broadening your horizons and experiencing new games.

To summarize, I think that getting a 3DS is a mistake. The Vita has untapped potential and is a good investment. The Shield is already proven as a gaming device, yet you only get what you see, and nothing more.
It's up to you to decide if you want another device, though personally, I think it's redundant.

Rock27

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 01:43:02 pm »
if you are going to buy a vita to play PSP and PSx better buy a hacked PSP or a GPD G5a, is more cheaper!! if not you are going to pay again por psp and psx titles.
The shield can do that too but in better resolution, playing Tekken 6 in HD looks awesome, is a plus.

The vita scene is still very green ( young? i dont know how said that in other languajes is a expression from here...), a hacked vita only can play psp games in native resolution, and the system is still inestable i dont know how it react where system update comes...better buy a hacked psp or a gpd g5a, use the Vita for Vita games, there at least 20 good games in there...expensives but good games, you play what you pay.

Prophet

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 06:48:06 am »
I bought a Shield a few days ago, and own a Vita.

Love them both. I think they each offer different experiences that are worth having. Shield is very nice hardware for the money ($199 now) and built like a tank. Seriously, mine took a good fall the other day and not even a micro scratch -- kinda blew my mind. I just wish Shield was a little lighter and trimmer, and not so heavy and bulky, but it's damn good hardware nevertheless.

Also, Shield has some amazing emulation abilities, i.e. DS is basically perfect, and Dreamcast is pretty good for some games. The huge Xbox 1 style controller can feel a bit weird with 8bit and 16bit games sometimes IMO, but it certainly works. If they ever make a Shield 2 I would like to see them mimic the Xbox 360 pad instead, which is IMO the best pad design overall.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:55:47 am by Prophet »

Charliedontsurf

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 10:48:02 pm »
Shield is an amazing value at $200 as others have said, and build quality is very high. It has console mode and even has the muscle to play 4K videos. From a value standpoint I think it blows the doors off the Vita beyond a doubt. I'm not in love with some of its ergonomics and I really dislike the screen size. It's a very nice screen, but I would simply prefer a 7 inch screen, and the screen it does have has a big-ass bezel all around it that makes it seem smaller than its 5 inches.

I am personally coming to prefer a gaming tablet's ergonomics and utility to the Shield, but the Shield is undeniably very powerful and a great value, and many people will prefer the full-on console type controller the Shield offers.
Xperia Play, Nvidia Shield
Emulation should be free and open.

Rock27

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 01:36:31 pm »
remember that Vita Game Store is very different to Shield(tegra)-Android Game Store

Vita has fighting games, exelents jrpg, and action open world games

Shield-Android has a LOT of racing games, a good couple of jrpg, a lot of action RPG, has mmorpgs!! but Shield ussually cant play strategy games, and Android has a lot of them, because of the 5" screen, for Android gaming is prefer a 7" so you can play touch strategy games too (you can install games like Anomaly 2 and Shadowrun return but they are inplayableds).

Oh and Shield has 3 GTA, plus 4 GangStar Games, and can run the 3 PSP GTA Games too XD
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:04:49 pm by Rock27 »

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 03:36:10 pm »
[Wrong thread, sorry.]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:46:49 pm by Drem »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic