Author Topic: Nvidia Shield Console - With Tegra X1  (Read 8401 times)

vcoleiro1 (OP)

Nvidia Shield Console - With Tegra X1
« on: March 04, 2015, 05:38:41 am »
Nvidia has just announced a Shield Android TV Console (just called Shield) with:

1) Tegra X1
2) 3GB memory
3) Micro SD slot for storage expansion
4) USB 3.0 ports, ethernet, HDMI
5) Price is $199 - that includes their low latency Shield Controller which comes standard.
6) They rolled out GRID also(out of Beta), which you can also use via Shield, stream games at 1080p and 60fps
Hmm, didn't realise GRID had such huge games on it. Like Resident Evil 2 . Seems they really put a lot of work to beef up GRID with a supercomputer install base
7) Launches in May

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/03/shield-set-top-box/

World's first 4K at 60FPS,Android TV Box, with twice the power of a Xbox 360 according to them

Jen-Hsun, mentioned games delivered via GRID have the potential to be better than PS4 games due to the power of GRID.

Demo showed Borderlands game running on Shield, seems they have been working to get it on the Shield for launch.

Looks like they have been working to get PC games ported to the Shield.  They look pretty awesome. They just showed The Talos Principle

50 Launch titles dedicated for the Shield. Doesn't include Play store or GRID games no doubt .

Here's a story on the games coming to the Shield console: http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/03/crysis-3-android/

Ooo, they are launching Crysis 3 for it.  Of course they announced it with the old, can it run Crysis, yes it can and will

I hope they include the Ouya store - no word on it though

More details coming

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:38:20 am by vcoleiro1 »

skelton

Re: Nvidia Shield Console - With Tegra X1
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:29:26 am »
I don't think I get one. My Tvbox already suit my needs, and the exclusive games for Tegra X1 I can play them in PC, so.....
Retired

Deen0X

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:45:52 am »
when we see these games on google play store as normal apps/games, we will start to consider google as serious gaming.
I really want to belibe that android will become onto another alternative for multi-platform releases of games, but for now, i prefer to be skeptical with this.

lemmywinks

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 12:25:53 pm »
I don't think I get one. My Tvbox already suit my needs, and the exclusive games for Tegra X1 I can play them in PC, so.....

Yup. I have been playing most of these games (not Crysis 3 though) on my cheap 11" laptop for ages now, not much incentive to buy a presumably expensive Android box.

If it was a handheld then I would be much more interested. It's pretty good progress although like DeenOX said it doesn't mean a great deal until it is universal across the Android platform.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

pcercuei

• My devblog
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 12:58:53 pm »
Well I'd say that $199 is okay for what it offers.

I find that the numbers are misleading as they only talk about the GPU; the Xbox/PS4 spank it if you compare the CPUs.

Deen0X

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 01:11:19 pm »
for now, they confirm 50 games from pc ported to android. this is a very good first step.

hope we get titles such Crysis 3 and other newest on android platform...

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190316071930/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VO-m3D79TQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VO-m3D79TQ</a>

skelton

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 01:27:50 pm »
If you already have those games on PC, which most people will have, you'll need to pay again to play them on Android for sure. So..... not a great deal.
Retired

kristianity77

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 12:23:03 am »
I'm gonna be all over this when its released.  Sold my S7800 a while back and was looking to wait for an all singing and dancing device I could hook up to the television and this looks like it.

This should do emulation of pretty much anything that exists currently.  I'd be surprised if PPSSPP didn't run flawlessly with the power this thing has.  Also Dreamcast (if it gets updated) should be no bother for this and perhaps even Dolphin isn't totally out of reach when you compare the power of this to the Tegra K1.  Add support for 4K video and the fact that it "should" run anything android without a hitch and with a controller, there is a alot going for this for the price!
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

lemmywinks

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 12:55:26 pm »
If you already have those games on PC, which most people will have, you'll need to pay again to play them on Android for sure. So..... not a great deal.

Plus a lot of them are older games which will run on very basic PCs already, like those Bay Trail TV boxes you get for ?60. Some look like they are a genuine step forward like Crysis 3, Metro Last Light Redux and Borderlands Pre Sequel, have no idea what sort of settings it's running them at but it's good news anyway.

Price isn't too bad though, it's just a strange product IMO. Anybody who has a PS4/XB1 is going to wonder why they should spend $200 on something else which isn't as well suited to the task of TV gaming and has a comparatively tiny library of decent games.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

­

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 04:13:11 pm »
Price isn't too bad though, it's just a strange product IMO. Anybody who has a PS4/XB1 is going to wonder why they should spend $200 on something else which isn't as well suited to the task of TV gaming and has a comparatively tiny library of decent games.
The Android TV Box has always been a strange market, because it relied heavily of ports of either mobile or console games without any real development teams dedicated to it. It isn't really a game console, per se.

But it's all about the point of view. In a free market when you have access to a high end PC or any of the new consoles, it's far better to just buy one of those rather than buying an underpowered device for a low price. However, many places around the world do not have that privilege - the South American market is facing import restrictions and heavy taxing, for example, and there are many communities around the world which are poor and getting a proper console is simply out of the question.

It is a bit strange that nVidia is marketing a TV Box for everyone, but they are contributing immensely to the amount of quality ports of PC games, so I don't know. Maybe they're readying the market for "1 generation late"-mobile gaming, which is a huge step forward from the current "2 generation late"-mobile gaming.

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 12:22:30 am »
There will be multiple reasons people will buy this.

1) If they have or are planning on buying a 4K TV and want a good media streamer/player to go with it.
People have mentioned hooking up a PC to a TV. To get the same performance PC capable of proper 60fps 4K, that would involve way more than $200.  Plus a PC is a far more fiddly setup particularly for the average joe who just wants something to work out of the box.

2) Android TV Apps and Gaming on the TV

3) Shield gaming on the TV with PC like games.
You can just buy PC games is the other argument ive heard,  PC games are like $60 to $80.  Crysis 3, Borderlands Talos Principle etc PC games that are being developed for the Shield will be priced at $5 - $10. Big difference between that and PC game pricing, this is after all, why anyone likes Android gaming over gaming on anything else - cost of games

4) GRID cloud gaming, this already has some big games on it, and since Nvidia have updated the GRID servers to pump out games at 1080p and 60fps. This should be awesome as some reviewers have indicated it is.

5) Quick bootup, simple menu, quiet, low power, low price - both HW and SW. All benefits over a console or PC.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:33:09 am by vcoleiro1 »

rotaryfreak3

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 02:04:58 am »
I honestly feel that these mobile OS boxes are where the casual gaming market is heading, although I suspect most casual gamers will gravitate more toward the 100 dollar price range. If Apple ever releases an updated Apple TV with some kind of focus on gaming, watch this market explode. Most casual gamers don't want or need the horsepower of a current gen console, especially as mobile platforms get more and more capable.

skelton

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 08:21:27 am »
There will be multiple reasons people will buy this.

1) If they have or are planning on buying a 4K TV and want a good media streamer/player to go with it.
People have mentioned hooking up a PC to a TV. To get the same performance PC capable of proper 60fps 4K, that would involve way more than $200.  Plus a PC is a far more fiddly setup particularly for the average joe who just wants something to work out of the box.

2) Android TV Apps and Gaming on the TV

3) Shield gaming on the TV with PC like games.
You can just buy PC games is the other argument ive heard,  PC games are like $60 to $80.  Crysis 3, Borderlands Talos Principle etc PC games that are being developed for the Shield will be priced at $5 - $10. Big difference between that and PC game pricing, this is after all, why anyone likes Android gaming over gaming on anything else - cost of games

4) GRID cloud gaming, this already has some big games on it, and since Nvidia have updated the GRID servers to pump out games at 1080p and 60fps. This should be awesome as some reviewers have indicated it is.

5) Quick bootup, simple menu, quiet, low power, low price - both HW and SW. All benefits over a console or PC.

I get your point but everything depends on your needs or the devices that you have. For instance:

1) I already have a laptop powerful enough for 4k. Even my RK3288 can handle 4k for video resolutions with h265.
Anyhow don't expect android games with 4k quality, not even ps4 can handle that.

2)I prefer windows games over android games and apps. Or Linux ones.

3) PC games are not 60 to 80 dollars. Steam games are pretty cheap and there are offers in lot of pages to get steam keys. For instance, this is the price for crysis 3 on PC: http://crysis.com/us/crysis-3/buy

4) You may have a point there, but I have never been interested in streaming.

5) Sure, you may have a point here, but for me not enough to get another device.

So in the end, it depends on the needs and the devices that people aready have at home. Of course, this device for 199 Us dollars is a good investment probably, but at least in my case I already have other choices which are more than enough for me.
Retired

lemmywinks

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 11:03:21 am »
Yeah I seriously doubt it will be doing 4k gaming!

Like Skelton said PC games are cheap, incredibly cheap if you wait for the Steam sales. Also anybody interested in PC gaming will have a decent Steam account (and Origin, GoG etc.) full of their favourite games they have already paid for. Why would you buy a $200 console, pay for your games again and even then only be able to run a very limited selection of the games you like?

Also it probably won't boot faster than Windows 8.1, especially on an SSD. One thing I noticed when I bought a Win 8.1 tablet is that it boots faster than my old Android ones.

It's a good idea I think and they look to be making good progress with it. Personally although Android is great for so many things I have no desire to use it as a console platform. I'd be much more interested in something like a Fitlet PC if they ever come down in price - and AMD A10 and Radeon R6 in a tiny box which fixes to the back of your TV.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:13:47 am by lemmywinks »
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 11:33:00 am »
You cant compare Android game prices with PC game prices, they are worlds apart. To use an example of a game that's on a steam sale is disingenuous. Android games also go on sale, if you want to compare like for like.

For example, Borderland the pre-sequel sells on Steam for $70 , that game is also coming to the Shield console.  It's currently on sale on Steam for $35 until 3 days time , then it goes back to $70.  Android games go on sale, from there $0 - $10 price range, usually down to a $1 or free for a short period.   

I understand that if you have a PC with the games already your not likely to buy this for those games, then again your not likely the target market that comprises the many more people that don't have those PC games already or are interested in Android games etc.  OR the large amount of people who may be still in the market for a no hastles Android TV Box  and/or may want to game on it rather than fork out another $400 for a console.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:08:19 pm by vcoleiro1 »

skelton

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 11:56:07 am »
Well, Steam titles go low price quite fast, so no a big deal. Price in PC games are incredibly low from some time ago.
Mainly because there are a lot of web pages when you can buy them cheap, no need to buy officially in Steam. For instance:
https://www.g2a.com/borderlands-the-pre-sequel-steam-cd-key-global.html
Sure, android titles maybe even a bit cheaper, but don't expect the same quality for sure. And it's not very clear how many games from PC will be ported to Shield TV.

Anyhow, it all depends on people needs. I am not on the target that Nvidia planned about this device. If this device was a portable device, like a new shield portable, it would be a different story, because portability would make a great difference.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:58:27 am by skelton »
Retired

lemmywinks

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 01:08:12 pm »
Yup, Evil Within is already ?11.89, Metro 2033 and Last Light Redux are ?8.49, Borderlands Pre-Sequel is ?14.99, Borderlands 1 & 2 are ?4.99 each as are the Dead Island games. It's not like they are full price for long and they get massive price cuts throughout the year. If you miss it first time then stick it on your wish list and you'll get it cheap a couple of months down the line. I've not paid anything like full price for a PC title in years, even games like Far Cry 3 and Tomb Raider went down to ?3.49 a year after release.

If you think you'll be able to get these AAA games on the Shield console for normal Android game money then good luck with that, they'll probably be more like Square Enix titles with higher normal price tags and sparse sales.

I'm not saying it's a bad machine or a bad idea, far from it, it's just that their intended market seems small, ill-defined and already well catered for by other existing options.
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

kristianity77

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 02:23:03 pm »
I thought I'd expand more on why I think this is a decent device (and why I will be getting one)

I said over on another thread this has gone straight to the top of my "wants" list for this year. For me it just solves all the problems of having everything "in one box" and for a pretty decent price as well.

For starters, its a 4K video player, which for now, doesn't really mean an awful lot as the content isn't out there and also, I don't even own a 4K telly. But when I DO own one, this will stream anything I throw at it in 4K resolution. That's one box ticked.

I have smart TV on my current TV but to be honest, its slow, and its crap. This box, having access to the play store will sort out all my needs for Netflix, Sky Go, Internet Radio, Youtube and all other media apps, in one box and at near enough instant speed.

Next up, emulation. Currently for emulation needs its either hook my laptop up which is just a chore and a ball ache because my laptop isn't great for anything above and beyond 16 bit (even though its an i3!), fire up the Wii which annoys me because it look garbage on a HDTV or play on the PSP (no complaints here however apart from the limited power it has). This device will literally play 8 bit and 16 bit to perfection and is powerful enough to run the most sophisticated filters to get the most out of HD TVs. This thing will also fly flawlessly through PSX and should hit full speed with every title with PPSSPP and Dreamcast (when the emulators are completely up to snuff).

If the K1 can "almost" reach decent speeds with Dolphin then the X1 is even better placed to obtain playable framerates as and when the emulator improves for Android.

Then you have all the other things in one place that this will breeze through. Any android title currently and in the future will likely to be maxed out in terms of performance, and most games will be compatible with the controller also.  This isn't me saying android titles on the most part aren't shovelware, more saying that it will run anything that isn't pretty much maxxed out.

And lastly, if I see fit, it will also allow me to use this GRID thing for streaming top end PC games if I want to. I don't have an expensive PC and would likely never buy one. But to play top end games on a $200 system? That's a nice extra option to have. Granted, you would expect this streaming service to not be great with anything twitch based because of lag, but anything else should be more than serviceable and better than any option out there currently shy of owning an all singing and all dancing PC.

I have a laptop currently which is nice for all things work based and piddling about on the net and downloading whatever I see fit and I have a console (PS4) to see me through this generation of games. But for everything else I want to do, whether it be emulation, media etc, its currently for me a  mish mash of different boxes, cables and setups at the moment which is just a hassle. This is just a console, with a controller.  Connect a hard drive or SD card and an air mouse, and your done.

Granted, this won't do the dishes, it won't make me tea, but for $200, it does a hell of a lot of things all under one roof and it will do them better than anything else for the price and will be relevant for a longer period of time.  Its niche granted, but whats not to love for the price you pay?
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

­

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 04:58:14 pm »
kristianity77, no one is denying that this is an amazing device for Android. I have no doubt it will be the benchmark for the next generation of portable devices, whether it be phones or tablets.
However, this is only considering the Android scene, and that's the catch. The $200 price point is kind of interesting because it's basically the entry point for PCs - so at that price you can get ridiculously underpowered PC, but it will still trump the X1 at every point.
For more deliberation on this topic, I refer you to
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2r16qa/2015_buget_200_gaming_pc/

For example, you've mentioned Dolphin. On my 7 year old computer, I could run Dolphin very good, almost flawlessly in some games, while on Android it can run SOME games at an ALMOST playable rate. Games like Legend of Zelda are out of the question at this point, and will be for some time - let's be optimistic and say 2 years.
If you were to spend $200 every 2 years, you could take that basic configuration and upgrade it with a GPU, faster RAM and an SSD, because its CPU is sufficient. That will also enable you to watch 4K videos - because the GPU is the primary factor for that. With any TV Box, you'd have to replace it whole for another, literally dumping money and perfectly usable components. On a side note, that's why Project Ara is so much exciting, even though it will never be as powerful as a conventional configuration device.

However, this is still a bad deal, even though it still trumps the TV Box one. Economically, it's better to buy an outdated crap machine for less - even getting a second hand machine, if you aren't planning on using it for gaming. The other option is to buy a powerful (but not extreme) PC for much more, circa $800, and that will last for almost a decade of high performance.
Upgrading an outdated base isn't very wise, and so is getting a mid-end solution because it will likely fall into the low-end spectrum quite quickly. However, they are almost equivalent to getting a powerful TV Box economically, so it raises some red flags.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:06:26 pm by Made in China »

kristianity77

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 06:30:44 pm »
kristianity77, no one is denying that this is an amazing device for Android. I have no doubt it will be the benchmark for the next generation of portable devices, whether it be phones or tablets.
However, this is only considering the Android scene, and that's the catch. The $200 price point is kind of interesting because it's basically the entry point for PCs - so at that price you can get ridiculously underpowered PC, but it will still trump the X1 at every point.
For more deliberation on this topic, I refer you to
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2r16qa/2015_buget_200_gaming_pc/

For example, you've mentioned Dolphin. On my 7 year old computer, I could run Dolphin very good, almost flawlessly in some games, while on Android it can run SOME games at an ALMOST playable rate. Games like Legend of Zelda are out of the question at this point, and will be for some time - let's be optimistic and say 2 years.
If you were to spend $200 every 2 years, you could take that basic configuration and upgrade it with a GPU, faster RAM and an SSD, because its CPU is sufficient. That will also enable you to watch 4K videos - because the GPU is the primary factor for that. With any TV Box, you'd have to replace it whole for another, literally dumping money and perfectly usable components. On a side note, that's why Project Ara is so much exciting, even though it will never be as powerful as a conventional configuration device.

However, this is still a bad deal, even though it still trumps the TV Box one. Economically, it's better to buy an outdated crap machine for less - even getting a second hand machine, if you aren't planning on using it for gaming. The other option is to buy a powerful (but not extreme) PC for much more, circa $800, and that will last for almost a decade of high performance.
Upgrading an outdated base isn't very wise, and so is getting a mid-end solution because it will likely fall into the low-end spectrum quite quickly. However, they are almost equivalent to getting a powerful TV Box economically, so it raises some red flags.

When you say that its "only considering the Android scene", what exactly do you mean?  What does a $200 PC do that this wont and cost roughly 4-5X the electricity in the process? 

Don't say PC games natively because thats not what the Android device caters for so its not really a valid argument.  You cant argue that a car is no good because its not a bike can you.

Basically, this $200 box will do everything media wise and emulation wise that the equivalent PC will do connected up to a TV for a tiny fraction of the running costs (if the 5Watt - 20Watt power requirements are indeed true).  The only thing it won't do is play high end PC games natively (I dont need it to, I own a PS4 where probably 90% of the games either reside or will do anyway)

I also don't think that the specs of that PC (and particular, onboard GPU) carry anywhere near the same power as the X1 does in terms of what it can produce.  Crysis 3 on the demo may be slightly stripped down on the Shield console, but I'm willing to bet anything that it still outperforms the $200 PC on the same game.

For the option of wanting a device to store countless movies etc all the way up to 4K, play emulation all the way up to and probably including Dolphin and using countless other media apps for almost zero running costs, I'm sorry, I just dont see how a $200 PC beats it, that has about 5x the running costs to boot.

Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4