Author Topic: My modded Yinlips YDPG18A  (Read 28125 times)

furan

Re: My modded Yinlips YDPG18A
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2012, 06:50:47 pm »
Yeah I'd go with what Ashen says and just re-use the protection circuit. I do a lot of electronics stuff so I wanted to save the old battery intact.

Note that the 'big battery' (the 4250 mah one or whatever) really is a tight fit, even though it does fit. so be careful positioning it if you take this on.

Ketsueki

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2012, 01:36:28 pm »
Thanks guys

Ketsueki

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2012, 05:07:50 pm »
Hello,

I opened my Yinlips yesterday.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/6990/photommi.jpg

Do you see a physical weird thing (order of +/- wires, etc.) before I go to buy a new battery?

Thanks.

furan

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2012, 06:09:28 pm »
Hello,

I opened my Yinlips yesterday.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/6990/photommi.jpg

Do you see a physical weird thing (order of +/- wires, etc.) before I go to buy a new battery?

Thanks.
Looks fine to me. Red wire used for positive, tied to positive symbol on both sides, black wire negative, negative on both sides. Solder job to the board isn't that great but you can do one better :)

Ketsueki

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2012, 01:22:48 pm »
I didn't do that since 10 years but it should be fine :)

Thanks!

fosamax

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2012, 05:40:18 pm »
Could you please give us a review of the results you have with the battery mod ?

Is the lifetime improved ?

Does the battery charges well (i have seen elsewhere people having trouble since the battery would not charge completely) ?

Do we need to calibrate battery and how ?

Does anyone tried to do the same with a G16 and what battery to use for that purpose ?

Where should i buy one battery if i live in Europe ?

Thanks in advance.

Pballwiz

My modded Yinlips YDPG18A
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2012, 06:57:59 pm »
I did the battery mod last week.
I used this battery per Furan's suggestion: http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-ioncell37v3200mah605585-2c1184wh64arate.aspx

Installation was pretty straight forward.
I reused the circuit protection board from the original battery. Took about 30 minutes. Requires some minor soldering skills.

It charges just fine. No need for any sort of calibration. I would say it increased battery life from 2 hours(stock battery) to roughly 6 hours.
To get the most out of your battery I would recommend turning off Wi-fi while you're playing games. Saves battery and no annoying "chirps" from wifi circuit.

I am going to attempt the screen brightness mod sometime this week. I'm curious to see how this will affect battery life. I know a couple other people here have done it but I haven't heard any feedback on impact to battery life. I will report back when I have some data.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:07:21 pm by Pballwiz »

kronix2003

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2012, 04:19:47 am »
hi

do i need a special charger for the 4200 battery? im charging with my default 5v 2a yinlips charger, the battery gets 35% charge then it starts to discharge.. i used the protection circuit from batteryspace. i have been reading that i need a 5v 4a charger  is this true?  thanks!

wrzwicky

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2012, 03:42:44 am »
I just had to pop my 18a open to fix the power switch, so I thought I'd post a few technical updates to Ashen's original comments.

• That beautiful aluminum trim is actually just more plastic.
  • A/B/X/OK buttons can be easily rearranged to match the letters they report to the system.  To wit: X on top, B bottom, OK left, A right. Arrows can be rearranged too, but it always looks the same.
  • There is nothing behind the hole where the case says "MIC".  The MIC is actually behind the solid plastic next to the HDMI, so I drilled a hole for it before re-assembly.
  • The battery was firmly taped to the motherboard; mine didn't flop around like it did for Ashen.
  • I saw some solder on the HDMI support posts, though there wasn't much.
  • This model does have stereo speakers.  It always sounds mono when I listen, but there are two speakers behind the left and right grilles on the back.  The ring of holes in the center of the back just vents the battery, for whatever that's worth.
  • furan managed to upgrade the flash to 64GB, after some really impressive hacking.
  • RAM is 4 chips of Hynix H5TQ1G83TFR-H9C, 128Mbit x 8, DDR3-1333 9-9-9.  That's 5.3 GB/sec for a handheld!

Ashen (OP)

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2012, 07:11:38 pm »
You can rearrange the buttons, but if you look closely they are all of a different height, so if you do rearrange them they will not have the same feel (may feel off balanced). That's why I did it the way I did. ;)

apeine

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 01:39:37 am »
I bought the battery that Furan presented as a suitable substitute for the original one. Today I opened my G18A and even though it is larger, it still fits quite well inside (got to move it a little bit to find a good fit).
The replacement battery has two mettalic tabs (one of them fell off :S). The assembled battery has two wires, one red, one black. Can I just snip the wire close to the battery, and solder it to the new one? Which tab goes to which wire? Is it better to cut the excess lead from the battery, to prevent shorting? I know how to assemble and solder, but I need more information.
Can I use the original charger, or should I look for a new one?

Ashen (OP)

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2012, 10:23:23 pm »
The tabs of the old battery are attached to the protection module, you'll need to remove the protection board from the old battery and solder it to the new ones tabs exactly like it was soldered to the original battery. If one of the tabs of the new battery broke but there is still enough there to solder to, you are fine.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE NEW BATTERY WITHOUT THE PROTECTION MODULE INSTALLED

Using the stock Yinlips charger should be fine. You may have to "recalibrate" the battery though. After you've got everything all hooked up, just run it till it dies then charge it to full.

apeine

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 02:54:08 am »
Thanks, Ashen. I thought the protection circuit was on the mainboard. Will do it over the weekend.

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 02:36:28 am »
Hi people, i want to add a secondary battery to my jxd s602 putting the two of them together in parallel. I already did it with my old dingoo and there was no problem. These android handhelds are the same way? Cause the dingoo's battery didn't had this electronic board at the battery.

apeine

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 12:53:45 am »
Well, I switched the battery yesterday, and even though the tab was broken, there was enough of it to solder it to the protection board, and the longer one reached the proper place. After using all the battery (took a few hours running a graphic demo to empty it). After that I left it overnight recharging, and used up to 4-5 hours so far (mixed wifi and PS emulation, and both are battery hogs) and there still is 40% left. Sweet!

rayban

• A123RC Battery Pack
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 05:36:40 am »
BTW, I think I've fixed the backlight. I have a solution that makes it twice as bright. It'll eat more battery, but it looks a lot better.
Use Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. They are more expensive but the benefits more than make up for the difference in price - http://www.a123rc.com/category-66-b0-A123RC+ElementCell.html
Use Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. They are more expensive but the benefits more than make up for the difference in price - A123RC Batteries

Post a new topic