Author Topic: Ipega PG-9501 Clamshell Handheld  (Read 19282 times)

illuminerdi

Re: Ipega PG-9501 Clamshell Handheld
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 03:34:37 pm »
Screen looks pretty bad, and it's running an RK3188 which is really starting to show its age.

I can't say I find this device very appealing.  I'm not opposed to the Shield-clone form factor (though the divot that the controls rest in looks deep and potentially uncomfortable), but unless the screen is IPS it's a non-start for me.  I still don't get why companies will release portable game devices with screens that have terrible viewing angles...

I've owned about 5 portable Android game players and the only one that I used/use for extended periods of time is my JXD7800, because the screen is IPS.  Every other one drives me nuts with how poor its color is...

Nikojiro

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 03:57:05 pm »
@t-link

So have you had time to test it a bit? Emulation, Android games? Is t any good?

Doggydogg

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 07:14:43 pm »

g5a is android 4.4.4, not android 4.2. It's been updated by me
I have a question about the but I will ask in the appropriate section than you skelton for your roms ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:18:30 pm by Doggydogg »
Always piss downwind :)

Hagane023

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 11:32:27 am »
I can't wait for mine to arrive, should be end of next week. Hoping the dpad is ok, as that was really the only fault with the g5a (My g5 had 4.4.2 as stock when it arrived). If I have time i'll compare to g5 and jxd s5800 and post findings, with vids and pics.

johannes

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 12:40:11 pm »

Device looks nice to me, but I think doesn't provide very good support. If this device would have a skelton rom in it, I would take the risk to get one, but I don't know if this will happen because Skelton is working for GPD, isn't it?

skelton

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 02:28:09 pm »

Device looks nice to me, but I think doesn't provide very good support. If this device would have a skelton rom in it, I would take the risk to get one, but I don't know if this will happen because Skelton is working for GPD, isn't it?

I don't work for any company. GPD is the only one at the moment providing sample device and source code, that's why I collaborate with them. So I don't make rom for ipega unless I can get a device and source code (at least the frist thing)

Anyhow, I am not making more ROMS at the moment. I don't know in the future, but at the moment I am not too interested in Android stuff.
Retired

BAFelton

• Open Consoles
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 07:53:47 pm »
An unboxing for those interested : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCxdHTq6_GQ

Hagane023

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 12:00:15 am »
Thanks for the video, could you tell me about the dpad, is it good for street fighter? also what is it clocking at? 1.4 Or like most sites say 1.6gzh.

Nikojiro

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2015, 04:03:53 pm »
Well I finally ordered mine, as it was so dirt cheap on AliExpress... I'm planning to turn it into a dedicated emulation device with RetroArch + Gamesome.

Hope it ships before the chinese New Year vacation begins!

Hagane023

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 08:48:50 am »
Device is clocked at 1.61 GHz and has 2gb ram. Stock launcher is an updated version of the old yinlips game centre(son not kawaks or happy chick). Dpad is brilliant and not as uncomfortable as you may think. I'll post again later due to work. OE thing I need to mention is the issue mapping hardware buttons in fpse and Epsxe. You have to go into the options on fpse and enable multiple input devices and on Epsxe you need to enable ipega hid in the other controller options(don't need Bluetooth on). Oh and device is not rooted as stock. But so far so very good. Everything plays very well emulator wise.

kiks33

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 12:46:57 pm »
What about the emulation n64, PS1, PSP? The device system is efficient? Is it better now than a GPD G5A? I want to buy it but i hesitate with the GPD G5A. Help me please!!

skelton

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 12:52:00 pm »
What about the emulation n64, PS1, PSP? The device system is efficient? Is it better now than a GPD G5A? I want to buy it but i hesitate with the GPD G5A. Help me please!!

Both use RK3188 so they should perform similar.
Retired

Hagane023

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 03:51:09 pm »
CPU-Z Reads it as a RK3066 with 4 cores ( I originally thought the 3066 was dual core). I have found that it performs a little better than stock g5a but this is probably due to being clocked at 1.61ghz has same mali 400. However has a few tiny bugs, but overall is now my android emulator of choice (Hooray no more is that a psvita!!!)

Positives

Excellent emulation, good screen and headphone support. Bluetooth very good. No many if any unnecessary apps from stock. System runs at 1.61 GHz and has 2gb ram confirmed with cpu-z.
Dpad is excellent no hardware mod required. Other emulators (not stock) run very well (Stock emu is game hub and is ok). Analogs are responsive easy to use. Mame4all 1.39 is very good, ps1 emulation with fpse and epsxe is very good, soul calibur plays well as does neon shadow. Sound through headphones is very good, speakers is ok, certainly better than s5800 and other JXD's

Device feels good and battery lasts ages (on first few charges battery lasted for 2hours on 41%) on average giving me around 5-6 hours with WiFi on with gaming from nes - ps1. Mupen64 Alpha18 plays very well on it however the new alpha builds are updating and improving mupen much better than the play version(2.4.4). I cannot compare this on a g5a as I no longer possess one to compare. Check the paulscode forum for more details on mupen64

It streams very well to my tvstick (MK808B PLUS). Range of WIFI is pretty good (Slightly better than JXD S5800)

Negatives

Stock keymapper. Issue is to bring up the icon you shave to swipe vertically at the top or bottom of the screen and on some apps this does not bring up your key mapper icon. If you change the display option in settings it will always revert back to full screen. The solution is to hold the home button down and select the option that says display status bar) that way however this doesn't happen with a different launcher if the option is changed in settings-display-full screen mode(Select smart).

Stock emulators poor and old ppsspp version that needs root to uninstall. (NB. I use gold version and the PPSSPP emulation is very good on that as it is the latest version) If you would like me to try a particular game let me know.
No physical back button, to go back you have to hold home down then touchscreen back or swipe up if you have the correct option set on another launcher(not stock as it changes the settings back to default). Not a major issue but can get annoying.

Also i had an issue with widgets but this has disappeared since I installed apex launcher and it force closed once, but hasn't since (Nearly a week later).

Conclusion
I do really love it, by far the best android handheld I've had and the bugs are very few and far between(Not enough to concern yourself but I have to mention them regardless) I would recommend this device. I am still looking to post comparison videos soon just waiting for my new phone.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:04:01 pm by Hagane023 »

Jonesey

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 09:39:37 pm »
Do most android games detect the gamepad without needing to use the key mapper?

Melquiades

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 09:39:15 am »
A quick question about the Teclast tablets. I have the 9.7" one, X98 and I am very satisfied so far. The thing is that I am looking for a bluetooth keyboard that works well, and does not take much room. Ideally I would like one that closes with the tablet and serves as a screen protector, but most of them work with the smart magnets that the X98 does not have.

Has anybody here found a solution to this? There are plenty of options but I want to avoid crappy Chinese fake leather keyboard-cases. I am considering this Logitech, it cannot be packed with the tablet but it comes with its own case that can be used as a tablet holder:

http://www.logitech.com/no-no/product/tablet-keyboard-ipad?crid=1240

But I find it too expensive... but the holder is luring me with its possibities. Vertical Shoot Em ups mainly... :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:42:08 am by Melquiades »

skelton

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 10:00:26 am »
A quick question about the Teclast tablets. I have the 9.7" one, X98 and I am very satisfied so far. The thing is that I am looking for a bluetooth keyboard that works well, and does not take much room. Ideally I would like one that closes with the tablet and serves as a screen protector, but most of them work with the smart magnets that the X98 does not have.

Has anybody here found a solution to this? There are plenty of options but I want to avoid crappy Chinese fake leather keyboard-cases. I am considering this Logitech, it cannot be packed with the tablet but it comes with its own case that can be used as a tablet holder:

http://www.logitech.com/no-no/product/tablet-keyboard-ipad?crid=1240

But I find it too expensive... but the holder is luring me with its possibities. Vertical Shoot Em ups mainly... :D

Wrong thread I guess....
Retired

TheUltimateMan

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2015, 10:38:35 pm »
Does anyone know where I can purchase the Ipega 9501...?

Everywhere I've looked the device is sold out and/or discontinued.

Hagane023

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2015, 01:00:00 am »
Been struggling too, tvc mall said they had some but 1 week after ordering they sent me an email saying that it was no longer in production so gave me a refund, aliexpress had a seller selling them for $129.99 with free shipping. However my seller did not honour their warranty so now I have to use Bluetooth headphones as it will not use headphones through the Jack. Willgoo sold out, but eBay were selling an identical unbranded 9501http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291434416144&alt=web  But I love this device, however my headphone issue has just made me want the gpd xd. I'd probably sell mine if the xd was out, but you know the fault it has. Also just a note the battery is 2 2600mah batteries based in the handle grips.Hope this helps