Author Topic: ipega 9023 discussion: UPDATE MY FULL REVIEW, Android, MFI Ios, Gamestreming vid  (Read 88328 times)

ruffnutts

Here is mine Teco's Hudl 2 with ipega 9023

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37e54zvwwbube5a/IMG_20150115_193819450%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0

Wonder if theres a way to mirror the shield controls and idea's anyone ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:18:52 pm by ruffnutts »

pdog128

I'm at my wit's end, I'm hoping you guys can help.

So I got the iPega PG-9023 in today and decided to test it out on my laptop before my tablet got here. I had a feeling I was going to run into problems, and I have.

I can connect it to my PC without problem. I boot up a controller compatible game in Stream and immediately have problems. It seems to recognize some buttons, but they're not mapped correctly and not all are recognized.

So I go into Control Panel and open up the game controller settings. I test out all the buttons and they seem to be registering correctly.

I then boot into Steam Big Picture Mode and configure the controller through its settings. Again, all the buttons seems to be registering correctly. All the button presses are recognized, I map the buttons, and I save the settings. I boot up the game and it's the exact same problem as before: not all button presses are recognized, and they're still not mapped correctly. I try another game and the controller is not recognized at all.

I look around online and download x360ce. I map the buttons (all are recognized) and exit. I boot up the game . . . and the same problem.

It's like the game doesn't realize that I've changed the controller settings in Steam. This is driving me crazy, because this was the only controller I could find that would work in the setup I wanted.

Any ideas?

lemmywinks

I'm having the same problems in some games now, also in x360ce the axis mapping seems to screw up by itself sometimes giving diagonals and inverted presses.

It works great on games that do support it though, would be ace if there was something to just remap it to XBox 360 inputs without any hassle.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

rotaryfreak3

Were you guys ever able to fix the issues you were having with Windows devices?

lemmywinks

Not really tried any further tbh, not had spare time to play games much.

Out of the games I tried some natively, some work with x360ce and some don't work with either. There's probably some workaround for it, x360ce was rock solid when I first tried it but seems to bug out recently.

There's not many games I want to use it for on a tablet (most of them are mouse/keyboard) but I was happy to get GRID and Burnout Paradise working as racing games are all I want it for really. Superfrog also works!
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

rotaryfreak3

Ok thanks. Still trying to decide whether to pair this controller with an Android or Windows tablet, as most of the games I would play would use a controller(mostly emulation).

cybermat

Hello,
i'm going to buy Ipega 9023, as per what i understood this is the only product (for its genre) that support 10 inches tablet? Isn't ?

So either buy this one or buy this one :D

Furthermore, deadzone issue will be solved by Ipega ? Are they aware about it ?

Scoobysnaxx

I recently purchased an Ipega 9023. When unplugged, it doesn't consistently power up, or stay powered up. E.G. If I hold the home button/X and tilt the device "just right", it powers on. Removing it from that position turns it off.

The controller works 100% perfectly when plugged in, so I am thinking this might be a bad battery connection. I don't want to play upside down at a 45 degree angle  ::), so I have a triangle screwdriver on order.

Has anyone else had this problem?

nielo360 (OP)

I recently purchased an Ipega 9023. When unplugged, it doesn't consistently power up, or stay powered up. E.G. If I hold the home button/X and tilt the device "just right", it powers on. Removing it from that position turns it off.

The controller works 100% perfectly when plugged in, so I am thinking this might be a bad battery connection. I don't want to play upside down at a 45 degree angle  ::), so I have a triangle screwdriver on order.

Has anyone else had this problem?

your unit is defective sadly, youd probably have to buy a new one or ask somebody with internal knowlege on how to fix it.

nielo360 (OP)

Hello,
i'm going to buy Ipega 9023, as per what i understood this is the only product (for its genre) that support 10 inches tablet? Isn't ?

So either buy this one or buy this one :D

Furthermore, deadzone issue will be solved by Ipega ? Are they aware about it ?

DeenoX has a review of the ipega 9023 ( Red versions 2) i think maybe going through that one is more ideal, perhaps it doesnt have the deadzone issue. Yes, its  the only one that supports 10.1 devices.

nphage

Hello Everyone,
I just received an ipega 9023 red version and I can't seem to get it to work. I charged it for a while and the Charge light turned off. After that I tried using it with my Windows tablet. I can't seem to get it to enter pairing mode. Most of the time I don't even think it is on. Off the charger I can't get either the Search or Charge lights to light up. On the charger sometimes the Charge light is lit and a few times I got the Search light lit, but not consistently. Not once could I actually get it to pair with the tablet. You turn it on by holding down the Home button and pair it by holding X and pressing Home, right? Is there anything I am missing or does it sound like its defective? Thanks.

nielo360 (OP)

Hello Everyone,
I just received an ipega 9023 red version and I can't seem to get it to work. I charged it for a while and the Charge light turned off. After that I tried using it with my Windows tablet. I can't seem to get it to enter pairing mode. Most of the time I don't even think it is on. Off the charger I can't get either the Search or Charge lights to light up. On the charger sometimes the Charge light is lit and a few times I got the Search light lit, but not consistently. Not once could I actually get it to pair with the tablet. You turn it on by holding down the Home button and pair it by holding X and pressing Home, right? Is there anything I am missing or does it sound like its defective? Thanks.

Holding home + x  and letting go once the search light starts blinking should do it. You could try pairing it to another device or charging it via a computer USB/wall socket cable. If it still doesnt blink and search then your item is defective/battery is shot out.

nphage

Ok thanks. It is definitely defective then. I have tried charging it with three different cables and still the only time I can get the Search light to light up is when it is plugged in. And even then only when the charge light is also lit up. When it does light up it only flashes a few times and then shuts off. I will contact the seller and try to get a replacement.

rotaryfreak3

I think this might be my new frontrunner tablet to pair with this controller:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TSUGXKE?keywords=fire%20tablet&qid=1445739123&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Amazon Fire tablet for 50 bucks means, including the cost of the controller, you can have portable emulation at least up to the PS1 era for under 100 bucks. Quality seems pretty good too, certainly better than most of the crap in this price range.

mobyd

keep in mind for android tablet to use the analog sticks it needs to be a rooted tablet. I could not find any way to make it work otherwise. I use tincore and doopad(don't recall exact name). The android software that comes with the 9023 would never work for me and is a pain to start up. Maybe someone else knows how but my experience is tablet must be rooted and use third party app like tincore.

Deen0X

keep in mind for android tablet to use the analog sticks it needs to be a rooted tablet. I could not find any way to make it work otherwise. I use tincore and doopad(don't recall exact name). The android software that comes with the 9023 would never work for me and is a pain to start up. Maybe someone else knows how but my experience is tablet must be rooted and use third party app like tincore.

sorry, but i don?t understand what you mean.
i used ipega 9023 on android tablet without problem

take note that some games may not recognize the controller, because are not compatible, then you need to configure another kind of gamepad (moga, samsung, etc) using third party app.

mobyd

sorry, but i don?t understand what you mean.
i used ipega 9023 on android tablet without problem

take note that some games may not recognize the controller, because are not compatible, then you need to configure another kind of gamepad (moga, samsung, etc) using third party app.

You are right. I should have said to remap the controls  for games that don't natively support gamepads you need to be rooted. I could not get analogs to work without using third party app. and I could not find a third party app that would work without being rooted. 

I use Tincore and Doo gamepad apps. What other third part apps have you found to work with 9023?

Deen0X

by parts.

speaking on android
games with native controller support will bring to you the controller support that they want to bring. If a game only work with dpad and not with analog, is how the game is programmed.

if there is a game with specific gamepad brand support, then you must play with these specific brand support (i know, this sucks on android)

and if there games without gamepad support, then you cannot "add gamepad support" with a third party app.

after undertanding this, then you can think on what you can do for using your gamepad.

for the first case. if you want to remap a controller on a game that don?t have remapping functions, then you need a third part app such GameKeyboard, tincore, etc, for create a new "gamepad controller" driver (an emulated gamepad) that allow to remap, on the driver itself (on the emulated gamepad) the controls as you want.
For this, for creating a gamepad controller driver, you must root your device.

there are some alternatives that don?t need root your device, but most of them are ways to "fake" some controls on the system (hook buttons pressings and trying to send another buttons, etc), and most of time these mechanism is not fully working. for this reason non rooting methods don?t have success on providing good gamepad support.

for the second case, for games with specific gamepad model/brand support, you can use few programs for trying to "emulate" a more "popular" gamepad and, with some lucky, you get working your game. Apps such MCHelper try to emulate a Moga controller, that is a very common gamepad supported on games, but not always get success on the emulation.
This kind of apps need to be rooted too the device, because change some IDs and behaviors on the controller driver for trying to do the emulation.

finally, there is the last kind of games, those without controller support. Most of these games have touch controls.
Keymappers work doing emulated "touches" on the screen for providing support to physical controls. For this task, there are two main ways to generate this "emulation":
mouse emulation. This kind, as i understand, don?t need to be rooted the device, but is a very very limited way to generating touch emulation on the screen. This method don?t allow to do multitouch emulation, and most of the case may generate unexpected results (most of them when trying to generate two simultaneous emulated touches, when pressing two or more controls at the same time)
screen touch emulation. This method implies generating a screen driver for generating touches and this need to root the device

summarizing: you can use your iPega 9023 with these games that support it navitevly, or emulators that let to you to remap controls, but if you don?t root your device then you will be so limited on what you can do with this (or any other) gamepad.

rotaryfreak3

I would really only be using emulators, so it should work just fine for me without rooting. Although I might root it anyways to improve the experience.

rotaryfreak3

FYI, the Kindle Fire 7 is on sale this weekend for 35 dollars.