Author Topic: GPD Q88+, GPD G58 or JXD S5110B?  (Read 4531 times)

Melquiades (OP)

GPD Q88+, GPD G58 or JXD S5110B?
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:05:11 pm »
It would seem a bit strange to ask this at this stage but I have already a lot of android consoles and I want something to replace my old S5110. And I have a lot of questions in my head:
- Fighting games are my thing so I think G58 may not be my thing since it has a two piece DPAD and I know from my experiences with the S5110 that that is not good enough.
- Also, I am disappointed with my recently acquired G7, only because of its criminal DPAD, so I would like to stay away from anything by GPD. But it is the DPAD that good, really on par with saturn?
- The S5110B seems a strong contender to me, even at this stage. But can it run at decent speed Drastic? Reicast? PPSSPP? There are not a lot of videos in youtube, and the ones have very low quality.

I guess the best would be a single piece G58 but it seems this is not going to happen anytime soon. Lets hope they release a G58 with the Saturn-like controller later in the year.

skelton

Re: GPD Q88+, GPD G58 or JXD S5110B?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:48:59 pm »
I would forget about 5110B for several reasons. Most units have NAND memory issues, battery time is a joke and performance wise is worse than g58. The DPAD of g58 is pretty similar to the one you have in your monocore 5110, so you can get an idea. Also, JXD abandonned support for it, and me too XD.

You can also take a look to the iPEGA 9500, or wait to the new devices that are coming soon. Seems 5 inch devices are being forgotten by manufacturers in benfit of tablet consoles, so there is no much to choose

The g7 DPAD can be modded just opening device and putting some thin paper inside it. I did it in mine and play fighting games well with it.

q88 dpad is very good, but seems there is no stock. My guess is that GPD will release q88+ with RK3288 soon, but it's just a guess.

About performance, Drastic, reicast  and PPSSPP runs worse in 5110B than in RK3188.
Retired

2blackbar

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:07:38 pm »
I have GPD q88+ and i wouild recommend it to everyone, its great, sony psp was more problematic for me than gpd, i have no real issues with it, both analogs work well in epsxe, dpad is very good.HDMI works without any lags/slowdowns.

Melquiades (OP)

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:16:12 am »
Thanks for the answers, I will forget about the S5110B then. A pity the two pieces dpad of the G58, I really can't understand it.

I will try to mod the G7 tonight. Skelton, what would you recommend?  The cardboard  mod or looseing the screws a little? I am concerned with broking anything and with the mechanical wear.

Anyway, I will probably buy a Q88+ as soon as it is available at Willgoo.

skelton

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:23:13 am »
Thanks for the answers, I will forget about the S5110B then. A pity the two pieces dpad of the G58, I really can't understand it.

I will try to mod the G7 tonight. Skelton, what would you recommend?  The cardboard  mod or looseing the screws a little? I am concerned with broking anything and with the mechanical wear.

Anyway, I will probably buy a Q88+ as soon as it is available at Willgoo.

I just added the cardboard in it and it is fine for me. Try to see if you can improve it.

Here's another mod you can try:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-devices/gpd-g7-easy-d-pad-fix/
Retired

illuminerdi

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 03:21:37 pm »
I agree about avoiding the S5110b for what you need.  The 5110b's dpad is VERY inaccurate and tends to slide around, I had to mod mine to make it work accurately, and the battery life sucks unless you put in a new battery, wifi usually is terrible, it's dual core, and the screen is pretty poor.

Overall the S5110b is a lot of hassle for a dated system that you'll spend a lot of time and money modding to make it acceptable.

I have a G7 and I modded the dpad by removing it from the shell entirely and sanding down the "top" of each of the 4 cardinal directions.  I did not like how the ends of the dpad stuck up so far and were "sharp" feeling, especially when sliding between diagonals or doing hadouken-style moves.

If you want to try a similar mod here's what you do: 

Disassemble the device and remove the plastic dpad. 

Get some sandpaper that is around 80 or 100 grit, lay it flat on a table. 

Place the dpad piece upside down on the sandpaper (so that the part your thumb touches is what is being sanded) and sand it down while keeping the sandpaper stationary.

This should equally sand down all four directions at once to keep them the same height, just remember to take it slow and apply equal pressure to the dpad, don't press down on one part as you sand, or you'll end up wearing one direction down more than others and you'll have to compensate.  Stop every once in a while to check your work and make sure it's progressing well, and check if you think it feels good or needs more sanding.

Once you've sanded it down to an adequate height, you can optionally get some fine grit (~600 I think is what I used) and sand it some more. This will not remove almost any plastic, but will "polish" the parts you sanded to make them smoother and more fine under your thumb.  You can even finish with some 1000 or 1500 grit after this to make your polish even more smooth, but you're getting pretty nitpicky at that point.

I found that removing these sharp upward curves at the edges of the dpad made it TONS more comfortable to use, I cannot fathom who at GPD actually thought those sharp upward points were a good idea for using longer than even 10 minutes at a time...I'm convinced that nobody actually tests these devices for comfort prior to shipment if my experience with them is any indication.  Or maybe Chinese hands find these comfortable while my long american fingers don't...I'm not trying to be rude, I just cannot imagine anyone finding this dpad comfortable or usable for something like a fighting game, which is a MAJOR sector of the retro-game space (and ironically enough, is always in the demo videos that companies like GPD send out).

I can't speak about the cardboard mod that skelton mentions in his post - on my G7 I tried putting plastic under the dpad to improve it's precision, but it didn't seem to make much improvement, though I used pretty thin plastic, so maybe thicker would work better.  My biggest problem with the dpad was its precision - I would often get left/right presses on the dpad when attempting to just press straight down, so my assumption was that a thick backing behind the dpad would make this problem WORSE, not better.  Maybe I should try it just to be sure.

My reference game(s) to test dpad/buttons with?  Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, or 3.  If a dpad can stand up to the precise demands of the most hardcore action game I know, it's worth using.  The G7 did not pass this test, even after my current mods :(  But it did get a lot better vs the stock dpad, which was painful after even 5 minutes of hardcore ninja action.

illuminerdi

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 03:24:31 pm »
One thing about my dpad-sanding mod to note: it's irreverisble, so if you mess it up you've ruined your dpad.  And good luck finding a replacement.  I asked GPD if they could send me a replacement, and they said they'd send me 3 dpads for free, but they had to charge me $25 for DHL freight shipping, as that was the only option!  Seriously? Someone can't just stuff them in an envelope and send them HK Post for $5?

I'm still working with them to see if there are other options, but I haven't found someplace that sells replacements, and I haven't found a dpad that you can drop in to replace the existing one, so BE WARNED.

Maybe Willgoo has some replacements from defective or broken units that they could sell me...

Melquiades (OP)

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 09:37:53 am »
Sorry to refloat an old post, but I managed to sell my GPD G7 and my good ol' S5110.

I am waiting for a S7800B to arrive, but maybe I would like to get a 5" also. From some reviews it seems that the DPAD of the G5 is not as bad as the on in the G7, but to my eyes, they look identical. I would probably  consider buying one, as the G7, other than the DPAD is an excellent device.

Also, I have another question about the G5, does it allow for USB charging?

Thanks in advance  ;)

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 02:10:04 pm »
I am waiting for a S7800B to arrive, but maybe I would like to get a 5" also. From some reviews it seems that the DPAD of the G5 is not as bad as the on in the G7, but to my eyes, they look identical. I would probably  consider buying one, as the G7, other than the DPAD is an excellent device.
For me they're both equal in terms of ergonomics.
Also, I have another question about the G5, does it allow for USB charging?
As far as I remember, yes.

Melquiades (OP)

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 04:25:35 pm »
Well, it is obvious they are quite the same in terms of Ergonomics, the G5A being a scaled down G7. I am just interested in the DPAD, I saw some people doing all kind of street fighter supers with the G5A.  Also the G5A reviews are not as critical with the PAD as the reviews of the G7.

I can tell that with the G7 DPAD playing fighting games was almost impossible, hell, even going in diagonal in shoot em ups was difficult.

This made me ditch my G7, and I don't want to stumble two times against the same stone...

Thanks in advance for the clarification :)

skelton

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 04:41:43 pm »
My DPAD in g5a is perfect, but some people have reported problems, so perhaps it's a matter of luck. Best dpad is q88 one anyway.

If you have doubts abiut dpad, take a look to ipega device, that seems a pretty common nes style dpad.
Retired

Melquiades (OP)

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 05:11:07 pm »
Ok, thanks Skelton and Drem. I will wait some time to see if they restock Q88+, if not, maybe I will order a G5A, fingers crossed that the DPAD is free from the same issues... With that design and allowing USB charging it may be the perfect 5" if the DPAD allows to do things like Blanka's supers.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic