Author Topic: Confused about what retro android game device to buy  (Read 440 times)

NostalgicFreak (OP)

Confused about what retro android game device to buy
« on: May 04, 2017, 12:59:55 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm from Australia, but I'm hoping to order something online if I can't find anything here,

I have heard about so many good retro game handhelds like the GPD,JXD,Nvidia Shield,Ipega,GameTab.

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with any of these and could recommend a good handheld that had snes,n64,Saturn,dreamcast,ps1, ps2,amiga,sega cd, sega mega drive, genesis, nes games. I have also heard about the dolphin emulator for GameCube and wii games and seen it work on YouTube on a nvidia shield which looked cool,

I am trying to find something that will accept two controllers for offline multiplayer and connect via hdmi to a pal tv?,
With good responsive rate and graphic/sound.

Sorry about this question, I really appreciate any help you can give,
Thanks 😀
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 01:01:50 pm by NostalgicFreak »

skelton

Re: Confused about what retro android game device to buy
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 01:05:28 pm »
Forget about ps2, gamecube is only playable on shield TV, but not in a portable device. A Samsung Galaxy s8 is needed for gc.
For the rest of systems a gpd xd is my favourite ir a shield tablet and a external controller like ipega 9023, but is much bigger and not Too portable. A shield tablet doesn't hanbdle gc either, Saturn is the most It can handle and not fullspeed in all games. The same for gpd xd.
Retired

dreamesper

• Dreamesper
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 01:13:22 pm »
gpd xd!

gamecubetry

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 02:50:58 pm »
I agree with Skelton forget about PS2 only a powerful pc or a shield can move it

My recomendation is not usual...is what i finally did myself to emulate all the games

There is no perfect android device..yet

I have an Gpd xd is good for all that is PS1 or below and for android games

For wii games the best is a softmoded Wii,the same for gamecube...you cant emulate a wii properly and it has backward compatibility with gamecube..wii old consoles are cheap

And if you are a rom colector like myself buy a raspberry pi for the old games...you can play them with imitations of the old controlers or if you are really good with computers you can play them with the original controller

I also have two JXD 7800 really impressive screen but the rest is crap,nvidia consoles are too expensive for a single device ipega gametab are worse than JXD
Wii homebrew
PS3
Jxd s7800

LordDavon

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 05:38:24 pm »
Forget about ps2, gamecube is only playable on shield TV, but not in a portable device.

Not a reasonably priced one.  Dolphin runs on the Pixel C (also uses the X1).  You'd need to get an iPega PG-9023, since there are no integrated gaming controls.  It is also a large device.  My Pixel C was about $500 when I got it though.  Not a reasonable gaming device, by any means.

If he did consider this route, I'd skip going Android and recommend something like the Cube Mix Plus running Windows 10.  I've seen it as low as just over $300, it has the M3-7Y30 CPU, and 128GB SSD.  This is without keyboard or stylus.  I have the Cube i7 Stylus and the iPega works with it (albeit completely stretched open), and the Mix Plus is just the latest version.  With a 10.6" screen, it makes for a very large gaming device.  I use my Cube i7 Stylus to game and it's fine for me, but many do not want a screen that big.

There are also some phones about $300 with high end chips too.  These would also need to be paired with a controller though.  LeEcho LePro 3 comes to mind, and has a Snapdragon 821.

Honestly, if looking for a default gaming device for emulators, I can only think of the GPD XD as a recommendation.  Mine is still going strong.  Not the greatest for Android gaming though.  Maybe the GPD XD2 will allow for higher end emulators to run, as well as Android games.  The GPD-Win is just a bit too expensive for what you get, in my opinion -- I sold mine.  The GPD-Win2 should have a much better CPU though, so keep an eye on that one.  It will be a bit more expensive, but probably worth it.  Plus, GPD shouldn't make the same mistakes with quality control.

Post a new topic