Author Topic: Best 7/8 inch tablet tablet  (Read 15176 times)

Monkeybits

Re: Best 7/8 inch tablet tablet
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 06:31:21 pm »
Nvidia Shield Tablet

lemmywinks

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 07:14:52 pm »
Just tried Project 64 with Donkey Kong and Paper Mario, full screen (set to 1280 x 800) with all graphical settings like anisotropic filtering, anti-aliasing on max with 2xSal textures, triple buffer vsync and filters all on.

Only played both briefly but DK seems to run perfectly and Paper Mario is full speed with the odd graphical glitch in the first town section (flickering texture on the wall), not tried Mupen yet as winmupen is being a bit funny.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

lemmywinks

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 08:24:21 pm »
Also tried Skyrim which is too slow at native resolution, it also has terrible bluetooth lag with my keyboard. Couldn't get any intermediate 16:10 resolutions to work but managed to get half native resolution (640x400) working with good frame rates, although it doesn't look as nice as Skyrim should.

There's videos online of it working with this spec tablet though and looking decent so there's probably ways you can tweak it if desired but out of the box at a suitable resolution it isn't worth playing IMO.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

Super_L (OP)

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 11:35:28 pm »
That's.... actually really good news. Donkey Kong 64 is just about unplayable on the Android emulators because of clipping, and Paper Mario suffers severe glitches and frequent crashes.

At the moment, I'm torn between the Tegra note, and a Windows tab. Besides the potential incompatibility withe the iPega, the only other issue is the touchscreen, which I've seen mentioned before. Broglia's emulators will let you use the touchscreen to emulate the NES Zapper (for Duck Hunt) and the SNES Mouse (for Mario Paint), among other things. Would those be out of the question with a Windows tablet?

lemmywinks

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 08:35:30 am »
Do you have a Windows PC to test the Ipega with? I would be interested in seeing if it works too. Have no idea about Duck Hunt sorry, been many many years since I emulated NES on a PC! Mind you I actually did have a touchscreen Windows 95 tablet back then.....
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

monstercameron

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 01:37:18 pm »
represent the dell venue 8 pro with 2GB ram!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXRbaIoYR3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6nM_TqwyTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Du3YiiQLww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_zbdB0KQ2A
https://www.youtube.com/user/monstercameron/videos

just here wondering when a chinese company will make a gamepad with windows and an atom or better yet an amd mullins apu!

jamesensor

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 02:47:16 pm »
Those tablets are x86/x64 architecture??  :o

I thought those windows 8 tablets, being ARM, could not run normal exe's.
PSP 3000 | PSP Go | Ps 2 | Xbox Original | Ireadygo Much i5 | Aurora II | Pipo w2f | Tonsmart Vega S-89h | Lenovo K3 Note | Tronsmart Draco H3 | Raspberry Pi 2

skelton

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 02:59:18 pm »
They are not ARM. Most com with an Intel Atom x86 processor
Retired

jamesensor

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 03:04:13 pm »
Just confirming it, to be sure.

They must cost a lot..
PSP 3000 | PSP Go | Ps 2 | Xbox Original | Ireadygo Much i5 | Aurora II | Pipo w2f | Tonsmart Vega S-89h | Lenovo K3 Note | Tronsmart Draco H3 | Raspberry Pi 2

lemmywinks

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 04:21:09 pm »
?102 delivered for the one I have. I bought it for ?60 second hand.

Atom quad core z3735, 2gb ram and 32gb storage.
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

lemmywinks

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 04:26:25 pm »
Btw Monstercameron pretty much every time I go on youtube to look at performance videos of stuff I want to buy your name appears, you have excellent taste in gadgets!
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

Super_L (OP)

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 05:59:24 pm »
I think I will stick with Android for now. I'll wait for the 8-inch Windows tablets to get faster CPU's and more RAM.

So, for the Tegra Note 7, is the frame rate okay? will the ".EMU" series of emulators stutter?

r3l1c

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 10:02:18 pm »
well .. what we have here is the current "next-gen" here ... on one hand .. we have windows camp with Atom Quad and Intel HD ... whereas android camp went for the Atom Quad PowerVR 6th series combo.

What I'm wondering is ... what version of windows/android boards will run ?
64bit can do miracles in certain areas, so it would be essential to find firstly about those INTEL tablets from Asia which architecture is running ( 32/64 )

In addition , despite one set of GPU may have advantage in favor of some emulators, it will be also about the support of coders.. to optimize it. Microsoft has won in a certain area, they have now mobile devices, capable of competition , so they can push for their dirty DirectX game again .... let's hope the coders wont forget the "old times"

But I really hope to see dolphin running on these babies ( even if native res of SD ( 640x480 ) ) enjoyably

jamesensor

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 05:30:01 pm »
Don't forget that more powerful devices, more battery and more energy hungry these devices are.

The arrival of x86 would solve all problems in terms of software, as everything can be run on it. The only emulator I recall that doesn't match windows is DS's Drastic, in terms of efficiency (desmume seems to require a lot of resources and some games are not 100%). But along with all the power that comes with it, so does the energy demand, almost matching Laptops. These can run a lot of software, but on batteries, just a few hours.

Unless they research towards power efficiency, we'll need to carry a laptop "sort of" power supply thing everywhere.

If someone wants to correct me if I'm wrong, go ahead  :) this is a subject that I've thought about recently. It makes sense, no?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:41:47 pm by jamesensor »

lemmywinks

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 10:17:33 am »
The tablet I have (Voyo A1 Mini) runs 32bit Windows 8.1, the Atom z3735 can support 64bit though. Charger is a standard 2.1mm pin size same as most tablets but the z3735D chip requires a 9v power supply (same size though so not bulky), I think other iterations of that chip (like the F) use 5v though so the power adapter is just a generic tablet one. I can keep the battery level topped up with a generic 5v one and it charges if switched off, but it won't charge (ie battery level increasing) during use. Battery life is better than the Android consoles I've had, especially keeping in mind I'm playing fully fledged last gen games on it. The Atom chip seems to be really efficient.

I'm really happy with it though, been playing through Fallout 3 and Neverwinter Nights again and I can tether to my phone for playing Left4Dead online. The clip on keyboard case (hinged, not the folio style) turns it into an 8" laptop which is incredibly useful as it fits in my coat pocket.

The only thing I would mention is that installing games from a DVD or CD can be tricky, the USB port can't supply enough power and seems to disconnect some devices at random even when they are connected to a powered hub. In fact even my Samsung low power DVD drive does this and that operated fine from a single USB port usually. All other peripherals such as memory sticks, mouse and XBox controller work fine through USB though. Have no idea if more recognisable brand tablets do this or not.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:21:47 am by lemmywinks »
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

jamesensor

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 02:39:03 pm »
Thanks lemmy. How is it to play mouse+keyboard games in a tablet? Do you use these to play? I mean, strategy games are terrible to play with a gamepad.

If so, the player must be stationed somewhere to play. It can't be on the go  ::)

lemmywinks

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 03:05:56 pm »
I basically use it like a small laptop when playing most games, the keyboard I got is the one here:
http://kingoftweaks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/make-lenovo-miix-2-8-windows-81-tablet.html

I use that and a bluetooth mouse for playing games, it's very portable but obviously isn't handheld! Screen is fine for playing like this and it's very comfortable, I would add that for the past 6 or so years I have only really used 10" - 12" laptops so I am used to small computers.

I don't really play strategy games but I guess you would need a mouse and keyboard in most cases if they were designed for that, you're probably best looking at Youtube videos for examples of people playing them on tablets. I know Civilization V (think it's that one) has touch support.
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

rotaryfreak3

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 03:58:43 am »
Well reading this thread has certainly confused the issue of which tablet I should get to use with an Ipega 9023 controller lol. Although I see some of you are reporting issues running that controller on Windows tablets.

rotaryfreak3

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 04:57:42 am »
I'm personally leaning towards this one at the moment:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/440932/WinBook_TW802_Tablet_-_Black

Post a new topic