Author Topic: [4.0+][APP] Gamesome Frontend - The first universal emulator frontend for Androi  (Read 56473 times)

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
Would like to see custom firmware with similar UI for Android-based micro-consoles like OUYA...

Vektor (OP)

In the near future i will try coding a launcher using this style for handhelds :)

Ghostwalk

Hi Vektor, thanks a lot for the frontend, I've been testing it the last couple of days and I must say it is quite good already. I really like it.

I have a couple of feature requests/suggestions that would be awesome to see included anytime :)

Currently I am using the front-end in a S7800B with a 32GB card where I can fit some full romsets (NES, GB/C, Genesis, SNES, etc) and I think it would be wonderful to be able to create favourite lists to go directly to the games I use to play the most. It would be really useful for many of us I guess. I would appreciate it a lot at least ;D

Also related to that, I'm facing issues with the metadata in those big romsets, with several games with the wrong info/cover. I don't how the lookup algorithm works, but in my humble opinion, it may be better if it were somehow stricter and only added the metadata for those games found with the exact name of the rom or something to avoid a few of the false positives. Just my 2 cents. An option to rescan manually your collection for missing metadata/covers would be nice as well.

Lastly I have noticed that Retroarch's Nestopia core is missing as an option for NES emulation.  According to this site seems to be one of the bests on Android for that console, so while I am not sure if there is any technical issue by your side, I'd love to see it included if possible.

Regards and keep the good work.

Vektor (OP)

Hi Vektor, thanks a lot for the frontend, I've been testing it the last couple of days and I must say it is quite good already. I really like it.

Thank you :)
Currently I am using the front-end in a S7800B with a 32GB card where I can fit some full romsets (NES, GB/C, Genesis, SNES, etc) and I think it would be wonderful to be able to create favourite lists to go directly to the games I use to play the most. It would be really useful for many of us I guess. I would appreciate it a lot at least ;D

I have lots of extra features that I want to add, but there are some things that are giving me headaches (psp/psx disk images) and this slows down my work, because the mechanism is not perfect, but I got some hints and I'm trying to make everything better, for now the key is stability, then I'll start with decorations and secondary features  :)

Also related to that, I'm facing issues with the metadata in those big romsets, with several games with the wrong info/cover. I don't how the lookup algorithm works, but in my humble opinion, it may be better if it were somehow stricter and only added the metadata for those games found with the exact name of the rom or something to avoid a few of the false positives. Just my 2 cents. An option to rescan manually your collection for missing metadata/covers would be nice as well.
This is the main priority: in "edit data" screen I want to let the user manually set one of the potential matches from a list.
Lastly I have noticed that Retroarch's Nestopia core is missing as an option for NES emulation.  According to this site seems to be one of the bests on Android for that console, so while I am not sure if there is any technical issue by your side, I'd love to see it included if possible.

Regards and keep the good work.

Looks like I've missed nestopia, added it :)

Ghostwalk

Many thanks for the replies! Looking forward for future versions  8)

bamboori

the free .emu apps are still incompatible...
was it not possible? did you not look into it yet? or will it be in the next update? :)

Vektor (OP)

the free .emu apps are still incompatible...
was it not possible? did you not look into it yet? or will it be in the next update? :)

I tried to add them, but the free .EMU apps are still coded the old way and won't allow to execute a rom from another app. My apologies for not keeping you updated, I also tried to send a mail to the developer and I'm still waiting :)

bamboori

thanks for the heads-up :)
thats too bad really. i hope the developer will update the .emus (and even better the free ones too :p)

Vektor (OP)

Nvidia USA sent me a Shield, so expect improvements in controller support  :)

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
Wow, now that's the recognition!

Dcpmark

• My handheld collection

Awesome! Can't wait for Shield support!
Devices: Nvidia Shield Portable, PS Vita, 3DS XL, PSP 2000 (hacked), DS Lite (hacked), Dingoo A320, GP2X, GP2X with NGage D-pad mod, GP32 BLU, Gizmondo, NGage, GBA Micro, GBA SP, GBA, Sega Game Gear, Atari Lynx, NEC TurboExpress, Sega Nomad

Vektor (OP)

Awesome! Can't wait for Shield support!

What would you, and anyone else, expect by controller support?
Feedbacks are welcome. Let's make Gamesome better ;D

lenslarque

Hello
I'm trying your fronted and all seem good for me except one point, I can find a good rom (iso) format for PSX, I mean no problem to play in retroarch but there is nothing Gamesone

I suppose I missed something
What is the good extension ? .ecm ? .bin ?

Thank again for your work

Vektor (OP)

Hello
I'm trying your fronted and all seem good for me except one point, I can find a good rom (iso) format for PSX, I mean no problem to play in retroarch but there is nothing Gamesone

I suppose I missed something
What is the good extension ? .ecm ? .bin ?

Thank again for your work

Hi,

supported formats are bin, iso, img, pbp. no ecm or other compression format.

lenslarque

Hi thank for your help

Hum something is wrong, I'm trying with one .bin and one .img without success (not problem in retroarch)
The path is good and I tried with the both retroarch rearmed or mednafen

GuZzO

You've done an awesome job !!! I'm grateful for it !!

I have a quick question :
-all the "oid" emulators works well !
-all the ".EMU" don't launch directly the game but it remains only one tap to play, so no problem !
-but with Retroarch, Gamesome launch the emulator but i have to browse myself trough the directories to find the game and launch it

Is that the normal behaviour ?

lenslarque

-but with Retroarch, Gamesome launch the emulator but i have to browse myself trough the directories to find the game and launch it

No, not for me, are you sure the roms paths are good ?

Alphos2000

What about better Dreamcast support? I use .chd games (compressed format from .gdi supported in reicast) and Gamesome doesn't find any game.

Vektor (OP)

Hi thank for your help

Hum something is wrong, I'm trying with one .bin and one .img without success (not problem in retroarch)
The path is good and I tried with the both retroarch rearmed or mednafen

I can't really say what's wrong. Gamesome tries detecting the game infos. If it can't find the SYSTEM.CNF file it just skips the disk image. If you're running some kind of homebrew/unofficial/patched game expect this behavior.

You've done an awesome job !!! I'm grateful for it !!

I have a quick question :
-all the "oid" emulators works well !
-all the ".EMU" don't launch directly the game but it remains only one tap to play, so no problem !

It's not normal behavior, .emu works, be sure to have the latest updated versions from the play store, old releases don't work. Retroarch is fine for me, even for RetroArch be sure to have the latest build from store. I can't handle all the unofficial nightlies/builds/versions.

What about better Dreamcast support? I use .chd games (compressed format from .gdi supported in reicast) and Gamesome doesn't find any game.

Hi,
I don't have so many chd games to test, the ones I have work for me.

lenslarque

No homebrew or unofficial game but  I don't have any system.cnf file so maybe this is the problem ?  I have found some files from different sites but all without SYSTEM.CNF

Post a new topic