Author Topic: [4.0+][APP] Gamesome Frontend - The first universal emulator frontend for Androi  (Read 56439 times)

a330boy

This is just a minor concern, but in this video (at 1:54)
<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190316035214/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jJqvU9ONRE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jJqvU9ONRE</a>
I saw that every Console logo makes very good use of the circle they're in, EXCEPT for the Game Boy Advance, whose logo is very wide, but not very high, so it's almost as thin as a line in the circle

This problem could be solved by putting the "Advance" part in a new line, which is still a viable option, like here:

GuZzO

did you find out why some PSX iso (such Tekken 3 Pal version) make Gamesome crashing ?
Not tried yet, but there are 2 possible causes:

- System.cnf isn't located properly
- The game id isn't in the psx games list (I hardly doubt it)

You might also want to try renaming your .iso to .bin or vice versa even if gamesome should be able to automatically understand how to read the file.

Once the update is ready I'll probably release an app that lets you choose a psp/psx/dc file and will show you all the information it manages to get from the file. The app will be open source, so the recognition algorithm can be improved by contributors.

Do you think is there a way to manage the "System.cnf badly located" to avoid the crash of Gamesome ?
Do you have a release date for the next version ?

Great job once again !!

Vektor (OP)

Do you think is there a way to manage the "System.cnf badly located" to avoid the crash of Gamesome ?
Do you have a release date for the next version ?

Great job once again !!

The only thing you can do to prevent crashes is avoid inserting those files in the PSX rom folder at the moment, the identification algorithm has to be fixed. I can set gamesome to ignore such games to prevent the crash.

There's no release date, the new update will be out when it's ready  :)

I'm currently testing a solution to another relevant bug: crashes when you try to scan full romsets, I'm now scanning 5000 files and after 3500 the app is still running (before it crashed after 200-500 files) :D
If this fixes the bug I'll continue working on the new UI and release an update.

Vektor (OP)

I'm currently testing a solution to another relevant bug: crashes when you try to scan full romsets, I'm now scanning 5000 files and after 3500 the app is still running (before it crashed after 200-500 files) :D
If this fixes the bug I'll continue working on the new UI and release an update.

It's taking me some more time to complete it, but I've finally found how to fix the bug that made gamesome crash when downloading data for full romsets! I kept performing some stress tests and Gamesome works as expected!

I hope you will notice the difference :)

SephirothX2004

Hello Vektor,
I love the new update to the Gamesome frontend it looks much better now.
Everything seems to be working great, but when I add my own custom artwork for a blank cover or replace a scanned cover I don't like with my own image it stays blank.
So far the cover art seems to be the only problem for me. Everything else is great.

Vektor (OP)

Hello Vektor,
I love the new update to the Gamesome frontend it looks much better now.
Everything seems to be working great, but when I add my own custom artwork for a blank cover or replace a scanned cover I don't like with my own image it stays blank.
So far the cover art seems to be the only problem for me. Everything else is great.

Hello,

you're not the only one reporting me this problem, but looks like I am not able to reproduce it on my devices.
Which device/android version are you using?

I also made a video to prove that works for me, check that the steps are correct:
<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190316035214/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXWXy0MSkZc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXWXy0MSkZc</a>

SephirothX2004

I am using a Nvidia Shield Portable with root access.
I uninstalled then deleted all the gamesome data then restarted the shield and did a clean install, yet the problem is still present.
I don't understand what is going on.
The older version worked fine so I just might install the older version again until the problem gets fixed which is a pity because the new interface is sweet and the dreamcast roms actually work.

Vektor (OP)

I am using a Nvidia Shield Portable with root access.
I uninstalled then deleted all the gamesome data then restarted the shield and did a clean install, yet the problem is still present.
I don't understand what is going on.
The older version worked fine so I just might install the older version again until the problem gets fixed which is a pity because the new interface is sweet and the dreamcast roms actually work.

I'm using the same device with the latest Android update and it works properly, but I don't have root, while the Nexus 7 (the device used to record the video) is rooted.
I can't really understand what happens, what's the path to the image file? Try some simple path like "/storage/sdcard0/test.jpg", just to check that it doesn't fail because of some character in the path or because of the path length.

SephirothX2004

I found out the problem regarding art. You cant have any spaces in the filename or any spaces in the path to the image for some reason.
I eliminated all spaces in the path and filenames and it works fine now.

Vektor (OP)

I found out the problem regarding art. You cant have any spaces in the filename or any spaces in the path to the image for some reason.
I eliminated all spaces in the path and filenames and it works fine now.

Thank you!
I think the issue is now fixed. I've uploaded a new update on Play Store and will be available within a few hours

Here's the documentation of the issue.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:09:40 pm by Vektor »

jamesensor

Wow, it's been a while since I used my gaming device and this update has some excellent changes!

The UI looks much better, combining some good ideas. Also, you nailed the mega-cd emulation, it works very well!  ;D ;D

Good work Vektor!
PSP 3000 | PSP Go | Ps 2 | Xbox Original | Ireadygo Much i5 | Aurora II | Pipo w2f | Tonsmart Vega S-89h | Lenovo K3 Note | Tronsmart Draco H3 | Raspberry Pi 2

SephirothX2004

Thank you!
I think the issue is now fixed. I've uploaded a new update on Play Store and will be available within a few hours

Here's the documentation of the issue.

No worries man, I'm just glad that this much needed emulator frontend is out there. :)

I've also noticed that if you select a system category for example the Gameboy advance with your finger using the touch screen you lose controller navigation function in that menu.

I've also found two other more personal problems that others probably wouldn't even care about.

-When I press the back button to exit roms playing from retroarch it no longer goes directly back to the gamesome menu but instead goes to the retroarch menu with the resume content, select core and quit retroarch options. Not sure if it is a gamesome problem or a retroarch problem.

-png files no longer have transparency as I use these files for certain system menus like mame cover art where I have a rounded icon.

These are but minor nitpicks of mine.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:24:15 am by SephirothX2004 »

foleyjo

Hey Vektor
I love all the changes you made.
I have one request though. Is there anyway you can get it to do update the rom lists in the background?
Everytime I go to a different app, get a phone call or my sceen just goes off it stops and then restarts when I go back to it

Vektor (OP)

No worries man, I'm just glad that this much needed emulator frontend is out there. :)

I've also noticed that if you select a system category for example the Gameboy advance with your finger using the touch screen you lose controller navigation function in that menu.

I've also found two other more personal problems that others probably wouldn't even care about.

-When I press the back button to exit roms playing from retroarch it no longer goes directly back to the gamesome menu but instead goes to the retroarch menu with the resume content, select core and quit retroarch options. Not sure if it is a gamesome problem or a retroarch problem.

-png files no longer have transparency as I use these files for certain system menus like mame cover art where I have a rounded icon.

These are but minor nitpicks of mine.

Be assured that I'll improve the input support  in next updates. I just released an update that fixes image transparency, but you might need to set your custom covers again :(

Hey Vektor
I love all the changes you made.
I have one request though. Is there anyway you can get it to do update the rom lists in the background?
Everytime I go to a different app, get a phone call or my sceen just goes off it stops and then restarts when I go back to it

I can do this, but it will take me some time  :)

What I'm going to do now is create and upload a new app on the play store with the sole intent of showing you what the psp/psx/dreamcast scanner sees, this way a game is not shown the user will be able to send me a report with what the scanner sees and what it should be.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:56:12 pm by Vektor »

JACK81

Very cool update ! :)

Anyway to set a custom artwork path ? Or named covers files same as rom files in the same directory ?

Thanks you

Vektor (OP)

Very cool update ! :)

Anyway to set a custom artwork path ? Or named covers files same as rom files in the same directory ?

Thanks you

Sorry but not yet, I'm working on it though  :(

the_pope667

Hi i purchased your app and it rocks :)

I do have some feature requests tho,

Could we customize the amount of columns so we can have bigger covers?

Also NES.EMU supports the Famicom and the Famicom Disk System, so can you add those?

A custom folder for all artwork? as it can take up alot of space on the internal memory and can save rescanning.

A start at boot feature would be awesome :)

I use custom covers but what rom renaming tools do you recommend for your scanning algorithm to get the best results?

I know its alot but i do love this tool

thanks

Vektor (OP)

Now that it looks like the core of the app is stable enough, I will put some effort in enhancing the UI the more I can.
Also NES.EMU supports the Famicom and the Famicom Disk System, so can you add those?
Wasn't aware of the disk system, but isn't Famicon just japanese name for NES? What if I just add the disk system to the platforms (or just add the .fds extension to NES)?
A custom folder for all artwork? as it can take up alot of space on the internal memory and can save rescanning.
I want users to be able to put their custom covers in the specific folder to make them automatically detected. I was working on this, then I had to change the way Images are handled and I'm working on a new solution.
This can be done.
I use custom covers but what rom renaming tools do you recommend for your scanning algorithm to get the best results?
Gamesome can recognize (not all) roms automatically and for each recognized rom there's a preset title, taken from a built-in list. When a game is not recognized, what matters is the file name: all the parts between [] and () are removed so that hopefully only the game title remains.
For all the platforms except MAME-FBA-NeoGeo the title has to be the same - or very similar - to the one on http://thegamesdb.net

ricardo85x

Hi Vektor

I would like to suggest a way to select a random game.
As we have a full set and can't decide which game to play.

Thanks!

the_pope667

Now that it looks like the core of the app is stable enough, I will put some effort in enhancing the UI the more I can.
Wasn't aware of the disk system, but isn't Famicon just japanese name for NES? What if I just add the disk system to the platforms (or just add the .fds extension to NES)?
I want users to be able to put their custom covers in the specific folder to make them automatically detected. I was working on this, then I had to change the way Images are handled and I'm working on a new solution.
This can be done.
Gamesome can recognize (not all) roms automatically and for each recognized rom there's a preset title, taken from a built-in list. When a game is not recognized, what matters is the file name: all the parts between [] and () are removed so that hopefully only the game title remains.
For all the platforms except MAME-FBA-NeoGeo the title has to be the same - or very similar - to the one on http://thegamesdb.net

There are plenty Famicom Disk System Exclusives, some just having better sound. Super Mario 2 is a completely different :)

Post a new topic